Skip navigation
bk843746
Currently Being Moderated

From silverlight to flex

Sep 1, 2009 2:40 PM

Hi

I'm an moderately experienced Silverlight programmer and I'm just starting with Flex. I'm beggining to understand the language but I'm running at problems trying to accomplish similar tasks in Flex.

1) Flex can declare a variable as type Function but can it declare a variable as a specific function? (i.e. a C# delegate)

For example

Is the following possible where SomeFunction is defined elsewhere? If so how is SomeFunction defined.

var value:SomeFunction;

2) I understand the syntax "var value:*" but what is the name for this type of declaration?

3) Does Flex support abstract classes? Does Flex support abstract methods?

4) Does Flex support reflection (i.e. querying an object type definition)? If so how does this work?

5) Is it possible to convert value in "var value:*" to a string for debugging (i.e. dump the properties and their values to the trace command)?

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 2, 2009 7:38 AM   in reply to bk843746

Hi

1) Flex can declare a variable as type Function but can it declare a variable as a specific function? (i.e. a C# delegate)

For example

Is the following possible where SomeFunction is defined elsewhere? If so how is SomeFunction defined.

var value:SomeFunction;

Do you mean this:

var traceParameter:Function = function (aParam:String)
    {
        trace(aParam);
    };
    traceParameter("hello"); // hello

or

function traceParameter(aParam:String)
    {
         trace(aParam);
    };

var otherFunction:Function = traceParameter;

you can find more in the flex help under Functions

2) I understand the syntax "var value:*" but what is the name for this type of declaration?

I'm not quite sure about this one but I just simple call it * type(very creative )

3) Does Flex support abstract classes? Does Flex support abstract methods?

No, it doesn't support abstract classes... but there is some sort of workaround, in your "Abstract" Class create the methods and in each abstract method just thorw an Error indicating that this method has to be overriden

4) Does Flex support reflection (i.e. querying an object type definition)? If so how does this work?

Yes, look in the help for getDefinitionByName and getQualifiedClassName... here is a Sample to dinamically create a class

var ClassReference:Class = getDefinitionByName(getQualifiedClassName(entity)) as Class;
    var tmpClass:* = new ClassReference();

you can also get the class attributes by calling

describeType() wich returns a XML with the class definition or calling ObjectUtil.getClassInfo

also, you can use a string to query an object lets say, person["name"] is the same of using person.name, it is pretty dynamic but not recomended for performance and code bad practice reasons...

5) Is it possible to convert value in "var value:*" to a string for debugging (i.e. dump the properties and their values to the trace command)?

I haven't tested this one but you could cast the object to String -> String(value) or try the toString method

Hope some of this can be usefull

Gus

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points