Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Difficulty making a accurate teardrop shape

Sep 21, 2009 9:43 AM

Hi,

My difficulty is based around making a tear drop shape on illustrator. I am using two shapes to make this, a square and circle (shown in attachment) however the accuracy is poor because the circle and square don’t line up.

I used a grid but still accuracy is difficult because its based on trial and error. Is there an accurate way to achieve this shape with success? Shown in example there are corners sticking out!

I have Illustrator CS3,

Helen

Attachments:

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 21, 2009 10:03 AM   in reply to capstick13

For aligning, select both square and circle and use the Align palette (align left and then top). Select both and combine with the Pathfinder> Add to shape area. Alternatively, draw the circle, select the upper left quarter arc and delete. Turn on Smart Guides and, with the Pen, connect the two end anchor points of the broken circle with a right angled path.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2009 10:35 AM   in reply to Joe Paris

Draw a circle holding shift. hit Control or command C then click the top point.

Hit the A key and drag the top point out as far as needed while holding shift again.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2009 11:25 AM   in reply to capstick13

For an accurate alignment the square has to have sides the same size as the radius of the circle. I don't think that is what I see in your example. Are

they?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2009 10:30 PM   in reply to Joe Paris

A little video some users simply have a newer type of work method though the older way of thinking coud come in handy for them.

http://mysite.verizon.net/wzphoto/Teardrops_are_falling.mov

The computer age tends to make us a little lazy about the way we think things out, if e can't hit the return key and have the solution we are becoming totally lost.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2009 7:54 AM   in reply to capstick13

Draw a circle, use the pen tool and add a point between two of the circle points.

Drag this new point out and align it first with the point on the left, and then the one on the top.

Finally use the Direct Selection arrow and pull the curve lines into the new point, making it square.

I hope this is clear, it worked when I just tried it anyway.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2009 8:16 AM   in reply to capstick13

Direct Selection Tool will let you move the new point if you click on it once, then click and drag it.

Also use this tool to highlight both the points you need to align.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2009 8:24 AM   in reply to capstick13

Helen,

If you think about it, in order for the square to line up smoothly with the top left quadrant of the circle, the dimensions of the square have to be exactly the same as the radius of the circle. The square in your example is a little bit too big.

Select the Elipse tool and click on the artboard. Enter the dimensions of the circle required; for example, width 100mm (you only have to click the word "height" to enter the same amount). The circle now has a radius of 50mm. Now select the Rectangle, click the artboard and enter a square with sides of 50mm. Select both and align as described above.

square.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2009 8:24 AM   in reply to capstick13

Tears are not looking like freely falling water drops.

A water drop silhouette isn't looking like a circle with tangents.

http://tinyurl.com/yda8pdq

The shape of a water drop is easily created by the pen tool,

maybe based on a scanned handdrawing, or a shape as found

in the link above.

If this should fail, then please listen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhPPJ5dolxU&feature=related

Best regards --Gernot Hoffmann

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2009 8:29 AM   in reply to Gernot Hoffmann

I'm working on the assumption that it's not really an accurate teardrop shape Helen is after, rather the shape indicated in the logo in the OP.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2009 8:43 AM   in reply to capstick13

That is what I ended up with - was that what you were hoping for?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2009 9:56 AM   in reply to Gernot Hoffmann

If this should fail, then please listen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhPPJ5dolxU&feature=related

Gernot... I just knew you were out there, man. I mean, like, way out, daddio.

(Great link!)

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2009 8:55 AM   in reply to capstick13

It should be in your "stroke" box. Next to the "miter limit" drop down can you see three options for joins? Use the first one "miter join". I think yours is currently on "round join".

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2009 9:56 AM   in reply to capstick13

Helen,

You should be able to change from Round Join to Miter Join with the object normally selected, unless you preferences have been corrupted (if they are, you may Ctrl/Cmd+Alt/Option+Shift while waking Illy or Move the folder while Illy is asleep).

Which Join button is pressed in the Stroke when the teardrop is selected? And does the Info platte say 1 path with 5 points when Objects is ticked in the flyout?

Apart from that, I would do as Joe did, only pressing Alt/Option while Pathfinder>Add to Shape Area (this may be outdated in newer versions) to get one simple path.

And I prefer Crying in the rain sung by Gina Ward.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2009 9:05 AM   in reply to capstick13

I'm sorry Helen I don't. I'm not really "up" on Illustrator. I've only started using it recently because Freehand died

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2009 9:41 AM   in reply to capstick13

Well you waited a long time before you looked at the video so I had removed it.

It is very simple but if yiou are serious about this I will do it over. But I definitely not keeping the video up for a long time.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 30, 2009 2:36 AM   in reply to capstick13

Nah, it's a few steps that only look confusing when written down.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points