Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Inability to install AIR applications on mac os x

Apr 22, 2008 1:53 PM

To say this is a frustration is an under statement :) I have recently just bought a mac pro and installed the AIR runtime no problem. However, when I try and install and AIR application, whether downloaded from a site or one of mine created from Flex I am presented with the following error:

quote:

Sorry, an error has occured The application could not be installed because the AIR file is damaged. Try obtaining a new AIR file from the application author

I have tried with mulitple applications i.e. Adobe Media Player, Twhirl etc to no avail. I have uninstalled, restarted, installed, restarted, installed prior Beta versions, upgraded, quit most 3rd party software applications in case of conflicts.... all fail.

I am using mac os x Version 10.5.2 on a mac 2 x 2,8ghz quad core intel xeon.

Help pls, I have to write an article on AIR for a mag and am not keen on using the 'ol slow mo laptop ;)

Simon

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 22, 2008 3:17 PM   in reply to Simon Bailey
    Please capture a log file as described at http://blogs.adobe.com/simplicity/2007/10/air_installer_logging.html.

thanks,
    Oliver Goldman | Adobe AIR Engineering

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2008 8:28 AM   in reply to Simon Bailey
    I have the same problem. I saw the error when I tried to install an AIR app which is already installed on the system before. If I remove the app on my system and use the install badge, I can install it fine.

I've found out that if I set <customUpdateUI> to false and my install badge works again. I am trying to find a way to fix it so I can use both custom update UI and the install badge together.

Any suggestion?

quote:

Starting app install of http://www.raysquare.com/test.air
    UI SWF load is complete
    UI initialized
    Downloading file to /private/var/folders/A8/A8JNeb-ZESiThFev5neT7++++TI/TemporaryItems/Fl ashTmp0
    Received HTTP Response Status event
    Response URL is http://www.raysquare.com/test.air
    Waiting for user confirmation
    User confirmed action: install
    Converting to /private/var/folders/A8/A8JNeb-ZESiThFev5neT7++++TI/TemporaryItems/Fl ashTmp1
    Conversion is complete
    AIR file is bound to version 1.0
    app id C6DBEEA1-D1F2-4291-9AC5-CF629633C3FA
    application is bound to this version of the runtime
    Application is installed? true
    Application handles updates; launching it
    Failed while converting AIR file: [ErrorEvent type="error" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="Error #2004" errorID=2004]
    Starting cleanup
    Installation exited

Raymond

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2008 8:56 AM   in reply to Simon Bailey
    Some of my customers are getting the same problem. Is anyone from Adobe even concerned about this? I've got about 20 people with the same problem, mostly on Macs but some on PCs too.

Here's one logfile:
    Starting app install of file:///Users/<me>/Desktop/EarthBrowser.3.0.1.air
    UI SWF load is complete
    UI initialized
    Converting to /private/var/tmp/folders.14651219/TemporaryItems/FlashTmp0
    Failed while converting AIR file: [ErrorEvent type="error" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="internal crypto error" errorID=0]
    Starting cleanup
    Installation exited

Adobe? "Internal Crypto Error"? Anyone?

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2008 9:58 AM   in reply to Simon Bailey
    Concerned, yes, but still unable to reproduce this.

Can anyone confirm this error is occurring on Windows? A log file file from a failing Windows install would be appreciated.

thanks,

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2008 9:20 AM   in reply to Simon Bailey
    Thanks for your effort in trying to narrow this down; the additional information you've provided is helpful. We're working on it.

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2008 3:13 PM   in reply to Simon Bailey
    Please try the following two experiments, if possible, and let us know the results.

1) Attempt to install an AIR application while off-line.

2) Delete the folder ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/AIR/CRLCache and then try installing again.

thanks,

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2008 12:40 PM   in reply to Simon Bailey
    Hi Pickle Jar,

we have tried to repro your issue via transplanting the users to a different drive. Unfortunately, we were still unable to repro your issue.

Since the problem is following your user account, can you try the following?

1: create a new user account and move it to the other drive to confirm that you do not see the problem with the new account.

2: if that is the case, it will appear that there is something in your home that the AIR application installer is incompatible with - we can try to narrow that down further

3: you said that you repaired your disk for permissions problems -> can you also run Keychain and perform first aid on the Keychain while logged into the account that is giving you problems?

Thanks,

Nobuo

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2008 11:38 AM   in reply to Simon Bailey
    Simon:

We've tried to reproduce this with relocated user folders, per your post on 5/14, again with no luck.

It's possible there's a conflict from php, mySQL, etc. If you could narrow it down to the specific product there's a conflict with then we can try to reproduce that issue. Is that something you can try?

Our other option is to try debugging this further on your machine, if that's ok with you. If you could send me a private message, we can talk about how to go about arranging that.

thanks,
    Oliver Goldman
    Adobe AIR Engineering

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2008 5:47 AM   in reply to Oliver Goldman
    I wanted to jump in here and say that I am having the same issue. AIR runtime installs just fine. Every application I try to install, though, gives the "the air file is damaged" error message.

I've tried everything mentioned in this thread (deleting the AIR directories, different user accounts, reinstalling, etc, plus rebooting multiple times. No joy.

What's interesting is absolutely no problems on my Mac Pro Desktop, but can't get anything to work on my Mac Book Pro laptop. Both are Intel machines. The MacBook Pro is an early model with a CoreDuo processor, but I don't see why that would make a difference.

This is really frustrating.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2008 9:59 AM   in reply to dsa01
    AIR install logs if these reveal anything:

Starting app install of file:///Users/dave/Downloads/twhirl-0.8.1.air
    UI SWF load is complete
    UI initialized
    Failed while converting AIR file: [ErrorEvent type="error"
    bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="Unhandled exception
    Error: Error #2014" errorID=2014]
    Installation exited

Starting app install of file:///Users/dave/Downloads/SpazAIR.air
    UI SWF load is complete
    UI initialized
    Failed while converting AIR file: [ErrorEvent type="error"
    bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="Unhandled exception
    Error: Error #2014" errorID=2014]
    Installation exited

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2008 4:42 PM   in reply to dsa01

Just curious. Do people who have trouble installing AIR applications also have MobyDock? We have received reports that MobyDock causes failures in AIR application installations. Please disable MobyDock if you ahve it installed and retry installing your AIR application again.

Thanks,
    Jose

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2008 8:16 AM   in reply to Jose Wong
    I've never heard of Moby Dock, so no, I don't have it installed.

I had hoped 10.5.3 update would resolve my problems, but it did not.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2008 8:34 AM   in reply to Jose Wong
    Same problem so I'm watching this thread. I get "The application could not be installed because the AIR file is damaged. Try obtaining a new AIR file from the application author." Running OX 10.5.3 on G5. No Mobydoc. Tried suggestions you've listed no luck.

I was able to manually install AIR, but can't get AIR apps including the new Pandora app.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2008 9:26 AM   in reply to Simon Bailey
    @chrisdat: This same dialog appears for a number of different specific errors. You should capture a log file of the failing application install to determine the precise cause. It may be an issue with a known resolution.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2008 9:36 AM   in reply to Oliver Goldman
    Since AIR files are really just zip files (I think)...is there a way to manually install them?

I've kind of given up on the AIR apps I wanted, but I fear that AIR may become more popular and it will start becoming an issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2008 10:59 PM   in reply to Oliver Goldman
    Hey Oliver. I know this is a bit of a non-sequiter, but I'd just like to thank you for participating in the forums. It totally gives everyone a 'warm fuzzy' that AIR engineers are looking in to see if there are any bugs.

Again, thx. I know it's time-consuming and frustrating communicating with us sometimes, but it's greatly appreciated.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2008 3:21 PM   in reply to Jose Wong
    I am having the same problem as pickle jar on my mac os x 10.4.11. I cannot seem to make anything work. I have tried reinstalling, changing permissions on the folders and Installer. Not sure if I can work with AIR now. Will try it on Ubuntu later, but I really wanted to see it on MAC.

Here is my install log:
    Performing runtime install
    UI SWF load is complete
    UI initialized
    starting user confirmation
    Installation type: new
    starting elevated install
    subinstaller: starting install
    subinstaller: Scheduling runtime installation operations
    subinstaller: Beginning runtime installation
    subinstaller: Beginning install
    subinstaller: Copying /Volumes/Adobe AIR/Adobe AIR Installer.app/Contents/Frameworks/Adobe AIR.framework to /Library/Frameworks/Adobe AIR.framework
    subinstaller: Copying /Volumes/Adobe AIR/Adobe AIR Installer.app to /Applications/Utilities/Adobe AIR Uninstaller.app
    subinstaller: Saving /Applications/Utilities/Adobe AIR Uninstaller.app/Contents/Frameworks/Adobe AIR.framework/Versions/Current/Adobe AIR Application Installer$
    subinstaller: Copying /Applications/Utilities/Adobe AIR Uninstaller.app/Contents/Frameworks/Adobe AIR.framework/Versions/Current/Adobe AIR Application Installe$
    subinstaller: Deleting /Applications/Utilities/Adobe AIR Uninstaller.app/Contents/Frameworks/Adobe AIR.framework/Versions/Current/Adobe AIR Application Install$
    subinstaller: Copying /Volumes/Adobe AIR/Adobe AIR Installer.app to /Library/Frameworks/Adobe AIR.framework/Versions/1.0/Resources/Adobe AIR Updater.app
    subinstaller: Saving /Library/Frameworks/Adobe AIR.framework/Versions/1.0/Resources/Adobe AIR Updater.app/Contents/Frameworks
    subinstaller: Copying /Library/Frameworks/Adobe AIR.framework/Versions/1.0/Resources/Adobe AIR Updater.app/Contents/Frameworks to /private/var/tmp/folders.501/$
    subinstaller: Deleting /Library/Frameworks/Adobe AIR.framework/Versions/1.0/Resources/Adobe AIR Updater.app/Contents/Frameworks
    subinstaller: Copying /Volumes/Adobe AIR/Adobe AIR Installer.app/Contents/Frameworks/Adobe AIR.framework/Versions/1.0/Adobe AIR Application Installer.app to /A$
    subinstaller: Registering /Applications/Utilities/Adobe AIR Application Installer.app/Contents/Info.plist
    subinstaller: chown of /Library/Frameworks/Adobe AIR.framework completed with status 0
    subinstaller: chown of /Applications/Utilities/Adobe AIR Application Installer.app completed with status 0
    subinstaller: chown of /Applications/Utilities/Adobe AIR Uninstaller.app completed with status 0
    subinstaller: Execution complete; beginning commit phase
    subinstaller: Deleting /private/var/tmp/folders.501/TemporaryItems/FlashTmp0/file1
    subinstaller: Deleting /private/var/tmp/folders.501/TemporaryItems/FlashTmp0/file2
    subinstaller: Commit complete
    subinstaller: install complete

AND my appinstall.log
    tarting app install of file:///Users/alexiicarey/workspace/AIR/To_Do_List/TodoList.air
    UI SWF load is complete
    UI initialized
    Unpackaging to /private/var/tmp/folders.501/TemporaryItems/FlashTmp0
    failed while unpackaging: [ErrorEvent type="error" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="invalid package signature" errorID=5022]
    starting cleanup of temporary files
    application installer exiting

Any help in this area would be relieving. Thank you

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2008 3:21 PM   in reply to Jose Wong
    The error I get is when I try to run an .air application in the AIR installer. It says :

Sorry, an error has occured The application could not be installed because the AIR file is damaged. Try obtaining a new AIR file from the application author.

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2008 3:39 PM   in reply to Simon Bailey
    @Alexii: Your log file actually indicates a different problem from the one pickle jar is encountering. In your case, you appear to be trying to install an invalid AIR file. Do you have this problem with all AIR files? Or only this one?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2008 9:02 AM   in reply to Simon Bailey
    I had the same issue with the crypto error message. After deleting all certificates from the Login keychain it started working. I am suspecting it might be caused by a self signed personal or CA certificate. I did not play with it further but I am pretty sure I could track it down to the offending cert.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2008 10:35 AM   in reply to Simon Bailey
    @stjohnsj: Thanks for the info. That's consistent with the failure, and would also explain why we haven't been able to reproduce it. If you could narrow this down to a specific cert and make it available that would be much appreciated.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2008 12:14 AM   in reply to Oliver Goldman
    I found the offending certificate. It was added to my keychain by Apple Mail simply because I had received a digitally signed email from a person using this certificate some time ago. That explains why the issue is so random with a lot of users. Please contact me so that I can email the cert to you directly.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2008 6:03 AM   in reply to stjohnsj
    Have you guys made any progress in figuring out why some can't install any application and only get the "air file is damaged" issue?

The air files aren't damaged, the exact same file installs flawlessly on my desktop, but not a single app will install on my laptop, as indicated in previous posts.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2008 8:40 AM   in reply to Simon Bailey
    @dsa01: We've made progress on some issues and not on others, as this thread makes clear. Note that the "AIR file is damaged" message is somewhat generic, and appears when a number of different individual errors occur.

The error message you encountered and posted above is from an earlier release of AIR. If you could re-try with AIR 1.1, we can take another look at the particular issue on your machine.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2008 9:00 AM   in reply to Oliver Goldman
    quote:

Originally posted by: Oliver Goldman
    @dsa01: We've made progress on some issues and not on others, as this thread makes clear. Note that the "AIR file is damaged" message is somewhat generic, and appears when a number of different individual errors occur.

The error message you encountered and posted above is from an earlier release of AIR. If you could re-try with AIR 1.1, we can take another look at the particular issue on your machine.

Yes, I tried with Air 1.1 this morning before posting here. Same message. I tried with Spaz and Twirhl packages. "air file is damaged" message on both programs, freshly downloaded this morning.

What do you suggest I try at this point. Was about ready to write off AIR altogether until my RSS feed showed some life in this topic again the last two days.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2008 9:20 AM   in reply to dsa01
    I too thought there was no progress. I installed 1.1 this morning. It seemingly installed fine. But when I tried Adobe Media, or Earth Browser Air apps - I get the Air file is damaged message still. Below is my log file:

Starting app install of file:///Users/christinedattilo/Desktop/EarthBrowser.3.0.4.air
    UI SWF load is complete
    UI initialized
    Unpackaging to /private/var/folders/9c/9c2l9zRf2RWQ1++BYv7eNU+++TM/TemporaryItems/Fl ashTmp0
    failed while unpackaging: [ErrorEvent type="error" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="internal crypto error" errorID=0]
    starting cleanup of temporary files
    application installer exiting

Thanks for taking a look - I'd love to use Air - Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2008 9:27 AM   in reply to Simon Bailey
    @dsa01: We'll need a current install log from your machine to make any more progress on your particular case.

@chrisdat: Per stjohnsj's comments above, this is sometimes caused by an invalid certificate in Keychain. I recommend exploring that option. Please let us know what you find.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points