Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Solution to error could not find macromedia flash

Aug 3, 2006 10:07 AM

I believe I have figured out the solution. Go to this "Uninstaller Link"and click on "download the windows uninstaller."
Follow the prompts and completely uninstall the player and Active X. Once this is done go to download Flash Player 9 and it will install the complete version instead of the updates which have been problematic.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 3, 2006 2:47 PM   in reply to Nikki_Tatts
    Hi Nikki,

I tried your solution but I still have the problem ("Can not find the Macromedia Flash")

:-(

Steve

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2006 4:10 PM   in reply to Nikki_Tatts
    Same here. It ain't working and Adobe doesn't give a rat's ***.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2006 6:53 PM   in reply to Nikki_Tatts
    Hi Nikki,

Yeah I tried that too, I still have the problem. Usually if I leave the PC alone for a while the message appears :-(

Steve

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2006 11:18 AM   in reply to Nikki_Tatts
    I found another remedy elsewhere..forgive me, but I don't know where I read it...

The person was saying that he had to uninstall QuickTime Player for some reason. Uninstall Flash Player(s), use the 'uninstaller' , then reinstall. He hadn't retried the Flash Player with QuickTime reinstalled.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2006 8:15 PM   in reply to LtScapes

I have unstalled flash player and not re-installed it, I still get the pop up error message

Adobe don't care at all, no replies or help, I asked for help in another message for this problem and got no response, what is the point of these support forums if they don't help ??

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2007 7:27 AM   in reply to hexagon4
    Had the same problem here - "Error - Can not find the Macromedia Flash". I was using LCARS System47 screensaver from mewho.com. It's an excellent and stable screensaver, and the best free one I've found with dual-monitor support. Adobe auto-updated Flash after I'd installed the screensaver, and that's when I started getting the error. So I thought maybe System47 was using Flash. I went back to mewho.com, got the latest install, installed over the existing, and my problem is solved. My kudos to Adobe and mewho.com for staying on top of things. (Adobe may not have replied to questions in this forum, but how could they know? It would be impossible for them to test every one of the possibly millions of real-world scenarios. But their products are always top-notch and well-supported.) Hope this helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2007 10:20 PM   in reply to toddshmack
    I also have started receiving the same "error can not find the macromedia flash" right after installing the Flash Player UPDATE which was requested by RealPlayer. After reading your post it appeared to me, and another here, that you must work for Adobe. If Adobe is going to offer for download spftware, then they should help when it is obvious that there is a real problem with their Flash UPDATE! For this issue to occur so mant times it can only be a flaw in the software, of course suckers could always PAY Adobe for support to fix THEIR flawed software. I had problems with Adobe long ago with their tech support NOT responding on problems with their PURCHASED software. Suckers Born Everyday....

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2007 11:54 AM   in reply to Davie587
    I'm not paying. I'll do without if that's the case.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2007 12:25 PM   in reply to Davie587
    I had this exact problem and worked out it was my screensaver (installed about 1 year before). I've changed the screensaver to a standard Windows one and the problem has gone. Not tried using a recent screensaver that requires flash yet, just happy that the problem has gone away.

It is really down to Adobe to support this type of problem because the problem is entirely their own fault because their latest player isn't backwards compatible and trying to uninstall etc doesn't fix the issue. If people haven't had replies to their posts from Adobe, this is very poor customer support.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2007 9:19 AM   in reply to Nikki_Tatts
    I've solved.
    After trying all your suggestions I found out that the problem was my flash made screensaver.

With a simplier one or none at all the problem doesn'ever exist.

The screensaver was looking for the old flash "Macromedia version"...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2007 3:15 PM   in reply to Nikki_Tatts
    The problem may be with your screen saver. Either select another screen saver or re-install the one you have. The one you have may not be compatible with the latest version of macromedia flash.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2007 6:45 AM   in reply to Nikki_Tatts
    Assure all of your screen saver and wallpaper files are in the c:\windows folder

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2007 2:05 PM   in reply to Nikki_Tatts
    If the message is "cannot find flash.ocx" then you MUST change your screensaver. Older Windows screensaver applications were hardcoded to look for the flash player activeX control by name. When the name of the control changed in Flash Player 9 they were no longer able to operate.

Most of the companies that make Flash based screensavers have updated their software to account for this in new products. But old screensavers are still hardcoded this way.

11/13/07 Update: We now have a technote for this issue:
    "Screen Savers that rely on older versions of Adobe Flash Player may not work" ( http://www.adobe.com/go/kb402694)

Bentley

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2007 12:52 PM   in reply to Nikki_Tatts
    I searched on my computer for any flas*.ocx or flas*.dll and found out that the flash9d.ocx was at c:\windows\system32\Macromed\Flash.

Depending on your system it could be located at c:\winnt\system32\Macromed\Flash. To make sure which is your system directory open a command prompt and write set then hit the enter key in order to issue the set command. There you will notice the environment variable windir=c:\winnt or c:\windows or you can also see the systemroot environment variable pointing to the windows directory.

Now that you know the name of your windows directory proceed to copy the flash9d.ocx or flash8d.ocx(depending on which you have) located at %windir%\system32\Macromedia\Flash to the %windir%\system32

Regards,

Humberto Roche
    Puerto Rico

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2008 11:22 AM   in reply to toddshmack
    re: "Can not find the Macromedia Flash" error.
    Thank You toddshmack for figuring this one out!!!
    Same problem...Same solution.
    Loaded the Spore Game (September 2008)
    Got "Can not find the Macromedia Flash" error.
    I also have the System47 screen saver from mewho.com. I think it is excellent too!
    I reinstalled the screensaver, still can't believe Todd thought of this, and everything is fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2008 1:24 PM   in reply to Nikki_Tatts
    toddshmack, thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2008 1:12 AM   in reply to toddshmack
    Thank you Toddshmack! Really big help!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2008 11:42 PM   in reply to Nikki_Tatts
    I just had the same problem with installing update for Adobe Flash Player 10 Active X and now I get that "Could not find Macromedia Flash" error message. I tried switching between my screensavers which I have from the Nature Conservancy and when I click on the preview button to preview the screensaver, that message appears. That message does not appear when I preview the simple Windows XP screensavers. Now that I have figured out the solution to that problem, does this mean I destined to use only the simple windows screensaver and I'll never be able to have my wonderful Nature Screensavers again???????? I have about 20 different nature screensavers and I won't be able to use any of them now?????

Talk about making me angry!!!!!

Does anyone have any ideas where I might get new Nature Screensavers that does not use Macromedia Flash? You realize this is all because Adobe bought Macromedia and did away with their programming don't you? This leaves all of us that own great screensavers with unusable screensavers! Not Fair!

If anyone has any ideas where I might get new Nature Screensavers could you please let me know?

Thanks for all your help! At least I won't have that stupid error message haunting me anymore now that I have my favorite screensavers turned off. boo hoo....

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2008 12:10 AM   in reply to bearabull7
    Actually, I solved my own problem. I just reinstalled all my (they were enature.com screensavers) again and viola! they work fine now. Yeah! Just thought I would pass that on in case anyone had the same situation.

Thanks again!

check out www.flowerswithfeelingscentral.com for nature photo cards and gifts that are really cool! TTFN!:smile

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2009 2:39 PM   in reply to Nikki_Tatts

Toddshmack's solution worked for me too.  Thanks heaps!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2010 11:26 AM   in reply to Nikki_Tatts

this one should be listed as solved--I just changed my screen saver and "voila"

GONE!!!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points