Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign CS4 window fills screen at open

Aug 1, 2009 9:32 PM

I just installed Adobe CS4 Design Premium version 6.0.3.  When I open a document using InDesign, the window nearly fills the 30" screen on my Apple HD Display.  I would like to adjust the window size so that it frames an 8.5"x11" portrait document with only a little margin all the way around.  When I do this and save the document, it always opens to the same, large window.  It would be much more efficient if I could set the window size to the desired dimensions so that it would open in that configuration and not in the large version.  I can't seem to make that happen.  Any ideas?  Thanks for any help you can give.  I'm running 10.5.7 on a Mac Pro (Early 2008) with 2GB RAM and plenty of hard drive space.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 2, 2009 6:45 PM   in reply to John Boyden

Someone posted a script in the forums within the past few months that can help you. You open a document, reset the document window size and then run the script and it remembers that size. So next time, you just run the script on any open document and it resets the window size to your selected size. And since you can apply a shortcut to the script, it's easy to do.

I wish I could point you to that script, but I've found the forum search engine almost impossible to deal with since they switched the forum format. Hopefully someone else will come along to give you a link to the previous posting.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2009 2:13 PM   in reply to Tom Usrey

Not sure how this will come across, but here is the Javascript (it works in CS3) - with my apologies to the author, whose name I have lost:

//DESCRIPTION: Resets active window size or uses front window to set default size.

// Check for WindowDefault.txt; if present use it to set front window
    // if not, use front window to set it after checking with user.

myPath = app.activeScript;
    myParts = myPath.toString().split("/");
    myParts[(myParts.length - 1)] =  "WindowDefault" + app.version.slice(0,1) + ".txt";
    myNewPath = myParts.join("/");

mySettingsFile = File(myNewPath);

// Before proceeding, check that there is a front window
    // If not, offer user the chance to delete the current settings
    if (app.windows.length < 1) {
    beep();
    if (confirm("No window is open; would you like to delete the settings file?")) {
      // User said yes; check that it exists
      if(mySettingsFile.exists) {
       mySettingsFile.remove();
      }
    }
    } else {

if (mySettingsFile.open("r")) {

savedBounds = mySettingsFile.read();
      mySettingsFile.close();

myBounds = savedBounds.split(",");
      for (i = 0; i<myBounds.length; i++) {
       myBounds[i] = Number(myBounds[i]);
      }
      app.windows[0].bounds = myBounds;
    } else {
      beep();
      if (confirm("Settings file is missing. Use current front window to set default?")) {
       // User said: go to it.
       new File(mySettingsFile);
       mySettingsFile.open("w");
       mySettingsFile.write(app.windows[0].bounds);
       mySettingsFile.close();
      }
    }
    }

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2009 7:11 AM   in reply to John Boyden

this question is marked as answered but it doesn't sound as if John achieved the desired result. I too would like to fix this problem. I've recently upgraded to CS4 and now the first thing I need to do whenever opening a document is resize the window. I would very much like to restore the performance of CS3 to remembering the window position. I am also a scripting newbie so if this is the correct fix, I'd appreciate some insight on how to apply it. Thank you very much.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2009 7:18 AM   in reply to --rick_D

What I've done is manually stretch the Window to where it would be if it were maximized. ID seems to remember this.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2009 10:22 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Thanks for the reply. I'm actually trying to go the other direction. It currently does maximize to the screen, I would like not to do this. My preferred method for placing images into documents, is to drag them onto the page from the finder windows. To do so means having windows viewable and when inDesign maximizes to my monitor edge, I loose all view of other windows.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2009 12:18 PM   in reply to --rick_D

FWIW, you'd have an easier time using Bridge.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2009 7:20 AM   in reply to John Boyden

John, to create the Javascript version, copy and paste the code that I posted in Post 2 into a plain text editor. Save the file as plain text with the extension ".jsx" (without the quotes). Navigate to this location on your computer: (your user account) > Library > Preferences > Adobe InDesign > Version 6.0 > Scripts > Scripts Panel. Inside this folder, create a new folder named "Version 5.0 Scripts" (without the quotes). Place the file you just created in this new folder. Go back to InDesign and open the Scripts panel and make sure the User folder and the Version 5.0 Scripts folder are expanded so that you can see the file you just created. Then follow my instructions in Post 1.

Hope that makes sense, and good luck - it's been a while since I installed this on my computer and my memory isn't what it used to be. Just wish I had noted who posted the script, to give them credit for the work.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2009 11:46 AM   in reply to John Boyden

John, I can't view your attachment, but I have found the original post where I found the script. Here's the link:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1278543#1278543

Credit goes to Dave Saunders for writing the script. Please follow his directions on using it. (Like I said earlier, my memory isn't what it used to be.)

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2009 12:31 PM   in reply to Tom Usrey

thanks for the explanation. I was successful at getting this to work but needed to place the jsx in the Applications folder/inDesignCS4/Scripts/Scripts Panel/Samples/JavaScript. I couldn't get it to show in the pallet when placing it in the user library.
    It works as predicted (I need to learn how to create a shortcut for this so I can invoke it with an f-key) and is faster than resizing manually. But I'd still prefer a solution that works without any extra steps as did CS3. Either a way to automatically run the script whenever a document is opened, or an edit to the preferences. I find it odd that Adobe made this change and didn't include any alternatives.
    Thanks again for the assistance.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2009 12:49 PM   in reply to John Boyden

I used BBedit lite v6.1.2

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2009 12:57 PM   in reply to John Boyden

John, Text Edit will work for this, but make sure that you have the Preferences set to Plain Text before you Save.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2011 2:51 PM   in reply to --rick_D

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2011 3:02 PM   in reply to Tom Usrey

Be aware that this script does not seem to function reliably in CS5. Occasionally, it will surprise me and work, but usually the system just beeps isntead of running the script.

Oddly, it works fine in CS4 running at the same time as CS5.

Also, I've had to set the windows to float. It didn't work in CS4 (for me) when the documents were opened in the application frame / tabbed.

HTH.

-mt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2011 7:49 AM   in reply to MT.Freelance

The issue seems to be related to Mac OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard and InDesign CS5. Rob Day provided me an Applescript that works where Dave Saunders' javascipt does not.

There seems to be an issue with Snow Leopard allowing scripts to access documents in the finder. Dave's script writes a simple text document that it later accesses for the document window position and size. Likely, this is not an issue in any flavor of Windows.

Oddly, with the combination of Snow Leopard and CS4 Dave's script works for me, but Snow Leopard and CS5 it does not.

Here is Rob Day's applescript for any who are interested and are having issues with Dave's Javascript working with InDesign CS5 and OS 10.6:

Rob Day wrote:

I'm finding scripts that reference the finder in OSX 10.6 break even in a version folder. It looks like Dave's script stores the screen dimensions in a text file so it can be etited by non scripters, which might be over kill for such a simple task. You could try this Apple script, edit the x & y properties for position and w&h for window size:

property x : 0
    property y : 50
    property h : 800
    property w : 1100

tell application "Adobe InDesign CS5"
        set properties of active window to {view display setting:high quality, bounds:{x, y, h, w}}
    end tell

-mt

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 6:15 AM   in reply to MT.Freelance

Rather than using a script, one can do the following:

From the Menu Bar (TOP) Try WINDOW>Application Frame (instead of Application Bar). Resize your "Frame" to your liking and when you create a new document the same size should come up.

Can use this for documents that are already created as well. After resizing the "Frame", open your already created file and tah dah, to size. Close and open again, and....to size.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2012 4:26 AM   in reply to Daniel M Schwartz

Dear Mr Schwartz

You are fabulous, thanks...

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2013 4:43 PM   in reply to Daniel M Schwartz

As with many others, I found InDesign's default behavior bizarre. Why fill a 27" monitor, even putting the document behind the palettes?

If you choose WINDOW>Application Frame (instead of Application Bar), as mentioned above, you can then tear off the character and paragraph bar and place it where you want.

Now the document window stays at the size you set it. It's acceptable to me that the Application bar stays attached to the document window, just barely.

Unfortunately, the character and paragraph bar can't be added to any other palette and can't be made vertical, and if you resize it too short, there's no indication of what's missing in your view.

This is all very strange for an application as mature as InDesign CS 6..

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2013 3:23 PM   in reply to Klahane

I could not find a suitable and EASY answer for this.

------

So with a little button pushing, this is what I did in CS5:

1. Open a new InDesign document.

2. Resize the window to your desired size.

3. Go to "Window" then to "Workspace."

4. Scroll down to "New Workspace"

5. Type in "My Workspace" (or whatever you want to name it) Select "Panel Locations" and "Menu Customization" click "OK"

6. Save this document to your desktop (name does not matter, you can delete when done.)

7. Open a New document (or an existing doc) again and the workspace is as you like it.

EASY!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points