AFTER EFFECTS WISHLIST

Aug 31, 2009 8:39 AM

Latest reply: genoden, Mar 26, 2014 10:37 AM
Replies 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 17, 2010 8:12 PM   in reply to DC B. 09
    function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Den B. 09 wrote:

1. Picture this. You have several layers that display the same text (main layer, shadow layer, adj layer, etc). Currently you have to link the text source fields together, but say, what if that text has to change dynamically (via another script or with the use of keyframes). That's what a text expression control could be very handy for. One can simply add it to the Null adjustment layer along with custom checkboxes, sliders, etc. At the current stage I have to use a separate text layer and link to its text source and make it invisible, that is not as convenient as having a standalone keyframable control.

I teach a method to fake 3D extruded text using an epression to place a layer in z-space based on index value, and then duping that layer until you achieve the desired thickness.  In this case I simply link the source text to the original text layer on the first dupe, and then THAT layer is the one I pull out for the extrusion.  I never hide anything to control the source text.

Maybe I am just not getting it, but I don't see the point of having a source text controller on a null to do this same thing.  It seems redundant to me.

I'm not trying to be hardheaded here, I really want to understand what it is that you are trying to convey, if it involves more than what I described above.  Because I love expression controllers and the idea of a text expression controller is intriguing, just can't clearly see the use for it yet.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2010 11:25 AM   in reply to Chas Naylor

Chas Naylor wrote:

Den B. 09 wrote:

1. Picture this. You have several layers that display the same text (main layer, shadow layer, adj layer, etc). Currently you have to link the text source fields together, but say, what if that text has to change dynamically (via another script or with the use of keyframes). That's what a text expression control could be very handy for. One can simply add it to the Null adjustment layer along with custom checkboxes, sliders, etc. At the current stage I have to use a separate text layer and link to its text source and make it invisible, that is not as convenient as having a standalone keyframable control.

I teach a method to fake 3D extruded text using an epression to place a layer in z-space based on index value, and then duping that layer until you achieve the desired thickness.  In this case I simply link the source text to the original text layer on the first dupe, and then THAT layer is the one I pull out for the extrusion.  I never hide anything to control the source text.

Maybe I am just not getting it, but I don't see the point of having a source text controller on a null to do this same thing.  It seems redundant to me.

I'm not trying to be hardheaded here, I really want to understand what it is that you are trying to convey, if it involves more than what I described above.  Because I love expression controllers and the idea of a text expression controller is intriguing, just can't clearly see the use for it yet.

It simply makes it tidy if text field control can be grouped with the rest of expression controls, and if you read my example, it eliminates the use of a separate text layer.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2010 7:28 PM   in reply to DC B. 09

I believe this is accomplished now by pickwhipping to a text layer's "Text Source" property... which is also keyframable! By having an Expression text control, you'd lose all sorts of formatting and manual kerning. If you have used any old effects that require you to type into a text box, it's a pain.

How would a text box be better?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2010 7:28 PM   in reply to Andrew Yoole

If you use the Duplicate command on a folder, the new duped comp references the old footage. To me, that doesn't make sense.  Everything in the duplicated folder should reference the same files, but in the new duplicated path.

I wish this would get "fixed", or have an option for relative vs.  absolute duplicates.

Current Behavior (absolute path)
    Desired Behavior (relative path)
    Screen-shot-2010-02-18-at-8.50.56-PM.gif

Screen-shot-2010-02-18-at-8.50.56-PM2.gif

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2010 7:56 PM   in reply to Navarro Parker

That's what I typically do, though there are some instances where I find using the layer name or even a property name (for properties with editable names) is a better solution.

That said, if you are using any of these methods to put text into a text layer's Source Text property, you will lose all that special formatting anyway. Every character will be formatted with the properties of the first character in the modified text layer's original source text.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2010 8:00 PM   in reply to Navarro Parker

The complicating factor here is that folders in the project panel don't necessarily reflect the structure of the comp/footage networks you want to duplicate (i.e. the source footage or nested comps might be on an entirely different path).  I'd like to see a "duplicate comp network" command to do what you are requesting.

I keep meaning to write a script to do this, but I never quite get around to it.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2010 12:47 PM   in reply to A. Cobb

I completely see your point of view.  But to me, when you hit Duplicate on a folder, you are cloning the folder "universe", so assets should refer to the relative paths in their "solar system" if possible.  The behavior I want is the same as if I did a collect file, then imported that aep as another project.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2010 2:35 PM   in reply to Navarro Parker

I'd definitely like this capability without the hoops you currently have to jump through to perform this task now, but I'm not sure I'd want this to be the default behavior when duplicating a comp.  There are plenty of instances in which I want to duplicate a comp but have the duplicate reference the original nested comps.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2010 7:22 PM   in reply to Andrew Yoole

I'd like to see a Premiere Pro -style cross dissolve effect. Maybe there is some better way that I'm not aware of, but at the moment I'm creating cross dissolves by adding opacity keyframes, which can get a bit tedious if you need a lot cross dissolves in your timeline.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2010 7:57 AM   in reply to Andy Bay

I haven't checked to be fully sure, but I'd bet 99% that there is something like this in the animation presets.  I do my xsitions by hand so that's why I am not fully sure.  But research animation presets and you will find what you are looking for

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2010 5:43 PM   in reply to Andrew Yoole

I'd love the ability to access the Mesh data of the puppet tool via script. This would allow the export of the vertex points and let you do things such as creating puppet-like animations in real time in Flash (easily using engines such as Away3D, or custom built for this purpose).

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2010 2:05 PM   in reply to Andrew Yoole

How about this one -- I'm sure someone brought this up before -- the ability to open more than a single project at once.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2010 5:44 PM   in reply to Andrew Yoole

The "Fade In Over Layer Below" preset will automatically fade one clip into the other and the transition length is based on how much the clips overlap eachother.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2010 6:08 PM   in reply to Andrew Yoole

Thanks guys -I was hoping there would be something like that! I was simply searching with the wrong terms like "cross" and "dissolve"

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2010 7:26 PM   in reply to Andrew Yoole

How about an HDR color picker?

These guys are doing some really interesting things with HDR color and negative light.

http://www.filterforge.com/download/beta2/hdr-support.html

Screen shot 2010-02-27 at 9.23.22 PM.png

Screen shot 2010-02-27 at 9.24.37 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2010 3:46 PM   in reply to Andrew Yoole

The main reason I use photoshop over AE in some situations is the  ability to make good selections/mattes.

I would like to see the possibility to make photoshop-style selections also inside AE. For example,  it would be nice to have a magic wand/quick selection kind of tool that would automatically create mask shapes on layers based on mouse clicks.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2010 2:15 PM   in reply to Andrew Yoole

I suppose this has been mentioned before:

Have AE treat image sequences like single files in the file dialog box. (Much like how Lloyd Alverez' "Immigration" script works) A real time saver when dealing with multi-pass 3D renders.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2010 11:59 AM   in reply to Andrew Yoole

I'd like to be able to affect comp settings (dimensions-wise anyway) by using a Comp Crop Tool.

It often happens I'd like to downsize a comp based on something that's already placed within a comp.

Currently I need pull up the Comp Settings to do this.

If I have an element/elements not exactly in the center, then they need to be moved as I tweak the comp size down.

A Comp Crop Tool would be really, really handy.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2010 12:23 PM   in reply to John Stanowski

John Stanowski wrote:

I'd like to be able to affect comp settings (dimensions-wise anyway) by using a Comp Crop Tool.

It often happens I'd like to downsize a comp based on something that's already placed within a comp.

Currently I need pull up the Comp Settings to do this.

If I have an element/elements not exactly in the center, then they need to be moved as I tweak the comp size down.

A Comp Crop Tool would be really, really handy.

Yes, I agree, it would be nice to visually resize the comp instead of messing with numbers. Sometimes it might be handy.

As for your resizing dilemma, John, you can use Anchor buttons in the Composition -> Composition Settings -> Advanced tab, which by the way, definitely have to be moved to the Basic tab of the Comp Settings window.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2010 12:42 PM   in reply to DC B. 09

If I remember correctly you can crop the comp dimensions to the region of interest, which kind of is a visual way to do the cropping.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2010 1:16 PM   in reply to Andy Bay

Wow, yes it does. Awesome, that's just what I need.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2010 12:03 PM   in reply to Andrew Yoole

Make looping video or a portion of a video easier. This is simple in Flash and AE could similar techniques.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2010 12:33 PM   in reply to sbbmanagementco
    Make looping video or a portion of a video easier. This is simple in Flash and AE could similar techniques.

You can loop a source footage item as many times as you want in the Interpret Footage dialog. Just enter the number of repetitions in the Loop field.

Also, you can loop a section of a layer in the timeline with Time Remapping.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2010 12:40 PM   in reply to Adolfo Rozenfeld

Ok, here is my question:

I want to continuously loop the last 3 seconds or so of the main video. I also want the revolving photos pre-comp at the end to loop inside of the 3 second loop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijEfMHp4yBE

Any help is appreciated!

Adam Sabourin

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2010 12:53 PM   in reply to sbbmanagementco
    I want to continuously loop the last 3 seconds or so of the main video. I also want the revolving photos pre-comp at the end to loop inside of the 3 second loop.

As I replied in the other thread, playback of AE content is sequential. Making a section of a layer loop is quite simple, but it will require that you actually extend the duration of the Composition.

The steps would be:

1. Select the Layer and go to Layer > Time Enable Time Remapping.

2. Place a Time Remapping keyframe (current value) at the point you want to use for the start of the loop.

3. Place a Time Remapping keyframe at the the point in the layer in which you want to place the end of the loop.

4. Set this last keyframe to Hold (Right click the kf > Toggle Hold). This will avoid the loop jumps back and forth.

5. Extend the layer duration. Select the two keyframes and copy and and paste them to the right as many times as you want.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2010 1:10 PM   in reply to Adolfo Rozenfeld

Yup, that will do it.

Another, maybe slightly faster way would just be to split the

footage at the loop in point (split layer: ctrl/cmd+shift-d), and then duplicate that layer (ctrl/cmd-d) as many times as you want to loop it, sequencing it to the loop out point of the loop layer below it on the timeline.

This is more of the manual way but it gets the job done quick and dirty.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2010 1:16 PM   in reply to Chas Naylor

Chas: It looks like a lot of steps because I tried to explain it to someone who may be not an experienced AE user. It actually takes 15 seconds to do. And if was for ultimate speed, instead of repeating keyframes, you could use a loopOut() expression and do it all in no time (and keep it super easy to update, change the looping section, amount of repetitions, etc)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2010 1:28 PM   in reply to Adolfo Rozenfeld

Hey I hear ya.  I actually teach motion graphics and compositing at a design college

, and I just know that it helps to give my students a few different ways to skin a cat.

The way I suggested would be what I would show to my intro level students.  The time remapping and expressions (and I am familiar with both) would be what I would show to my intermediate to upper level students.

I personally use time remapping all the time, and find it to be a supremely powerful feature of AE.  And for you and me, it is very quick to do.  For someone just learning that curve goes up a bit.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2010 6:04 PM   in reply to Andrew Yoole

Compatibility of all 32-Bit plugins with 64-Bit future versions of After-Effects

It's the role of Adobe to make this compatibility possible, otherwise it would remove many functions in this software.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2010 8:58 AM   in reply to noel_d3

The ability to add folders to the render queue to help organize it would be great.

Also, having an enable/disable checkbox or toggle next to the folder when collapsed would help the user re-render all contents of that folder in one foul swoop!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2010 11:28 AM   in reply to noel_d3

All plugins will need to be rewritten/recompiled to support x64.

They aren't compatible with 32bit and no, it is not Adobe's job to do this; it is the plugin developer's job.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2010 11:33 AM   in reply to David Wigforss

> All plugins will need to be rewritten/recompiled to support x64.

They aren't compatible with 32bit and no, it is not Adobe's job to do this; it is the plugin developer's job.

We've been working closely with a large number of plug-in developers to make this go as smoothly as possible. See this post on Michael Coleman's blog about how things have been going. I can't give details, but I can say that I've been watching the process from the inside and am very pleased with how well things are coming along.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2010 2:29 AM   in reply to Andrew Yoole

Hello

I saw on this page that you recommad " A 64-bit edition of Microsoft® Windows Vista® or Windows® 7". What about XP pro 64 ? should i install windows 7 64 for best performance ?

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2010 8:26 AM   in reply to Maxluere

> What about XP pro 64 ?

No.

should i install windows 7 64 for best performance ?

I'm happy with Windows 7 on one of my computers running both the current version of After Effects and the development builds of the next version.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2010 12:35 PM   in reply to Andrew Yoole

Need Scripts Palette.

I think this was mentioned earlier, but something needs to be done with the Script menu UI. It's pretty unmanageable when you have a lot of scripts.

Just like the Effects Palette, a Scripts Palette would allow groups, folders, organization, and Quickfind search boxes. Here's the menu mess I have to deal with now...

scripts.pngdockablescripts.png

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2010 12:37 PM   in reply to Navarro Parker

Same for the Window Menu. With Test Gear and Red Giant PlaneSpace installed my Windows Menu is about to roll off the bottom of the screen.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2010 4:48 PM   in reply to Navarro Parker

To make running your most commonly used scripts easier, use the LaunchPad script. There's a link from this page.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2010 12:39 PM   in reply to Andrew Yoole

-Rename multiple comps.

-Replace PSD layered files (can’t believe this isn’t integrated).

-Ability to select multiple comp Markers.

-An Expression spreadsheet (list of  expressions and their corresponding layers/comps properties).

-Composition/ layer spreadsheet:   Considering how complicated projects can get, It would make sense to have a spreadsheet whereby functions can be preformed across multiple comps/layers.

-Flowchart that shows the entire chain of selected comp/nested comps, images, layers, FX,  etc.

-Expression Reset functionality.

-Lights to effect 3D objects.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2010 9:36 PM   in reply to Navarro Parker

> AE is always a version behind in supporting the latest PSD features (like CS4's Vibrance adjustment).

After Effects CS5 added new Color Correction effects based on Photoshop adjustment layer types. When you import PSD files with these  adjustments, they are preserved:

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points