Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

DVD archive to HD

Sep 10, 2009 1:14 AM

Since the HD capacity grows I am thinking of archive my DVD projects, made with premiere/encore (complete with menustructure etc.), on HD. This had to be done without any quality loss, and the possibility to use the archived projects for burning a DVD again when nesessary.

I am thinking about copying the DVD I have produced to an external HD (the DVD's can be copied, no cracking of security codes required).

I don't know if this has crossed someones mind before, but is there any trusted software to make an archive in HD, or do someone know a possibility to do this?

Thanks

Chris Nierop-The Netherlands

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 10, 2009 1:02 PM   in reply to moonplace

Chris,

I do similar on a series of 2TB external HDD's. I just copy over the entire Project's folder structure to the external. Note that my Assets are always included in the Project's folder structure, so there is no problem there. Note: to work with these Projects again, I'd copy everything back to the internal HDD that they came from, so there are no problems with drive letters.

One could also use Save_As and point to the external. This creates a duplicate folder structure, but you'll probably have to manually copy over your Assets.

If this is not what you wish to do, please correct me.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2009 11:14 AM   in reply to moonplace

Chris,

You could copy either the VIDEO_TS folder to the En Project folder structure, or perhaps an .ISO of the DVD. Either of these alternatives would allow you to burn another DVD easily later. If you think there might be a need to re-author, I'd keep copies of all the En Project too, as ripping from a Burned DVD (even if Burned to Folder), is not the most tidy of things. If you KNOW that you'll never need to do any re-authoring, then just the VIDEO_TS, or the .ISO file will suffice.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2009 2:52 PM   in reply to moonplace

Once you have chosen Burn to Folder in En, you will have your VIDEO_TS folder, located where you direct En to write it.

I'd use the free ImgBurn to physically Burn to DVD disc.

You can do the same thing, if you direct En to Burn and ISO file to a folder. ImgBurn will handle that for you too.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2009 3:23 PM   in reply to moonplace

Chris,

Glad that it worked for you, and thanks for reporting,

Hunt

BTW - which answer did you think was the best?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2009 7:20 PM   in reply to moonplace

I have not bought one of these (yet) but the idea looks interesting to easily copy files to an external drive

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?S=1268&ID=1731

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points