Skip navigation
Gemini146
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Reader won't print

Jul 30, 2009 2:39 PM

I have Adobe Reader 9.1.2 installed on a Dell computer using Windows XP Pro.  Recently Adobe Reader upgraded to the version I now have installed.  I've tried to print from the PDF document to my printor (HP Photosmart D5360) and get a message that it cannot print.  Prior to upgrading to Reader 9 I had no problems.  I thought I could uninstall and go back to Reader 8.  I tried to Uninstal though the Windows Control Panel and received the message "The patch package could not be opened.  Verify that the patch package exists and you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify this is a valid Windows Installer Patch."   I tried installing Reader 8 but it identified that I already had a valid Adobe Reader and closed down.  The original download came from the Adobe site and the upgrades come from Adobe. Talk about frustration...I can't print the document; I can't uninstall Reader 9.1.2; and I cant' contact Adobe.  Anyone with a solution other than throw the computer out a window?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 30, 2009 8:44 PM   in reply to Gemini146

I would suggest you re-install the printer driver or look for a newer one. That will usually work. If you want to remove the program from your system, you can use the Microsoft Installer Cleanup Tool.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 4, 2009 2:15 PM   in reply to Gemini146

Gemini146...

I've ran into many, many, many circumstances like these and if the uninstall from add/remove does not work, what I would recommend is for you to delete the directory c:\program files\adobe and c:\program files\common files\adobe

Then try the installation of what ever version you want. The install should proceed.

If not (which had always been rare for me) then the next step I would advise (since windows installer clean utility didn't work)... is to go into the registry

(regedit) and click on Edit, find

type in: adobe reader

or        adobe

and search the entire registry and delete each entry that it finds associated with Adobe Reader only

Of course, you need to know how to differentiate between what's for Adobe Reader and what's for Adobe Acrobat (granted that you do have Acrobat installed)

Is there risk involved with this method? Yes... but if you know your computer and know your way around the registry, you should be fine.

Also, make a backup of your registry as well as create a Restore Point before doing all this. Just to be on the safe side.

Then proceed with re-installing Adobe Reader and you should be ok.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points