Skip navigation
osyrys808
Currently Being Moderated

Importing Flash animation into Catalyst

Sep 10, 2009 3:34 AM

Is Catalyst yet capable of importing and using movie clips made in flash, or it can only use static images on layers from Photoshop and Illustrator?  If not, I'd like to say that I really like the idea of making Flash animation movie clips how I usually do, but then being able to utilize them in the Catalyst environment.  So for example le't say I want to create rollover animations for buttons, could I make that in Flash and then bring that into Catalyst?

Also, do I need CS4 to use Catalyst?  Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 10, 2009 11:49 AM   in reply to osyrys808

Hi,

Catalyst does have the ability to import SWF files. However, you can't import a FLA file, and you can't break down the individual objects and timelines of a SWF file in Catalyst. In your example, you could create a button in Flash Pro, export the SWF, and import it into Catalyst. You could not, however, create some movie clips and use them as the state transitions of a Scrollbar component.

You don't need CS4 to use Catalyst, although you do need Illustrator CS4 to use the "Edit in Illustrator" feature.

Thanks,

-Adam

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2009 8:54 AM   in reply to osyrys808

Flash Catalyst Beta II is now available and it has enhanced swf control features.

You import swf files via File > Import SWF

To control SWFs use the SWF actions available in the "Add Action" popup menu in the Timelines panel.

So to make a swf play on rollover in a button

1. create a button

2. double click to edit it

3. import a SWF file into the button

4. Select the Up > Over transition and select the SWF

5. In the Timeline, choose Add Action > SWF Controls >Play

6. Select the Over > Up transition

7. In the Timeline, choose Add Action > SWF Controls > Pause

Ty

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2010 8:39 AM   in reply to osyrys808

Hello osyrys808,

I have the same problem. I am trying to use an animation made in Flash, but Catalyst is just unable to make it work. All I see is the first frame from the animation.

I consider this a huge problem, besides poor transitions ability between states.

Maybe there is something to make it work, or, maybe they will come with a small upgrade to the existing version.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2010 11:33 AM   in reply to al bundy 72

Hi,

The SWF won't play its animation unless you create an interaction in Catalyst that plays it.  For example, try this:

1. In Catalyst, create a Button next to your imported SWF
    2. In the interactions panel: Add Interaction > On Click > Play Action Sequence
    3. Select the SWF asset
    4. In the Timelines panel: Add Action > SWF Control > Play - play()
    5. Run your project and then click the button

- Peter

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2010 11:41 AM   in reply to Peter Flynn (Adobe)

Thank you for your advice.

But I do not want to play an animation when I press a button, or something else. I want the animation to play by itself. Something similar to a banner, or an animated background...

Thanks for your kindness.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2010 12:08 PM   in reply to al bundy 72

Hi,

That was just a simple example for the sake of illustration.  You can trigger the action based on other things besides button click.  For example:

• To play the animation as soon as your project loads, make sure you have nothing selected and then use the Interactions panel to add an On Application Start interaction.
    • To play the animation as soon as you visit a particular state, add the SWF Control > Play action to the transition(s) that lead to that state.
    • To play the animation when the SWF itself is clicked, add the On Click interaction to the SWF itself rather than a Button.

Hope that helps,

- Peter

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2010 12:21 PM   in reply to Peter Flynn (Adobe)

Thank you; it definitely helps.

I do have one question> can you apply specific transitions in between the states, besides the simple translation? Something like the transitions you can apply in Flash? I read you cannot apply .swfs to transitions, but can you create some in Catalyst? And I am not talking about just fading in and/or out, or crossing the stage.

Thanks a lot.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2010 12:29 PM   in reply to al bundy 72

Can you be more specific about the types of transition effects you want to create? It's hard to answer your question without more specifics.

In general, you can create quite a wide variety of transition animations within Flash Catalyst, but it definitely does not offer as much flexibility as Flash Pro.

- Peter

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2010 12:35 PM   in reply to Peter Flynn (Adobe)

Well, from what I saw in the trial version, you cannot break apart images for more complex animations. Am I right?

I cheked to see how I would be able to create a starting animation (an animation that plays by itslef) following your advice, and I saw I had to create another state in order for the animation to work by itself. Was it another way to do it?

Thank you again.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2010 1:18 PM   in reply to al bundy 72

Actually, I does not see any animation which is not made in AS.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2010 2:42 PM   in reply to al bundy 72

Hi,

Creating transitions in Flash Catalyst does not require writing any ActionScript code.  Although animation in Flash Catalyst is most commonly created via state transitions, you can also create animation without states by using an action sequence (which you can trigger from any interaction, just like a state transition).

Here are some video tutorials introducing animation in Flash Catalyst:

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-flash-catalyst-cs5/gs05-adding-transit ions-between-pages-and-states/
    http://tv.adobe.com/watch/flash-catalyst-cs5-feature-tour/working-with -transition-timelines/
    http://tv.adobe.com/watch/flash-catalyst-1-1-with-doug-winnie/wirefram es-come-to-life-with-transitions-episode-6/

Hope that helps!

- Peter

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2011 6:37 AM   in reply to Peter Flynn (Adobe)

Hi,

It does not seem to work for me either ...

I have a state in which I would like to load two swf files. When I load the first swf file it shows the f-sign to replace the actual swf instance. If I select it I can see the border of the swf component.

I have created and loaded a second swf file and it shows the full first frame without any indication that this is a flasf (swf) component like with the other component. When running this project I see the first flash file (marked with f) running as I expected. The other swf file is static and shows the first frame only. However when I run this file in Adobe Flash, I see what I expected, which is a dynamic swf.

Can you help ? Am I saving the second sfw file with wrong settings in Adobe Flash (Flash Player 10.2, ActionScript 3.0) ?

Kind regards,

Arnold

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points