Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Need to Upgrade Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Standard

Sep 15, 2009 12:15 PM

My office Macintosh computer has Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Standard. (When I click on About Acrobat,  Acrobat 7.0 Standard is in large print, and underneath, in small print is Version 7.1.0 - 4/23/08 4:22 AM. I find that confusing, but I assume I still have 7.0)  I am trying to do a free Acrobat upgrade because I am no longer able to download PDF files from the Internet.

If I bring up Adobe, click on Help, and then "check for updates now..." the lowest update number is 7.0.5.

I went to Downloads on this Adobe website, but couldn't find anything for what I have. I searched the forums, found a question about upgrading Acrobat 7.0, and one of the replies had a link, but it was for Acrobat 7.0 for Windows. 

Does anyone know how I can find the proper downloads to upgrade the Macintosh version of Acrobat 7.0?

Thank you for any help that you can give me.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 15, 2009 1:50 PM   in reply to Tech with Training Wheels

I am not even sure Adobe even still has the updates for 7.1. At one time I had 7 pro but its been so long since I've used it.

They don't even sell Standard anymore because you do about as much with The Macintosh's built in PDF engine as Standard.

My suggestion is if you can afford to do so is go to a store and buy a full version of Acrobat 9 then update it for free.

If it is still can be updated with the application do the following:

go to help menu and choose check for Updates.

if there is a bunch of updates you must the oldest update first, then shut down Acrobat and when update is through. open Acrobat and o the next. and repeat until you updated. Unlike The Mac's Software Update that download and opens each in turn then runs each update in turn automatically Adobes it only allows one at a time. So if your you'll be at it a while.

As I recall if you can locate the 7.5 update you don't have to update any previous version as this is a completely new Application install not just minor updates. AS I recall your about 8 or 9 revision numbers behind.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2009 8:35 AM   in reply to Tech with Training Wheels

Try this liknk:http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=1&platform= Macintosh

Among the items in the list you will see:

SeaMonkeypicture001.png

I don't see a listing for 7.1.2 although it may be there. But you need to download 7.1.1 and install then download 7.1.3 and install, make sure you don't get any version other than multiple Languages or your native tongue which assume is english.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2009 12:52 PM   in reply to Tech with Training Wheels

Tech w/ Training-Wheels wrote:

Dear kind and patient Phillip Jones,

Thank you so much for the missing link with all the updates for older versions of Acrobat. Progress is being made, but I still haven't completely finished the first upgrade. I've run into a problem, which I'll try to explain with the help of a series of snapshots of the monitor screen I've printed off.

Per your last reply I downloaded Adobe Acrobat 7.1.1 Standard Update - Multiple Languages. Once the download was completed I clicked on the download icon, which is titled AcroStdUpd711_all_incr. This opened up a window with a folder icon inside. I clicked on the folder, and it turned into the Acrobat icon with a blue downward arrow - this new icon is titled Acrobat 7.1.1 Std Patch.

I clicked on the Patch icon and opened up a new window which shows a portion of my Applications. At the top of this window is the message "Select the copy of Acrobat 7.0 Standard to update." There's only one copy of Acrobat 7.0, and it is already highlighted in blue. I click on the Choose button, and I get the message "An invalid application was selected."

Yikes, what am I doing wrong? Thank you in advance for your wise counsel.

if you truely have 7.0 Then you need to download the 7.1 update and install first. Then 7.1. then 7.2. (if there is one) , then 7.1.3.

Its tedious, But its adobe's way. the updater's can only read and work on the one exactly previous to update name. in other words 7.1 will only update version 7.0.0. and update 7.1.1 only updates 7.1.0 and so on . why Adobe doesn't do like every other software on the planet i'll never know. For example if you get say an OSX.4.11 Combo Updater it updates everything from OSX.4.0 on. up until the time of the update. In other words say there is a 7.6 update for Acrobat, it should cover from 7.0 on up to 7.6.

What you might do is Look for 7.5 which was free update ,but was actually a complete rewrite. Then look for updates for it. I believe updates went as far as 7.5.6 or 7. You'll have to look and see. Its so long since I have 7.x series. I am up to 9.1.3

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2009 11:29 AM   in reply to Tech with Training Wheels

I added additional information under the other thread you started.

Try repairing Permissions (Disk Utility). Frankly I am stumpted as to why you can't update.

One other Idea: download and install AppleJack for the appropriate OSX (X.4., X.5) (X.6 version is not availaable yet).

The restart and hold down Command (cloverleaf/apple) Key and S.

When screen finishes loading, type: applejack follow directions. you have to run item 3 and 4 both for system and for each user account.

then restart. and Try upgrading. If that doesn't work what else I suggested. I'll have to give up.

BTW you didn't say what system you are using. If OSX.6 all bets are off Your lucky if you can get Acrobat 9.1.3 to work right on it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points