Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

FMLE 3.0.1 crashing when starting encoding from Osprey 240e

Sep 22, 2009 9:12 AM

I'm setting up a pair of live video encoders using Flash Live Media Encoder on Dell servers with Osprey 240e capture cards, running Windows Server 2003. FMLE crashes immediately upon starting encoding. The audio and video preview work correctly, but as soon as encoding starts, FMLE quits spontaneously with no error message and no crash log appears in Event Viewer. (I tried to attach the encode log but the forum won't let me.)

Our machines are Dell R710 servers running Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 with Osprey 240e capture cards (one card per machine), driver version 4.4.1. I've also tried Osprey's 4.5.1 beta driver and the result was the same. I have tried changing various options in the capture driver and in FMLE but the result stays the same. We have two of these machines and the results are the same on both.

FMLE does encode without crashing if I disable video entirely and just encode audio. Video capture works fine with other programs e.g. Windows Media 9 Capture.

Any suggestions?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 23, 2009 9:52 PM   in reply to chrisb85

I am having a very similar experience.  If I try to encode from either the GUI or the command line FMLE just dies.  Same basic configuration except that instead of a Dell R710 I have a Dell R900 with 24GB RAM and four quad-core Intels and am using an Osprey 700HD card.  The server is 2003 R2 Enterprise in an Active Directory environment.

I have two other live streams running at a different location with no issues - one also on an R900 with slightly different specs.  The drivers for the Osprey are the latest as I just downloaded them today.  I also redownloaded FMLE and reinstalled.  I have also verified the video drivers are the latest and have adjusted the video settings to no avail.

I also can encode successfully if I turn off the video and only stream audio.  If I turn the audio back on it dies.

I have attached three log files from my most recent attempts, but the almost always end with nothing or in garbage.

As I have to leave the west coast tomorrow I will most likely move the card and software to a different server in hopes that will work, but any help is greatly appreciated.

James

Attachments:

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2009 11:02 PM   in reply to Rascal151

Hi James,

Can you please change some of the settings so as to isolate the issue:

1. Change output size to 480x360 from 400x298 and start Video encoding

2. If it does not work then turn off Auto Adjust also and try starting encoding

3, Also please try VP6 encoding also.

4. If no success then please close FMLE and goto installation folder of FMLE. Goto Conf folder and open Config.xml from there

5. Enbale debug logs

6. Launch FMLE and then start audio and video encoding

7. If FMLE crashes then goto My Videos folder and send us stats folder that is created by FMLE

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2009 5:21 AM   in reply to chrisb85

Try using H.264 codec without resize option (same input and output sizes) with 3.0.1 FMLE.

Also try using the 2.5 version of FMLE and try with and without resize for both vp6 and h264.

Please get back with the results.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2009 8:29 AM   in reply to nmalhotra

Hello nmalhotra, et al.

Here are my results to your suggestions:

1: Changing the output size to 480X360 does indeed work.  The encoder starts properly and does not crash.  What's interesting about that is the profile used on this machine is the exact same profile used on the other two machines and they work with the 400X298 size.  The problem is that, because of the site design, I need the video to be 400X300.  I will do some more checking on this, and I will also do some manual adjusting of the profile.  It appears that the resizing is what's causing the issue.

2: Turning off auto adjust does nothing - still crashes.

3: Switching to VP6 does nothing - still crashes.

4-7: I put everything back to its original settings and followed your instructions.  Attached is a ZIP of the output, to include the log file from that session.

It sounds to me like the issue is the resizing.  What's puzzeling is that it works on two other servers, one a Dell R900 and one a Dell 2950, both with Server 2003 R2.

I'll continue to poke around and report back any results I find.

Much thanks for your help so far.

James

Attachments:

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2009 9:00 PM   in reply to Rascal151

Thanks for your replies. Indeed VP6 encoder and Resize filter(when Input and Output Sizes are different) are causing FMLE to crash at 16 core machines.

If you try using H264 without Resize filter it will not crash.

It works fine on 2, 4 and 8 core machine

Try using that.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2009 11:09 PM   in reply to chrisb85

Sorry but there is no such option for GUI. You can do it for FMLECmd only

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2010 9:34 AM   in reply to nmalhotra

hi,

is Adobe planning to support 16 core CPU architecture in FMLE ?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2010 10:09 AM   in reply to KSlimani

Yes, future versions of FMLE will support 16 core processor.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2010 8:05 AM   in reply to Angad Gupta

Hi,

Do khnow when exactly or approximatively Flash will release the FMLE3 to support the 16core ?. I'm using two Osprey 700HD cards in a dual Quad core server, and when I disable the hyper threading I loss a lot in performance .

Thanks for your help.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2010 11:39 AM   in reply to chakfm

With a high-end 16-core CPU and SDI cards, what do you broadcast? I am just curious to know your workflow and how FMLE fits into it.

And by looking at the history of FMLE releases, it won't be too long for this one also

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2010 10:20 AM   in reply to fmeuser

Hi ,

Sorry for the delay. I'm testing two Osprey 700HD cards with an HD signals using the Dynamic Streaming .

So, the server, an HP Proliant DL380 G6, has two cards.

Mahmoud

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2010 2:46 PM   in reply to nmalhotra

How do I get flash media live encoder in the command line to start automatically when I tell it using the task schedular and also to start encoding when I have it start?  I am trying to save to file when it starts encoding and then to stop automatically after the certain time I tell it to stop. How do I do this?

Thanks, Dan

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2010 3:04 PM   in reply to afacts

You can start or stop an encoding session from the command line. I suggest you to take a look at this page : http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FlashMediaLiveEncoder/3.1/Using/WS5b3ccc51 6d4fbf351e63e3d11c104babd5-7fef.html

By default, the command line is in your c:\Program Files\Adobe\Flash Media Live Encoder 3.1\ directory. just type FMLECmd /?

It will display a quick but usefull help.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2010 3:07 PM   in reply to KSlimani

Hello Kslimani,

Thanks, I have that page memorized. I'm trying to start the cmd line to auto start streaming, and saving to file when I tell it to, using the task schedular in windows.  Then after a certain amount of time, I will need it to stop.

Thanks,

Dan

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2010 3:27 PM   in reply to chrisb85

You can simply start the encoder at a specified scheduled date, and do the same to

stop it.

Note you should also be able to use the at command line for schedule these events.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2010 3:38 PM   in reply to KSlimani

Can you show me an example of what you mean please?

Thanks,

Dan

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2010 6:17 PM   in reply to Angad Gupta

Hello,

I'm experiencing the same issue after migrating to from an 8 core system to a 16 core system. Has support for 16 cores/VP6/H.264 resizing been implemented yet?

- Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2010 6:48 PM   in reply to Murphy\'sLawyer

Quick fix.  Go into your BIOS and turn off Hyper Threading.  Then save/exit and try it again.  Trust me...I had this issue last week and a good person on this forum tagged it dead on.  I know they (Adobe) is working on the issue.

If you still have issues, do not run VP6, but run H264 and ensure your aspect remains the same...ie: 640x480 should output 640x480.....DONT RESIZE.

Good luck

KC

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2010 7:48 AM   in reply to kookycanuck

KC,

Thanks for the advice. I was moreover looking for an update as to whether this issue has been resolved with the 3.1 release; especially because the first post in this thread is from some time ago. Unfortunately, I can't turn off hyper threading in the BIOS, I actually have 16 cores (two 8 core, 2.3 GHz opterons, optimized for video editing and uncompressed HD recording). And as far as the output resizing is concerned, I need to be able to do multibitrate webasting and I'm bringing in letterboxed 16:9 content at 720x480 that necessitates cropping and resizing. I think I'll just end up bringing a dual core bootcamped mac and running it side by side with the webcasting box just for FMLE.....(exhales).....again. This way I can have audio issues related to the audio input from the ADVC700 instead of the inability to webcast in a resized format at all....

-Eh.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2010 7:58 AM   in reply to Murphy\'sLawyer

It seems FMLE 3.1 also does not work on 16 core machine. problem is only with VP6 encoder and with when you use Resize in FMLE.

so in order to make FMLE work on 16 core machine you need to encode in H264 format without Resize ie keep Input and Output size same.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points