Skip navigation
hayhay626
Currently Being Moderated

Flash Player Will NOT WORK!!

Sep 17, 2009 5:09 PM

hi

ive tried all the troubleshoot solutions, ive been reading on here the solutions some very kind people have suggested and they do not work either!

getting annoyed with it now cos i can no longer use youtube! i really do not understand why my computer will not download it

i get that error message other people have mentioned, it gets to a certain point of the installing and then the message pops up

anyone who works for adobe please can you fix this? its gotta be some kind of glitch cos ive noticed theres many people who are having the same problem!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 18, 2009 5:18 PM   in reply to hayhay626

Hello, I understand exactly how you feel. I had a problem too with F.P.10 update. I don't know if you have been to my post "Is it this simple?" or not. But I explained in great detail my experience and my solution. Ever since then I have been trying to help different posters on this forum. Some have had great success and some have not even responded. I just figured they found a solution somewhere, so that's the objective.

Please read my post I mentioned above and maybe that will help. If you still have questions, post back and I'll try to take a look at what you have done, what error messages, OS/IEvs etc.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2009 6:57 AM   in reply to hayhay626

Hello, After reading what you tried to do and the result, 2 things..... Before you do anything else, go to www.adobe.com/software/flash/about.  This is the Adobe site that will tell you if you have F.P. installed and what version. Sometimes when an install is done, an uninstall, who knows, maybe you do have F.P. installed. I would check to be sure.

The other thing, I would have to check on the Adobe install for windows site, but I recall reading that you need Administrative permission.

I think that makes sense. Are you the Administrator? Maybe your sister is and that is the difference.

You have XP, do you have the SP2 or SP3? Check out that site, & while you are doing that I'll check on that User info.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2009 7:45 AM   in reply to hayhay626

At the top of your IE browser, click on Help, About Internet Explorer, that should show you the vs of IE and XP.

The link: Is that the message you received? Or was that a table info on the site itself? 10.0.32.18 is the latest version of F.P.10 and the Shockwave Flash add on. Can you go to manage add ons thru Tools and see if you have this add on? Under file it should state the vs.

In XP F.P. 10 is listed in Add/Remove Programs on mine.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2009 8:34 AM   in reply to hayhay626

Yes SP is service pack so you are running XPSP3 and IE8. From all I have read, IE 8 had/has a lot of problems but that alone should not

keep F.P. from installing. You found Shockwave Flash, did it say vs. 10.0.32.18? Is it enabled?

I just went to www.adobe.com/software/flash/about and Adobe told me I have F.P. 10.0.32.18 installed. As soon as that page opened, there is a small block insert and that is where it was listed.  Did you go there? Don't you think you have some version of F.P., since you have the Shockwave Flash? Please just go there, you don't have to do anything. I'm trying to determine if you have Any version of F.P.

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2009 9:21 AM   in reply to hayhay626

Well that is good to know. If you had any version at all, that site would have told you. You must have at one time had F.P. since the mange add ons show it & 10 is the latest Shockwave Flash Active X (10.0.32.18)

I would go to the Download Flash Player site(from www.adobe.com)  and follow the instructions, for downloading and installing.

Try that, and it should work. If not, take note of the why nots.

I'll be off line until Sunday afternoon.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2009 11:54 AM   in reply to hayhay626

Ok, I had read that BWolfe suggested to download the Uninstaller to your Desktop.

Download the INstaller  to your Desktop. Then uninstall and install that way.

UNinstaller: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

INstaller: USE the EXE version at http://www.adobe.com/go/tn_19166

I know you have used these from the site, try it this way.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2009 12:46 PM   in reply to eidnolb

Here is some more info. On that system 32 macromedia? fiel you mentioned? Go there and open it up, see if you have 2 folders, one that says Flash 10b.ocx and another one Flash10c.ocx.  If you do, delete the one that says b. This may be blocking. When you at one time uninstalled, it could be the uninstaller did not remove that. The 10b is from an older version of F.P. Worth a try.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2009 12:39 AM   in reply to hayhay626

Thanks for your patience and trying the various steps.  I have read some additional material on that Windows\system32 message.

That message comes up when you are attempting a download and it stops at C:\windows\system32\macromed\flash\flash10c.ocx

Please go to the Post Is it this simple? Look for a reponse to me (eidnolb) on 9/18/09 at 6:12 PM from BlairMac. Read what he did and see if you can follow what he did.  Read his other posts for info. As I recall I think he also uses IE8.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2009 9:28 AM   in reply to hayhay626

I had a somewhat similar issue with trying to download Adobe FP that I've been trying for several months to resolve.  I had an earlier version of FP that either disappeared or quit working and as a result was unable to view videos.  My operating system is Windows XP and I used Internet Explorer as my browser.  When I would try to download the latest version of FP, I would get failure to download messages similar to those included in a couple of posts in this forum.  After trying all of the solutions I could find in the online help, I finally contacted the Adobe help desk (very long wait!).  The tech stepped me through the same processes that I had already tried and we got the same unsuccessful results.  He finally had me install Firefox as my default internet browser.  When I tried the FP download with Firefox, it installed automatically and very quickly - my videos now run fine.  I don't know if that will solve the problems being experienced by others, but it may be worth trying (Firefox is a free install off the Internet).

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2009 2:50 PM   in reply to hayhay626

Hi hayhay626  Did you follow BlairMac's procedures from start to finish? He had about 5 steps to resolve his problem. He has IE 8 also.

At which point were you not able able to duplicate his steps?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2009 4:27 PM   in reply to hayhay626

Hello again, It really is frustrating to have to go to California to get to New York from PA, right? LOL I did a Bing search for C:\windows\system32\macromed\flash\flash10.c.ocx and read a lot of the posts and offers of solutions. Some ran HJT logs, ran anti-virus and anti-spyware scanners, changed out hard drives! LOL and even did cart wheels, but in the end, it was the same"I still can't install F.P.10"

At this point, I really don't know what else there is to try. There is something blocking the install and it is related to the C:\windows..macromed system entry, but what exactly, I do not know. I would not advise you to delete that because I do not understand what it is related to and doing so may damage your PC.  I did a search on my PC, but no such file was found, thankfully.

When I cancelled AOL about 3 years ago and went to hi speed service, I was unaware that when I used Add/Remove to remove AOL that there were remaining files on my PC. So eventually, I deleted every mention of AOL from program files, common files and opened up every folder that had the AOL name on it and deleted ALL!

The only thing that you could do would be to uninstall F.P. and follow the instructions to install Version 9. Did you have that version before trying to update to 10?

I am reading a forum about F.P. and if I come across a solution I'll let you know.  The only other option would be to open up an Ask Adobe Support ticket. Someone should know how to resolve this.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2009 4:40 PM   in reply to eidnolb

hayhay626, well here is something you might want to read, it is from 2008 which still may be applicable. Read it over and note especially the Solution #4 "Register the flash.ocx file manually"

The link to the page is http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/400/kb400366.html

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2009 12:11 AM   in reply to hayhay626

Hello hayhay626, I think our posts crossed. Glad I saw that you edited your last post, I thought something was wrong with my email. LOL

It's been a long busy weekend, hour is late here, but when I saw your edited post I thought I would say a word or two(hard for me to do)

Thanks for the screenshots. I saved both to my new folder in favorites entitled "Adobe", what else. LOL Also I have a folder by the same name on my desktop!  Hate to tell you but both folders keep growing. Well, I will take a better look at them tomorrow. At first glance yours

appeared that they just put things back as they had been. If there was a change, I didn't see it.  Your sisters' they removed the "install log"

and when they installed, they put in the "uninstaller".  You did a good job on the screenshots.

Did both you and your sister, uninstall and install from the same site and in the same manner; i.e. directly from the Adobe site, or download to the desktop and proceed from there?

Ok, that's all from the EDT zone, talk to you tomorrow, late afternoon.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2009 7:49 AM   in reply to hayhay626

Hi hayhay626, I'm not clear on which "this computer" the users are all Administrators. Yours? Actually, on anyone's computer, I think this would be a problem. On my PC, I am the Admin. and there are no user accounts set up. I don't think you could have more than one Admin. and am surprised. Maybe you are saying there are no user accounts set up and so therefore, whoever uses the computer, acts as an Admin.?

Your sister having to install each time, good grief.  Well, I have not had the time yet to go over the screenshots, but spent about 2 hours last night snooping around on almost everything on my computer from My Computer>program files>common files, etc. Do a little searching and see if you can open up anything with an Adobe folder etc.  I was trying to see what programs, files, etc are on mine that may be different than yours. The "failed to register" error and that it stops at the C:\Windows thing, especially look for that. As soon as I get back I'll review the screenshots.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2009 4:48 PM   in reply to hayhay626

hayhay626 Well, here I thought all of those good vibes I was sending your way fixed all of your issues and you were living happily ever after. LOL I guess Adobe had their shields up. Ha-Ha.

Ok, well, last things first. Ability to view the youtube from the forum, don't know for sure, but probably the poster had the Shockwave Active X and you didn't need it. Just a guess.

I noticed that on the screen shot of Win 32, Flash10c.0cx, it shows 3,877 or 3,867 KB? Did you open that up to see what all is there that would be that big of a file? Just curious.

Before you do anything else, please do this.

Go into Add/Remove and list everything that says Adobe.

Go to IE>manage add ons and do the same.

Then get back to me, I want to see what is listed and maybe we can figure out if there is something that needs deleted, or disabled.

In the meantime I am doing some checking on Win 32 on mine, to see what I have in there.

Thanks, going to eat supper(late) also.:-)

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2009 1:27 AM   in reply to hayhay626

Windows XP SP2

IE8

1. Close all IE windows
    2. Download and execute http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/current/uninstall_flash _player.exe
    3. Download http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/installers/archive/fp 8_archive.zip
    4. Open fp8_archive.zip and goto r42 folder
    5. Install flashplayer8r42_win.exe and flashplayer8r42_winax.exe
    6. Open C:\windows\system32\Macromed\Flash
    7. Execute GetFlash.exe

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2009 9:46 AM   in reply to PepeMacanas

Hello PepeMacanas, Since I haven't seen you on the F.P. forum before and this is your first post, I have a couple of questions about what you posted. Have you used these procedures yourself or did someone else relay these to you? Are these Adobe instructions?

Regarding your 7 points..............

#2. What is being Uninstalled?

#3. What is being Installed? Flash Player 8?

Also an observation.  You don't give any detailed information on these procedures and speaking for myself, I wouldn't be able to follow your limited points. If you have read these Adobe Flash Player forums, you should have known, that for the

most part these would be "above most users pay grade"

You might want to post some more information on why you posted this and why you think this is the solution for installing Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX update.

Regards,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2009 6:56 PM   in reply to PepeMacanas

PepeMacanas wrote:

Windows XP SP2

IE8

1. Close all IE windows
    2. Download and execute http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/current/uninstall_flash _player.ex e
    3. Download http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/installers/archive/fp 8_archive. zip
    4. Open fp8_archive.zip and goto r42 folder
    5. Install flashplayer8r42_win.exe and flashplayer8r42_winax.exe
    6. Open C:\windows\system32\Macromed\Flash
    7. Execute GetFlash.exe

I don't think it is a good suggestion to install such an old version of Flash Player. Most sites will urge you to upgrade to the newest version, rather than letting you view contents.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2009 7:07 PM   in reply to hayhay626

hayhay626 wrote:

right in add/remove programmes i have

Adobe AIR

Adobe Reader 9

Adobe Download Manager

Looks like you still have not gotted Flash Player installed.  Let's try that again from the beginning.

Now close all browser windows, then run the downloaded uninstaller (just to make sure that any earlier FP components, or remains from previous install attempts are removed).

In order to make sure that the installation is performed by an Administrator user, right-click on the downloaded installer, then select Run As...  On the Run As pop-up panel, select the local Administrator user, then click OK.

Does the installation succeed now?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2009 8:09 PM   in reply to hayhay626

Hi hayhay626 Thanks for providing that info. I see that you received a reply from (square square b) I cannot copy and paste when I am posting here, seems like you can only insert a link, image, etc.  My apologies to Bob?

Anyway, I will wait to respond until after you try his instructions. He has been on the forum much longer than I. I am just a newbie here. Although from this experience I know more about my computer than I did before. Good place to learn.

It will be interesting to see if his instructions get the job done!!

I was reviewing your post on 9/20/09 and you said you had shockwave flash vs 10.0.32.18 in your manage add ons.

Today, you did not list it? Just wondering.

Message was edited by: eidnolb     To add an additional comment

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2009 5:55 AM   in reply to hayhay626

I have had the same problem, but thanks to you, i fixed it!

Helpful forum!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2009 9:14 AM   in reply to hayhay626

The news today that Flash will soon be showing up on mobile devices is an utter and complete joke. The screwballs at Adobe can't even get their bloatware to work properly on computers.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2009 10:59 AM   in reply to hayhay626

After 2 weeks of torture this finally worked for me type in BLOGBERRY in search bar find and click on windows vista service pack 2 released\blogberry,this will take you to the changel site type in search bar ADOBE FLASH PLAYER 10 FIX FOR VISTA & XP.click on the permanant link 2nd one down.follow those directions exactly.I also had to turn off my UAC which is explained  in the 31.10.2008 UPDATE right below.good luck

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2009 2:50 PM   in reply to hayhay626

Hi hayhay626, you listed that you have the Adobe Download Manager in add/remove. I would remove that, and reboot.

I have read on this forum that there may be a problem with that and to my knowledge no one has suggested having that.

In my opinion it is causing interference. Reboot after removing that. (You will notice that the instructions given to you lastly did not advise you to install the Adobe Download Manager) It is not needed and can be safely removed.

Then go to My Computer>windows>system32>Macromed>Flash. Open the Flash folder and write down everything that is listed there. Don't try to install anything. We need to know what is there, vs.# and date.

Also go back into Manage Add ons and write down everything that is listed there.

We need to do this (again) since some time has went by and you have tried various things. We always have to start from square one, so as not to duplicate procedures.

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 8, 2009 10:51 PM   in reply to hayhay626

Have u checked my solution

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/485281?tstart=0

Read it from top to bottom because there is some more info added

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...