Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

A question regarding using Myriad Pro as a web font...

Sep 15, 2009 4:30 PM

Okay so this is a pretty straight forward question (I think)...

I've been using sIFR to replace many of the typical web fonts on the sites I build since much like everyone else I'm sick of being restricted to using only certain fonts.

Myriad Pro is one of the many fonts I really like for building websites. I discovered recently by accident that Myriad Pro (and a few other variants in the Myriad Pro family) are part of Adobe Reader. This means that ANYONE who downloads Adobe Reader has Myriad Pro installed on their system and probably doesn't even realize it.

Having discovered this it has come to my attention that there is a decent possibility I could use CSS and have Myriad Pro as a web font without even having to render it using sIFR. The problem is that anyone who doesn't have Adobe Reader installed wouldn't see the nice Myriad font.

So my question is what do all of you guys think about this? Does anyone have any actual numbers in regards to how many people actually have Adobe Reader? If it was a higher percentage like 90% then I think this would be a safe solution.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 16, 2009 3:44 AM   in reply to Digital Sky Design

I don't know how many people use Adobe Reader, although I would think it's a fairly high proportion. Perhaps not as high as 90%, though. However, there's nothing stopping you from using Myriad Pro as the first choice in a font-family declaration. Browsers use the first available font. You could use something like this:

body {
      font-family:"Myriad Pro", "Gill Sans", "Lucida Sans", Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;
    }

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points