Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Color Laser Printer

Sep 19, 2009 12:39 PM

Wife and I share a Brother B&W laser printer, and she has a color inkjet connected to her computer... but she grumbles every time she tries to print in color, and forgets to turn on the inkjet AND select it in the print dialog

So, I'm thinking about surprising her with a shared color laser... we have a home network via DSL modem with 4 connections, of which we use 2 for our computers, so I should be able to connect a network ready printer... or use our current printer sharing "box" if the printer has a parallel connection (sort of unlikely, these days)

I want one with 4 separate toner cartridges... Black and the 3 colors... so I don't have to replace an expensive "master" cartridge just 'cause one color got used up

I also want one, if possible, that has a 2nd tray where I may mount 4x6 or full size 8.5 x 11 photo paper (training her to select the correct output tray is a whole different issue)

Name brand and low cost (of printer and toner) are also important... doesn't have to be the fastest printer in the world, but it DOES have to last a long time

Inkjet is NOT to be considered... we've had too many problems with ink cartridges and/or spray heads if a printer is not used every day

Any suggestions on Brand & Model?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 20, 2009 9:28 AM   in reply to John T Smith

I'd be interested in this answer as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2009 10:12 PM   in reply to John T Smith

I have a Richo I got from Printer Showcase.

They have a nice service where you send them an image and a few bucks, along with the printers you are interested in; They print your image on up to 5 printrs and fedx you the printouts.   So you can see the print quality yourself.

I use mine for general office work and to print DVD jackets for short runs < 100.   Works great.

Color lasers are not as photo realistic as high res inkjet.  But they are a heck of a lot faster and the better ones are close enough for what I do.   But you wont be printing big photo portraits on them.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2009 12:53 AM   in reply to John T Smith

You need to have some volume to justify a laser; I think.

This is the one I have:

http://www.printershowcase.com/spc420dn.aspx

Yea; the toner is almost $200 each, but it lasts for 15,000 pages!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2009 10:15 PM   in reply to John T Smith

The price of toner would just about pay for a new printer. I purchased Lexmark and so far I love it. But then again I haven't had to replenish the toner yet either. The one thing I noticed was even though the printer was postscript it came with just a HP printer driver. I had to get the postscript driver from their web site.

It was a C544dn Color Laser Printer @ $374 but was on sale at the time. Mine was purchased from pcconnection.

The duplex is nice, but you can see a faint copy of the previous page. This may be due to running multiple copies, I haven't tried it on a sequence of pages yet. It is extremely fast for my needs. It takes longer tranfering data to the printer then it does printing it.

Printing photos is nice, they seam darker than on screen but I think thats to be expected as my system is not color corrected.

I have the printer connected to a network router with wireless connection, which is cool for printing from the laptop.

Anyway good luck with whatever you decide.

Edit: One thing I have noticed about laser printers is the lack of photo paper. So printing on plain paper could be effecting my prints.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2012 2:39 PM   in reply to Silkrooster

Well, it appears that a spammer must have posted to this old thread, as it keeps showing as"[Updated]," when Silkrooster's 2009 post is the last - guess that the MOD's cleaned out the spam - way to go!

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points