Skip navigation
duhvid
Currently Being Moderated

Face Tracing on Illustrator

Sep 16, 2009 12:13 PM

Hey guys

I am tracing my face on Illustrator, and I have some trouble with my picture. How do I make Illustartor show shadows and light on the image ? You know, like the light reflecting on my face? We're supposed to trace it by guiding the different shades of my face color, ligher or darker. Thanks for your help.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 16, 2009 12:52 PM   in reply to duhvid

duhvid,

Based upon supplementary paths, you may use blends and meshes.

All paths, including the main ones shaping the face, are  best made with the Pen Tool.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2009 1:46 PM   in reply to duhvid

You don't say what version of AI but you might try some of the artistic effects under Effect>Artistic>Cutout or Brush Strokes>Accent Edges on a copy of the photo to give you some pointers as to the areas with similar color characteristics.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2009 1:48 PM   in reply to duhvid

duhvid,

It's hard for me to see the Light and Dark of my facepicture. Is there any way I can see them more clearer ?

Different amounts of light, especially less light, use of a b/w image, to mention a few.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2009 2:53 PM   in reply to duhvid

While having your face selected in Illustrator, look at the top panel right under the menu. You'll see the options for "Live Trace". Click and hold the tiny box with the down-pointing arrow and hold the mouse downLiveTrace1.jpg.

It will drop down a menu of built-in options for converting your raster image into vector art. Choose "Tracing Options..." down at the bottom of the menu and it will bring up a dialog box with a lot of optionsLiveTrace2.jpg.

I would suggest selecting grayscale for the mode and then you can play around with the "Max Colors" number to show more or less detail. I've attached screen shots of where to locate the Live Trace options and another screen shot of the Tracing Options dialog box so you can see the settings I used and the results I got. After you get the settings you want, click "Trace". There's one more step to turn it into editable vector artwork—while your picture is still selected, click the "Expand" button above. You then have total control of what colors you might want to use and unwanted shapes you might want to reshape or delete. Hope this helps.

Ronda

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2009 8:39 AM   in reply to duhvid

You are welcome. Glad I could help.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2009 9:37 AM   in reply to duhvid

But this is not helping you learn how to use the Pen tool (probably the most important tool) in AI.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2009 2:17 PM   in reply to duhvid

Just in case you get tempted, your instructor will know. ;-)  The trace tool has a very distinct and identifiable style.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points