Skip navigation
AI_in-training
Currently Being Moderated

Extract font from an image

Aug 18, 2009 10:15 AM

Hi all,

I'm new to AI and am trying to edit a PDF file (which I'm gonna attach) created with AI. There's a text (NATURALLY RAISED CLOTHING) in this PDF (as part of the image) that I need to either edit or duplicate with the same font and size. I didn't think I could edit it so I tried to duplicate it and then edit it. My problem is that I can't find the right font. Is there some way to find out what font has been used? Also I want the new text to be as wide as the current one so is there any way to stretch or align text with other objects (on both sides)?

Thanks so much.

Kate

Attachments:

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 18, 2009 10:35 AM   in reply to AI_in-training

The text in your PDF seems to have been converted to outlines, already, so I'm not sure if there's an easy way to identify the font. You might try converting to jpg and using a font identifier such as http://new.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/. According to that method, your font is Avenir Black. The WhatTheFont forums there are a good resource for font identification, as well, if you can't get the font identifier to give you an accurate match.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2009 1:18 PM   in reply to AI_in-training

If you don't have the Avenir Black font, you will need to purchase it. Adobe has this font available for $29 at

http://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/store/html/index.cfm?store=OLS-US&even t=displayFont&code=AVEQ10095000

The reason that your letters look the way they do in your example is because they have a 1-pt stroke applied to them. You need to adjust your fill and stroke colors for your text. If you want the text to be gray, then your fill color should be gray and you should turn off your stroke (set it to transparent/no-stroke). Currently, you have the fill set to black and the stroke set to gray. I've attached a couple of screencaps to help you out.

Attachments:

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2009 1:19 PM   in reply to AI_in-training

If you need the font then you will need to purchase it. Try fonts.com but be warned fonts can be expensive.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2009 5:48 PM   in reply to AI_in-training

You can adjust the horizontal spacing between characters using the Character Palette (access this through the main menu Window>Type>Character or keyboard shortcut Ctrl/Cmd-T). See attached. A higher value will result in a larger space in between characters, and vice-versa.

Each individual character in your original PDF had its own anchor due to the fact that the the text had been converted to outlines (if I remember correctly). You can achieve a similar effect by selecting the text and then going to Type>Create Outlines (keyboard shortcut Shift-Ctrl/Cmd-O) and then ungrouping the text outlines. This will give you indvidual control over the each character/glyph, but the characters/glyph will no longer function as text, per se, since they have essentially been converted to shape objects that maintain the same shape as your font. So, the Character Palette (along with any other Type tools) will no longer be applicable to your text after you convert it using Create Outlines.

Attachments:

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2009 5:55 PM   in reply to AI_in-training

Hello Ai_in-training,

If you open the PDF file go to the main menu: File + Properties.

In this window, select the "Font" Tab and you will se the name of the font (MyriadPro-Regular)

I think this font comes with Mac and PC computers.

I hope this helps!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2009 6:33 PM   in reply to Skullmaker

Hi Skullmaker,

Myriad Pro Regular is the font used for the text in the slug area, which hasn't been converted to outlines. The O.P. was looking for a way to identify the font for the "Naturally Raised Clothing" text in the artwork, which has been converted to outlines, and unfortunately the font information associated with it was lost when that happened.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2009 8:53 PM   in reply to gprobst

Hello Gprobst,

You are right. I made the mistake of not opening the file in Illustrator. And you are right about the font (it is Avenir Black). Thank you for correcting me!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points