Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

4.2 update coming...

Sep 25, 2009 4:57 PM

Hey kids - just read this and thought I'd pass it along...good news indeed.

http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/adobe/story/matrox_and_other_3r d_party_i_o_vendors_with_cs4/

AVC-I native support...it's finally here. And after I just bought an EX3....

Replies 1 2 3 ... 6 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 25, 2009 5:08 PM   in reply to Eric Addison

Eric,

Thanks for reporting. I am surprised that there will be a CS4.2, but in a good way. I would have bet that there would be no releases, until CS5. Glad I am wrong.

It's also nice to hear the news on the Matrox front, as many users will be dancing, if it all works well.

You seem to always break these news items. Do the folk in San Jose put notes to you into a bottle and let it wash up on La Jolla Beach for you to find?

Appreciated,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2009 5:12 PM   in reply to Eric Addison

Shucks, I don't get to break the news on anything anymore...

Premiere Pro 4.2 does in fact add AVC-I and offers some additional fixes too.  Should be out soon.

Regards,

Dennis

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2009 5:22 PM   in reply to dradeke

Dennis,

Hope that you have the time to hang out here a bit. I have a feeling that Eric's thread on the "Breaking News" is going to be a hot one over the next few weeks. It will not be until the install base of CS4.2 exceeds several hundred machines and the reports from the field start coming in, that the questions will likely stop: "hey, did they fix this?" "How about that?" Even with Eric's links, everyone will have several pet features that they will want to know about.

Hunt

BTW - welcome to the forum! We do not get to see enough Adobe presence here. Best we can muster are a few beer-swilling "Community Experts."

Do not tell them, but they are greatly appreciated too.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2009 5:28 PM   in reply to Eric Addison

Dang,

That blows my image of you walking along La Jolla with a straw hat, Jimmy Buffet on the iPod, searching the horizon for them bottles with notes in them.

Oh well, thanks for getting the news out. Now for the questions to start

:

1 week of speculation

1 week of digesting

1 week of whining, when one's sacred cow does not appear on the list

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2009 7:55 AM   in reply to Eric Addison

4.2? That sounds awsome.  I also hope they fix the program monitor freeze when using the firewire for output. Also the 10-12 frame jump on the cti when using firewire connection. I am very excited and can't wait until more information comes about this.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2009 11:32 AM   in reply to Eric Addison

O.K. we will shortly have AVC-Intra support soon but when will we have a medium priced AVC-I camera.  Anyone have a good rumors about anything less expensive than the HPX-300?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2009 11:35 AM   in reply to Eric Addison

My guess is that this be available around the end of October or beginning November to roughly coincide with the release of Win7. The major benefit may be support for Win7 and some bug fixes. Nothing major like 64 bit or similar.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2009 11:38 AM   in reply to Bill Gehrke

I'd love to see a $6,000 HPX-190 with 1/2", full resolution CCDs recording to SDXC cards using AVC-I 100.

Now that would be a proper prosumer HD camera.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2009 12:37 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Sorry to inject this here, but since we have the attention of someone on the inside, I  hope  that an upcoming Pr Pro update (or CS5) is going to offer native support for whatever weirdo flavor of H.264 that Canon is using in the 5D Mark II. I know, I know, it's not a real video camera (well, as a still photographer it is to me anyway), but the use of it has exploded... commercials and music videos and all kinds of other applications are surfacing everywhere. There are companies building rigs with HDMI mini monitors and rails and everything else for the 5D2 to be used for video. SO, the reason why I'm whining for native support is because Adobe could have a goldmine on their hands if there were to add that native support then advertise the snockers out of it. We all know that Premiere with the Production Premium suite is way better than Final Cut Studio, but us 5D2 users have to constantly stick our tail between our legs when we try to boast about Premiere to a 5D2 user and they come back with "sorry, with FCS I can edit smoothly right out of the box". There's even a workflow with Apple's Compressor to convert to 24p, so that puffs their feathers too. Now, I do use Cineform's NeoScene and I do get smooth editing with it (on an i7 rig that I built for HALF of the cost of a MacPro), but it was still a puzzle at first to know what presets in Pr to use, yadda yadda yadda. I'm tellin' ya Adobe, if you start popping that "Canon 5D Mark II" title in the lists and presets insode of Premiere and then advertise that thing as the 5D2's best friend, you WILL overtake FCS because all of us goofball photographers are in love with Photoshop and Lightroom, therefore we want to stay in the family. You'll be getting a whole new customer base getting into Premiere that you didn't have before (me for instance. OK, y'all can stop rolling your eyes). To be honest, up until now the struggling to know how to make our 5D2's work with Premiere has been a bit of a lonely fight, as if Adobe is clueless of the thing's existence, and if it weren't for NeoScene we'd be hairless.

ANYWAY Adobe, listen up! NOW is the time to strike! Canon just released it's second HD DSLRV, the 7D, albeit a crop-sensor camera, but capable of 24p and 30p and I think 60i. DSLRVs are here, at least for a while. Seize the opportunity (and make us wannabe video newcomers RUN to buy Production Premium!).

Oh, and if you're in the mood, you can make Lightroom a $99 upgrade if you own Production Premium, just like you offer with Audition.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2009 12:55 PM   in reply to PaulieDC

Be sure to put this in the form of afeature request.  If nobody takes to effort to officially request these things, adobe will prioritize accordingly.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2009 1:02 PM   in reply to Curt Wrigley

Curt, I'm such a noob... what exactly is a Feature Request, and where do I do that?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2009 4:04 PM   in reply to Eric Addison

wow, hope they bring HD export to the mac, and equalize the number of transitions with the PC version, and fix capture, yadda yadda.

Premiere might be better than FCP on the PC, but it sure isnt on the mac.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2009 4:15 PM   in reply to PaulieDC

PaulieDC wrote:

Curt, I'm such a noob... what exactly is a Feature Request, and where do I do that?

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Please take advamtage of this.  This gets your voice in front of the product groups and engineers.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2009 4:31 PM   in reply to Curt Wrigley

Please take advantage of this.

Absolutely. Thanks for the link, I'm all over it.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2009 6:43 PM   in reply to Eric Addison

Eric Addison wrote:

I know 3 things I'd like to see fixed (among others) in no particular order:

1) fix the program monitor freeze

2) the cut and paste transition bug - don't know what I'm talking about? Apply a transition, customize it, then copy and paste it...see if it works on the new clip as it should...

3) when I roll of a project to tape, afterwards PPro becomes very sluggish - I have to shut the deck down and re-start it before I can roll of something else.'

I know there are other things that need to be fixed, but those are three I deal with on a regualr basis.

Oh, and I'd like to see Final Cut Pro export...it keeps being talked about, but it'd be nice to see...

I'm allowed to profess my ignorance right?  I didn't know about any of these.  Some, like #3 are easy because I never export to tape, but that's not to make any excuses.

Point being - I've sent these over to Premiere engineering.  If I get a reply, I will definitely let you know.

Cheers,

Dennis

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2009 6:44 PM   in reply to Curt Wrigley

Curt Wrigley wrote:

PaulieDC wrote:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Please take advamtage of this.  This gets your voice in front of the product groups and engineers.

Totally agree.  Adobe Product managers tabulate and keep count of these requests.  You won't always get what you want, but sometimes you do.  If enough people speak loud enough, any company will notice.

Dennis

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2009 6:49 PM   in reply to Antinet

Antinet wrote:

wow, hope they bring HD export to the mac, and equalize the number of transitions with the PC version, and fix capture, yadda yadda.

HD export on the mac certainly exists now as you can export to just about any codec the Mac sees.

As for the # of transitions - well, I tend to think that the few that we didn't move over don't have that much impact.  I tend to think of them as the least used ones, but please tell us if there is a few that are absolutely essential to you.

Premiere might be better than FCP on the PC, but it sure isnt on the mac.

So many things I'd like to say, but shouldn't.  In the end, I think we have a very good NLE and one that opens up a lot of possibilities for the future.  Still, tell us how we should improve it - we'd like to know what makes you think FCP is better...

Dennis

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2009 6:56 PM   in reply to dradeke

I'm on it Dennis, I just want to reword it so it sounds like a legit request, not a rant!

And as far as FCS vs PP CS4, the integration Adobe offers is pretty robust, at least in Windows. C'mon, real-time viewing between apps without rendering? That's hard to beat. Thumbs up for Adobe on that one!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2009 6:59 PM   in reply to dradeke

Dennis,

Thank you for weighing-in on the Functional Content issues, between the two platforms.

Going back a bit, a Mac-user compiled a list of the differences between the platforms. I've not been able to find it, to bump it up, but it does exist.

Appreciated,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2009 7:06 PM   in reply to PaulieDC

Yo Paulie,

i'm with you.  I'm eyeing (read envying) the Canon 5Dmk2 for myself and while at the WEVA show (wedding show), a lot of people came up to me and asked about compatibility with this camera and it's younger sibling the 7d.

We hear you...

Dennis

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2009 7:07 PM   in reply to PaulieDC
    I just want to reword it so it sounds like a legit request, not a rant!

Pauline,

That is the spirit. I fill in Feature Requests quite often for various versions of Adobe programs. I try to keep it simple, point out the need, and then my hope for implementation. Some have born fruit (probably not because of anything that I have written, but just due to volume of such requests), and some are still not yet included. These could be due to other issues, or just a difficult coding problem. I'll likely never know. Still, Adobe does read these, and they go into the database for prioritization. When the developers sit down, they look over these, plus many other reports. I keep the Feature Request/Bug Report link bookmarked, and also share it, as did Curt.

Keep the faith, and keep the communications open to Adobe. I feel that they do listen, and that they do care. Still, there are tons of Feature Requests, so just be patient. Heck, one day there might be a real "pre-flight" in Encore...

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2009 7:30 PM   in reply to dradeke

Yo Dennis (how'd you know I have a Brooklyn accent?? Even worse, born in Jersey. lol!), I'll make this request a good one, because I think there's something big happening here. I've now had Production Premium since it shipped last year and the 5D2 since January, and most of 2009 has been welding all this together. We'll get there! And skip all the whiners and gripers, this 5D2 is from another planet (especially for still images, it's nuts). I'm not sold on the 7D yet, cramming 18 million cells on a crop sensor just makes them too small, you lose the great low-light advantage of a full frame sensor's larger cells (over 6 microns...). But, we'll see what Canon did in the firmware, they have some excellent engineering over there.

Hunt, thanks for the advice, I'll keep it as lean as I can... nobody reads 4-page resumes any more either. Oh, you can drop the "n" in my name, I think that's for dames.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2009 7:37 PM   in reply to PaulieDC

PaulieDC wrote:

Yo Dennis (how'd you know I have a Brooklyn accent?? Even worse, born in Jersey. lol!), I'll make this request a good one, because I think there's something big happening here. I've now had Production Premium since it shipped last year and the 5D2 since January, and most of 2009 has been welding all this together. We'll get there! And skip all the whiners and gripers, this 5D2 is from another planet (especially for still images, it's nuts). I'm not sold on the 7D yet, cramming 18 million cells on a crop sensor just makes them too small, you lose the great low-light advantage of a full frame sensor's larger cells (over 6 microns...). But, we'll see what Canon did in the firmware, they have some excellent engineering over there.

Hunt, thanks for the advice, I'll keep it as lean as I can... nobody reads 4-page resumes any more either. Oh, you can drop the "n" in my name, I think that's for dames.

Okay, last post of the night.

Fuggedaboutit!  Jersey?  What exit?  Mine's 7a.  Really...  I've lived in NJ for nearly my whole life and in a humorous turn of events defend it on the airplane when people give me that look when I tell them I'm from Jersey.  It's called the Garden state for a reason you know!

Yup, know all about the 5D vs. the 7D and am inclined to go with the 5D.  Saw a rumor site that said 5D can do 24FPS with firmware update but the rolling shutter artifacts are too extreme right now.

Anyway, right now, the simple way to use 5Dmk2 footage is to convert it.  I know, bummer, but it works and it works well and it works in the background.  Create a watch folder with AME convert it to a file of your choosing (I use P2) and cut hard...

Cheers,

Dennis

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2009 7:39 PM   in reply to PaulieDC

I know that we're getting OT here, but this comment deserves a response:

I'm not sold on the 7D yet, cramming 18 million cells on a crop

Good friend, who shoots Canon and has a couple 5D's, got the 7D and loved it. However, while he was packing up and testing for a trip to the San Juan Islands, his new 7D died. He was heartbroken, though it was under warranty. He really enjoyed it, for the short time that he used it.

Now, I'm on Nikon, he's on Canon. I'm on PC, and he's a Mac-ophile to the core. Still, we are great friends and share fine wines.

Wish I had some great things to say about the 7D, but those will have to wait, until his replacement comes in.

Enjoy,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2009 7:42 PM   in reply to dradeke

Just added my feature request to the pile for the 5D2. And I hope Adobe will jump on this request with both feet! There is such a demand for this camera that even B&H can only get 300 pieces at a time and those sell out as soon as they arrive.

The 7D adds 24fps and 720p, but is not a full-frame sensor, so you'r right back to limitless DoF and limited wide angle lenses. The real draw of the 5D2 is the ability to shoot with an 85mm f/1.2 or a 17mm f/4. I agree that, if Adobe can get this right, there is a whole new market waiting for them.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2009 8:18 PM   in reply to fuaho

Just to jump into this 5D2 and 7D talk (I use a 5D2, CS4 and Cineform) I think the 7D is going to be an absolute winner in the video world.  It's going to leverage off the success and hype of the 5D2, cost $1000 less, plus have more advanced video capability (25p, 24p).  It has a little less low light capability, a little more DOF, but is still head and sholders ahead of any other video camera close to its price range and it takes spectacular video.  Unlike with the 5D2, Canon should be able to really crank up production to meet the high demand.  The video forums are going nuts over this camera.  In my case I always keep a full frame Canon with an APS Canon as a backup - I'll be trading up my current APS for a 7D - this will give me a video backup as well.

Yes, learning to edit with the very high bit rate 1024p from the 5D2 has been tough - but Cineform now has good CS4 add-ons that work well.  Native editing in CS4 would be great, but Adobe support to 3rd party providers like Cineform and Matrox is equally important.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2009 8:53 PM   in reply to charleshull

All good feedback here! Honestly, after much sweat and forum-squinting over the last 10 months, I think we have a good workflow with NeoScene and an i7 920 to the rescue. BUT, I still think Adobe can seize the moment by shining the spotlight on this newcomer (the DSLRV that is) and not just expect the still photogs to know what to do and where to turn now that big video is in their life. I'm on the photographer boards and believe me, they don't have a CLUE, they need guidance. they think Roxio 8 will probably work for them. On my own I inhaled Lynda.com videos and Adobe CIB for Premiere and went everywhere I could to understand video over the last several months. THIS forum is advanced, you guys probably don't think so, but your normal speak would make a new guy shaky. I eat it up when you talk video. That's why I say Adobe could become that big brother to all of its Photoshop devotees that are totally clueless about what NLE even stands for or what timebase means (I was there). I mean, for pete's sake, Adobe has all of the TOOLS to offer, but because Vincent Laforet used FCP on Reverie, they figure they're supposed to (seriously). I want to break that assumption and start waving the Adobe flag. Imagine an ad with the purple/black Production Premium box next to a 5D2 or 7D with the caption "The Perfect Match", with smaller text talking about how much the new DSLRV shooter can do with PP CS4. Us still guys would leap all over that. It's not too late with the release of the 7D.

Yes, I'll copy and paste some of this in my plea to Adobe. Where's that Marketing Director, we need to talk!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2009 9:04 PM   in reply to dradeke

Create a watch folder with AME convert it to a file of your choosing (I use P2) and cut hard...

OK Dennis, you have GOT to expound on that a little, I'm so new to AME I'm still wearing the shrink wrap. I encode to the preset that I know will work, but what does "cut hard" mean? (Told you I was a noob).

BTW, I used a preset recently that said 23.97 so I gave it a whirl, and the final video looked more like film to me, thought it looked pretty neat. But I figured, nahhhh, that was too easy. The entire planet earth is whining and complaining about no 24p on the 5D2, so this couldn't be the answer.

Oh, to answer your question, Exit 100, GSP. Grew up near the shore. I'm very familiar with 7a, Great Adventure of course! Then spent my final years up near Hoboken before moving out in the 90's. Can't shake the accent though, lol!

Ba da bing...

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2009 10:07 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt, what a shame that happened to your buddy with the 7D. See, that's a concern: Canon can barely kep up with the 5D2 demand, and many lenses are still out of stock... I hope they're not just throwing these 7Ds together to get them out the door.  What a shame that happened right before a trip. 
    btw, I'm halfway on your side, I'm Canon and PC.  ;-)

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2009 3:26 AM   in reply to PaulieDC

PaulieDC wrote:

Create a watch folder with AME convert it to a file of your choosing (I use P2) and cut hard...

OK Dennis, you have GOT to expound on that a little, I'm so new to AME I'm still wearing the shrink wrap. I encode to the preset that I know will work, but what does "cut hard" mean? (Told you I was a noob).

BTW, I used a preset recently that said 23.97 so I gave it a whirl, and the final video looked more like film to me, thought it looked pretty neat. But I figured, nahhhh, that was too easy. The entire planet earth is whining and complaining about no 24p on the 5D2, so this couldn't be the answer.

Oh, to answer your question, Exit 100, GSP. Grew up near the shore. I'm very familiar with 7a, Great Adventure of course! Then spent my final years up near Hoboken before moving out in the 90's. Can't shake the accent though, lol!

Ba da bing...

AME = Adobe Media Encoder.  Go under File and create a Watch folder which is basically what it says.  When you drop media like the 5dmk2 into this folder, it will have instructions on what to convert it to.  P2 is a format by Panasonic that I think is pretty decent for a digital intermediate workflow (IOW when you have to convert)

Yes, any flavor of 24FPS is going to give you a more 'film' look

Cut Hard - a phrase used by some editors.  You cut your videos - Cut Hard... Play Hard.... etc...

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2009 5:52 AM   in reply to Eric Addison
    Will this update allow to export XDCAM formats from Premiere Pro CS4 as it is possible to do it from most professionals video editing softwares (Edius, Final Cut, Vegas...) ?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2009 10:22 AM   in reply to Turmap

There he goes all over again!

I thought I had told you to let it go in the Repaire but I might as well talk to a brickwall.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2009 10:26 AM   in reply to Turmap

As I told you before:

Those who tell, don't know. Those who know don't tell. Just wait and see.
    Harm Millaard is online now Report Post  Edit/Delete Message

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2009 12:47 PM   in reply to PaulieDC
    I'm on the photographer boards and believe me, they don't have a CLUE, they need guidance.

That's why video professionals exist.  If you want video, call one of us.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2009 1:07 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

If you want video, call one of us.

Exactly why I've been driving you guys nuts for the last 6 months! I admit, I'm bit by the video bug... it's complex compared to output of still photography, but it's exciting!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2009 2:52 PM   in reply to PaulieDC

You guys do realize that nothing ask to be included in the update will happen just because you put a good argument for it on this thread. The fixes are locked and being tested right now.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 ... 6 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points