Skip navigation
mamacoolj
Currently Being Moderated

Why are my pictures grainy when I post them online?

Sep 24, 2009 6:56 PM

I edited my pictures in Photoshop and then made a jpeg file. The jpeg looks great on my computer but when I post them online they are grainy. Does anyone have any experience with this or suggestions? Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 24, 2009 7:12 PM   in reply to mamacoolj

When you post them how much compression do you use?

For example, if you start with a 2 meg picture and end up with a 40K post there is not much left of the original.  It will look pretty gainy.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2009 7:39 PM   in reply to mamacoolj

If you are going from 15,000,000 pixel to 500 pixel there is virtually nothing left of the image.  For a reasonable screen display, I think you need at least 100k image which is 200 times larger than you are using now.

Save an image at different compressions (size) and see how they look to you.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2009 8:35 PM   in reply to mamacoolj
    What size is a normal  medium size web photo?

This will depend on the Web site, and then the desired download time, based on the average connection of the likely audience.

Save_For_Web will help you with that, but you need to get the other info from the Webmaster, who is hosting these photos. There is no magic file size, or dimensions that will work everywhere.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2009 6:58 AM   in reply to mamacoolj

You may be confusing the pixel dimension with the picture size.  Do not know what your web wants but usually they specify a max horizontal and/or vertical size.  So they may say no larger than 500 x 300 pixels.  But to get the number of pixels in the picture you have to multiply the two dimensions.  In this case the pixel size of the image is 150,000 or 150K.

So if they say the height or width can not exceed 500 pixels, that is different that saying the picture must be less than 500 pixels.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2009 9:18 PM   in reply to mamacoolj

If you are posting to a site like smugmug or flickr, which automatically resizes images and allows access to original size images (optionally), just upload a full-dimensioned jpg.  If you are posting to a blog or web page, follow the site's guidelines for size.  A good rule of thumb is to resize images to be no more than 600px in either direction for web viewing.  If you are designing a website and setting up the HTML code, you will want to have an image that is properly sized to fit in the display space; don't make the browser resize it!  Set the dimensions to make the page work, then make the jpeg or png file fit those dimensions before uploading.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points