Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

32bpc glitches disappear in 16bpc

Sep 28, 2009 1:07 PM

Okay guys.  Any ideas on this one?

When the project is in 32bpc, I get weird black blocks on my comp.  I turn to 16bpc, and the problem disappears.  And it happens all throughout my comp. Uuuuh, any ideas? Got me stumped!

Picture 8.JPG

Picture 9.JPG

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 28, 2009 1:18 PM   in reply to Navarro Parker

Hey Navarro.

Where's the source from? Is it 32bpc footage?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2009 1:42 PM   in reply to Navarro Parker

Just a shot in the dark, but are you embedding any additional channel info in your EXR sequences?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2009 2:52 PM   in reply to TimeRemapper

If you disable View > Use Display Color Management (or enable it if it it was off), does it go away?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2009 11:13 PM   in reply to Navarro Parker

Low on memory? OpenGL? Could also be either of those.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2009 10:52 AM   in reply to Navarro Parker

Actually, there's one thing I could thingk of: You have a non-32bpc effect somewhere inbetween. Native 32bpc effects use something called SmartFX, which is a tiled rendering algorithm for better memory efficiency. Effects not optimized to that standard might break rthe rendering order, as they are impossible to render in tiles, which in turn may lead to the odd memory problem where certain tiles of successive effects have no data to operate on.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2012 9:24 AM   in reply to Navarro Parker

i have the exact same issue with my comp now. i tried every trick i know but it just wont go away.

interestingly it is the same area of the image as with your example.

i could however narrow it down to one layer. which when disabled led to a normal render. but without that layer it was impossible for me to use that render. so i tried to "bake" things down.  didnt help either because i coudlnt manage to render that one comp without it glitching away.  i even tried to render that layer out again from max. with a different file format (tif, open exr, tga, png, bmp) nothing resolved the issue.

i also disabled every effect... didnt help.

i have a 8 core i7 with 16 gig ram.  i tried to disable multicore and rendered on one  core it still did happen. and my comp is only 720p. my ram doesnt even fill up completely (12 gig assigned to afx)

the interesting thing is. the error happens always on the same frames for one session/layer mix. if i disable or enable another layer it switches place (hops to another frame).

anyone got an answer to this?

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 8:50 AM   in reply to thisismyspam

I wonder if you could have a NaN pixel in there. If you had a big blur or something, that could create that block, and it would go away in 16-bit mode. Read about NaN's (and a solution) here:

http://fnordware.blogspot.com/2011/04/nanny.html

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points