Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Chrome, Firefox, IE all crash when leaving page with flash

New Here ,
Aug 21, 2009 Aug 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am running XP with SP 2 on a Intel Core Duo Dell machine. These are coporate machines. I've had two in the past two weeks and both are giving me the same error.

After installing the latest flash player, all browsers are able to load a flash page. However, when leaving that page for another, all browsers stop responding. They don't crash, they merely freeze.

Chrome indicates that the flash plugin has crashed and would I like to terminate it. The others simply stall.

I've uninstalled, re-installed, rebooted.. etc.

Interestingly enough, a fellow coworker who appears to have the same machine as I, does not have this problem.

Any ideas on how to debug this ?

Thanks

J

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2009 Aug 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i seem to have the same problem too....

chrome tells me that Shockwave plugin has become unresponse then says its crashed....

Firefox becomes unresponsive (i've left it in that state for quite a while..result nothing)

i uninstall flash using the uninstaller provided from adobe (or from add and remove programs, tried both options) and browsers run perfectly fine... of course access to flash content lost since i need the plugin...!

I'm running Vista Home Edition SP2

antivirus - AVG Free

particular websites that i use (all of them with flash content crash!!!) and that crash EVERY time - youtube, bbc.co.uk, facebook, gmail, f1-live.com, all sites with flash crash!!

i've tried everything i could find on firefox forums, chrome forums, and here... nothing works... now i'm gonna revert to flash 8 and try... hopefully adobe will respond to this problem... its not jus one or two who are facing this problem...!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2009 Aug 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the older version also doesnt work (tried 9)...

oh and no new programs were installed recently so this problem is FLash related... 

hope adobe is reading this....!! its very frustrating.... after 2-3 days of trying all sorts of things i still have no solution.... how can this problem be solved....?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2009 Sep 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem on my corporate computer and it just started in the last couple of days. I tried reinstalling flash, rebooting, uninstalling other plugins, using IE, and installing Chrome. They all freeze after viewing a page with flash and I have to terminate the app. I also tried installing Flash 9 and 7 and neither worked.

My coworkers don't seem to be having the problem. I tried looking for an alternative to Adobe Flash Player, but they're all Linux-based. I'm running Windows XP SP 2. I don't have this problem on my home computer (Windows 7 RC). I'll see if I can submit a support ticket.

Update: After Firefox froze, I left it on and eventually it started working after about 15 minutes. Now it works fine. I tried it on IE and Chrome as well. After the first page with flash, they froze for about 15 minutes and then started working fine. Weird.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2009 Sep 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also run into this issue. My older corporate laptop (a Dell) running 32-bit Windows XP was working just fine, until I ran across a web page (www.deltaco.com's menu page) that, for some reason, didn't work with the version of flash I already had even though other pages (including other pages on the SAME website) worked fine, flash included.

So, I updated the flash plugin with the newest version from adobe. After then, I was not able to view more than 1 or two pages before firefox would lock up and had to be killed. I tried uninstalling EVERYTHING, firefox (including personal settings -- bye bye history, bookmarks, passwords, etc...). Firefox would continually lock up until I uninstalled the Flash player, then everythign was fine again (except for flash plugins).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2009 Sep 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

after a few (quite a few i must say!) of installs and uninstalls (flash, firefox, chrome, with loss of all settings bookmarks etc ) and system restarts it finally started working... but a couple sites (dont remember which ones) i still get flash update request but things still do work....

hope u guys get urs sorted out too i know how frustrating it can be...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2009 Oct 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got the same problem with flash locking up/crashing when leaving a page that's got flash content.

Flash Player plugin kills both Firefox and Chrome.  Firefox will lock up for several minutes, Chrome actually throws up error message boxes indicating that the Flash Player pluging is crashing.  Simply disabling the plugin on Firefox's Tools->Add-ons menu is enough to prevent the lock-ups, but of course, now there's no flash content.

I've got two PCs here on my desk, with virtually identical setups, and only one of them is having the flash lockup issue.  I've tried reinstalling flash player at least 20 times, as well as reinstalling Firefox and Chrome multiple times, all to no effect.

Windows XP SP3, Firefox 3.5.3, Flash Player 10.0.32.18 (also had the problem with 10.0.12.36)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2009 Oct 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys, I'm having the exact same issue. It was working previously on FP10, but I put FP9 on because of a compatibility issue with our website, I needed to test something. But theres so much requiring FP10 now I had to reinstall, now I can't bloody use my browsers!

I've gone through flash player archives and tried all versions 9 an 10 in the archives and I CANNOT get it working. I can watch a video on youtube, then click another link or go to any page and then it freezes. I've gone back to using Chrome because it allows me to kill flash without the whole browser and then the next page loads.

I have used the uninstall program each time before reinstalling a different version of flash and its still a no-go.

I use FP10 at home no problem,  but here at work is where I'm having the issues.

One major difference is I'm behind a proxy here at work, I'm not sure if its the same for you guys.. Any of you guys got anywhere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2009 Oct 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I *am* behind a proxy here at work.  However, I have two PC's at work and both are behind the proxy, one works, one does not.  The difference may be that one PC is running the Microsoft ISA client (the one that works) and the other just relies on the proxy settings in IE/Firefox/Chrome (the one that doesn't work).

I might just go and try installing the ISA client on my non-working PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2009 Oct 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you believe after all that..

I deleted my windows user profile and its working fine now (except I have to restore all my windows settings)

Hope that fixes it for everyone also, although not an ideal solution..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines