Skip navigation
shockyman
Currently Being Moderated

what are shockwave director, getplusplus, shockwave helper

Oct 1, 2009 3:50 AM

Hello community / Adobe experts,

i would be really thankful if anyone could help me with the following three questions. I tryed google, but didn't find answers.

Question 1)

I don't know much about plugins/extensions for Firefox but i though in order to watch media content, you should have

'Adobe Shockwave Player' and 'Adobe Flash Player' as a plugin.

I used the Adobe website to install these and the website exactly calls the Player that way

('Adobe Shockwave Player','Adobe Flash Player')

Consequently i expected Firefox to list these Plugins und menu options 'Add ons'.

But all that is listed here are

'Shockwave Flash'

'Shockwave for Director'

So my questions is, what are these Add-ons exactly?  Is 'Shockwave Flash' the same as 'Adobe Flash Player'?

Did  the install-process of 'Adobe Shockwave Player' create the plugin 'Adobe Flash Player'?

And where does 'Shockwave for Director' come from? Is it from the  install process of 'Adobe Shockwave Player'?

Or is 'Shockwave for Director' not needed for Shockwave content and is there a different shockwave player i should have installed.

Question 2)

What is Shockwave Helper and what is it needed for? Is it installed when installing 'Adobe Shockwave Player'

or where does it come from?

Do i need it to display the media content or can i block internet acces of the Helper with my Firewall (Kerio)

Question 3)

What the hell is 'getplusplus for Adobe 16248'. I missed the moment when it was installed on my system?

Do you know which process installed it?

Thank you very much for your support!!!

I want my system to stay clean and not trashed with unneccessary bulk, so help would be deeply appreciated.

Kind regards

Mike

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 1, 2009 12:22 PM   in reply to shockyman

1). 'Adobe Shockwave Player' == 'Shockwave for Director' and 'Adobe Flash Player' == 'Shockwave Flash'

2). Shockwave Helper is installed with 'Adobe Shockwave Player' and it "helps" Shockwave, perhaps by checking for updates or launching the OCX when required. Try blocking it and see if SW content still runs, but I don't think it's anything to be nervous of.

3). <pass>

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2009 10:13 PM   in reply to shockyman

GetPlusPlus is a 'crapware' component stealth-installed by the Flash plugin. Its purpose appears to be turning your browser into a client for the Adobe store without your express knowledge or permission (that's probably buried in a 10 page EULA). Adobe have obviously given up on writing good software and prefer instead to exploit their plugin monopoly to push unrelated software on to your computer. Sounds familiar? Possibly because Microsoft and Apple have been doing this for years.

This doesn't appear to be a very good way of competing with Silverlight, or staying relevant in an era where alternatives are just a few clicks away.

CORRECTION: 'Permission' to install is given by a checkbox entitled “Adobe may use the Adobe Download Manager to seamlessly install your software.” Make sure this is not checked when installing, it is completely unnesesary for using Flash or installing software and it has been reported to cause other issues including slowness and instability in FF.

more:

http://seasonalmadness.wordpress.com/2009/09/17/adobe-flash-and-getplu splus-bypass/

http://blog.severeanomaly.org/2009/09/12/adobe-sucks/

The second blog points out that getPlusPlus is installed as BOTH an extension and a plugin. You will need to remove both.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2009 5:51 PM   in reply to shockyman

3) GetPlus+ is the Transfer Manager (by NOS Microsystems) used by Adobe for various downloads such as Adobe Reader, Flash Player, etc.  See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NOSSO for some more information.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points