Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Why isn't Flash Media Server available for Mac?

Sep 10, 2009 7:38 PM

I've noticed a lot of clients and employers are requesting experience with Flash Media Server. I am a Mac owner and I would like to become familiar with Flash Media Server the problem is it is not available for Mac OS X. Will Flash Media Server be available soon for Mac?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 11, 2009 7:06 AM   in reply to Jrealist

AFAIK, there is no plan for a Mac version of FMS. It seems reasonable to me, as Mac OS has such a small slice of the server market that it would be almost pointless to offer a Mac version.

You can, however, run Windows (on the mac) as a  VM using something like VmWare Fusion or BootCamp, and run FMS on the Windows VM.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2013 10:47 PM   in reply to JayCharles

As far as I can tell, you can't run AMS on Mac even on Windows via BootCamp.  If it doesn't work in Bootcamp it shouldn't work on a VM, either.  When you try to install (AMS 5, haven't tried earlier versions) it says the hardware is incompatible.  I've tried this both on late model Macbook Pros and a Mid-2010 Mac Pro (all intel machines).  Beats me why it wouldn't support as robust an architecture as a Mac Pro though.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2013 11:15 PM   in reply to Jrealist

I've noticed a lot of clients and employers are requesting experience with Flash Media Server. I am a Mac owner and I would like to become familiar with Flash Media Server the problem is it is not available for Mac OS X. Will Flash Media Server be available soon for Mac?

Pretty sure someone has ported it over to run on OSX.

May take a day or two of yelling and screaming. But I don't see why it wouldn't.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2013 11:36 PM   in reply to ospn2012

I would be a lot less sure about that.  The OSMF open source project itself has not had any significant contributions in over two years.  OSMF is required for Multicast which is one of the selling points of AMS - and implementing it is a major pain (I'm speaking from very recent experience).  I don't see anyone outside of enterprise-class using AMS5 and beyond, and I can't imagine an enterprise customer running it on an unsupported port.  I'm pretty sure Adobe will not bother with an official port to OSX until/unless it makes economic sense for them to do so.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points