Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Getting footage off of a commercial DVD

Sep 17, 2009 9:06 PM

I had wanted to get some footage off of a commercial DVD, specifically it was that count down stuff that is at the beginning of a reel and some real dust and scratches that I could use to composit an old film look.  When I tried to get the DVD footage into Premiere it wasn't reading it.  The DVD files are in .VOB ------I was thinking that changing the extension may do the trick, or am I out of luck.  I use CS4 on a Mac  OX 10.5.7

Thank you

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 4, 2012 3:56 AM   in reply to Cris is Bliss

I agree with the purchase of stock footage, of course.  But keep in that commercial DVD's are encrypted with various standards and this is probably what's causing this not to work for you.  Premiere would probably be able to read unencrypted VOB's. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2012 4:06 AM   in reply to Cris is Bliss

I use Cinematize to get footage from a DVD into the AVID. I think it will work with PPro, too.

Cinematize 3 is about $ 60.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2012 3:54 PM   in reply to Cris is Bliss

>I use CS4

Which means you are in the wrong forum

http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/premierepro_previous

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2012 9:43 AM   in reply to Cris is Bliss

If there is no DRM on that DVD, then PrPro CS4, as of about CS4.3 (cannot remember when full VOB support was added, but it was about the third update for CS4), the program should be able to Import the VOB.

I do like the idea of using stock footage, as you will have paid for the rights of usage, and then there will be no worries about DRM. That will be easier and legal (important to me).

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points