Skip navigation
Christy8401
Currently Being Moderated

Cannot Delete Adobe Reader 9 Installer after failed download

Sep 8, 2009 10:30 AM

I tried to download Adobe Reader 9 and the installation froze around 83%.  After multiple attempts I tried downloading an older version (Adobe 8) and it worked but the installation folder for Adobe 9 is still on my desktop and it will not let me delete it. I have already tried using the Windows Install cleanup tool but it did not work. Any other ideas on how I can get rid of this installation program?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 8, 2009 11:20 AM   in reply to Christy8401

I am also having a similar problem.  I started with Reader 9.1.x.  When I received notification that an update was avail, I tried to download it.  I got an error message 1402  HKEY...xxxxxx  Unfortunately, I did not write it down.  I could neither update nore delete Reader.  Someone told me to so something (?) don't remember what.. but it reverted me back to Reader 9.0.  However, I still have the same problem.  I can neither update nor delete using Control Panel.  But I no longer get the error message.. just the note from Adobe that it failed.

Not a guru, I'm afraid to go into Registry.

Also, having looked at the error messages on the Adobe site, It tells me what to do.. using control panel, delete Reader. but, I don't see that in Control Panel any longsr.. I have Reader 9 in my Programs. but not in CP.

What I have in CP is:

Acrobat.com

Adobe AIR

Adobe Download Manager

Adobe Flash Player 10 Plugin

Adobe Photoshop Elements 7

and

Spelling Dictionaries support for Reader 9

Any help appreciated

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2009 11:31 PM   in reply to BillSplaine

I got it to work.. I deleted Acrobat.com from Start | Control Panel | Add or Remove

Tried that on a lark cuz I hadn't heard back.  Then I was able to download the latest version.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2009 1:21 AM   in reply to Christy8401

I had same situation. Was able to delete by the following: (don't know why)

In Windows Explorer dragged the Adobe AIR folder from Desktop to another folder (which

removed it from the desk top display). Then just deleted it from the other folder.

Hope it works for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2009 7:51 AM   in reply to johnklah

Thanks.. I managed to find a way to make it work.. I had no Adobe Reader in my list of programs when I went to Start | Control Panel | Add/Remove..  I took a  chance and deleted Acrobat.com.. that allowed me to reload the latest v of Reader.  I hope it didn't mess anything else up.

Bill, Healdsburg, CA

Woodcarvings: www.picturetrail.com/chips

Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 02:21:27 -0600

To: chipz40@hotmail.com

Subject: Re: Cannot Delete Adobe Reader 9 Installer after failed download Cannot Delete Adobe Reader 9 Installer after failed download

I had same situation. Was able to delete by the following: (don't know why)

In Windows Explorer dragged the Adobe AIR folder from Desktop to another folder (which

removed it from the desk top display). Then just deleted it from the other folder.

Hope it works for you.

>

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points