Skip navigation
franontheedge
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Bridge CS4 causes Blue Screen of Death! Help?

Oct 1, 2009 6:58 AM

Can anyone help?

I keep getting a Blue Screen of Death every so often when I am using Adobe Bridge CS4 and another program, either Photoshop or Bryce or Cinema4D.

When I have been working in the other program for a while and attempt to return to Bridge, the instant I click on the bridge icon in the low taskbar, the PC blue screens and everything dies instantly with no time to read the blue screen or to take a photo of it, never mind do anything useful like save the file I was working on.

I have winXP Pro and an NVidia Ge Force 8800 GTS graphics card. (both are up to date)

I recently got the Adobe updates but there wasn't one for Bridge.

Buckets full of memory: 289GB free on the C drive and I store most (work) things on my F drive which is a terrabyte with 315 gigs free.

Um.... dunno what else to say.

Except:  HELP!!!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 1, 2009 7:08 AM   in reply to franontheedge

It sounds like a memory management problem.  Check PS preferences/performance and see how much memory you have available and how much allocated to PS.  Recomendated range is 50-70%.  If you get much above that you could be starving the computer for other functions.

Also, check your paging file and see if it is large enough to handle program switching.  There is a formlua and believe it is recommended the paging file be 1.5 X the system RAM.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2009 9:10 AM   in reply to Curt Y

BSODs are usually caused by hardware or drivers.

You could try swapping out RAM to see if there is a duff module. Also check for driver updates for all your drivers.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2009 6:34 AM   in reply to franontheedge

Swapping out RAM is rather a loose term. If you have more than one stick plugged into the motherboard you can swap them over or remove one and check for the fault.

Don't do it if you don't know what you're doing!

You can also turn off Automatic Reboot in Windows so that you can read the BSOD.

Also make sure nothing is running in the background that isn't needed for Photoshop/Bridge.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2009 7:14 AM   in reply to franontheedge

Your PS settings look fine.  You have about what I have on my computer, and I have 3 gigs of RAM.

If you want to check you computer resources right click on "computer" in the directory, and then select properties.

If you want to check the hard drive for used/free space right click on dirve letter and select properties.

If you want to learn about paging file type in that name in help, or go on line to web.  If you find it is not set up correctly make sure you understand what you are doing before changing anything.

Don't confuse updates with upgrades.  An update is free and just installs the latest fixes.  Very important for video drivers.  Find out the make and model of video card and then go to website and check for updates.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 8, 2009 12:40 PM   in reply to franontheedge

franontheedge wrote:

I then attempt to activate Bridge from that icon in the bottom taskbar - the moment I touch it with my cursor - instantaneous Blue Screen and Reboot.

You really should disable the automatic reboot so you can read what's on the BSOD.

Also disable the automatic loading of Bridge in Photoshop Preferences and try starting it from the normal shortcut icon.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 16, 2009 1:35 AM   in reply to franontheedge

franontheedge wrote:

I heard somewhere that that was possible, (disabling the auto-reboot) but I have no idea how to do it.

This is how:

1. Go to Start > Control Panel > System
    2. Go to Advanced
    3. Under the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings...
    4. Under System Failure un-check Automatically restart.

I've looked in Photoshop's preferences but can't find anything about "automatic loading of Bridge".

You are right that was CS3. They have moved it in CS4 to Bridge Preferences under Advanced.

Let us know what you see on the BSOD!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 16, 2009 11:49 PM   in reply to John Joslin

I have not got a solution but just want to say that I have the exact same problem. I am no longer leaving Bridge open when working in Photoshop or Premiere Pro or Adobe After Effects, for that matter. It is not worth the hassle.

I have also had the blue screen of death when nothing else is open but Bridge and this has happened when I click on a txt file to read it in Bridge. The computer just clicks off and I get blue screen and then a reboot. I really don't have the time at the moment to try and work out what is wrong. What I do know is that my computer is running perfectly and every other program is working perfectly.

I think it is probably a  conflict with my Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT card. I have the latest drivers but my instinct tells me thats where I have the problem.

You could spend days trying to work this one out. I don't think it is worth it. I am trying to work around the problem. Bit of a shame but sometimes these things just happen and I would not bother putting too much effort into trying to find a solution if you can avoid it.

If it is a bug in Bridge or the Nvidia driver it may or may not one day be patched, and if it is patched, there will no doubt be another bug to plague the unlucky few who just happen to have a configuration that says bite me!

Good luck anyway, but I don't really believe there is a simple solution.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2009 2:19 AM   in reply to Robbie Dahl

Surprise!surprise! After all my negative comments I did eventually fix the problem. It remains to be seen if Bridge plays up again, but so far so good and no blue screen of death. This is what I did and I pass it on to you as it was not too difficult. It may or may not be applicable for your problem, but hopefully you can follow my instructions. This applies to Windows XP.

1. Open the "Event Viewer". To get to there - Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Event Viewer. In Event Viewer select System in the left hand panel. In the right hand side scroll down to the entry that occurred last time you had the blue screen event. There should be a red cirlcle with a white cross with the word "Error" under the type column. Right click on this line and select Properties.
    2. In the "Error Properties" there will be a description box describing the problem. You may be able to get some help on the error by googling for some answers on the net. If the description says something like you need to start a service - then you have probably found the solution. In this case take a note of the name of the service.
    3. If you have a name of a service go to Start>Run and in the Open box type "Services.msc" That is without the quotation marks, and click "OK".
    4. Make sure that you have the tab at the bottom of the window set to "extended" and not "standard".
    5. In the Services box, scroll down until you see the name of the service that you wrote down.
    6. Once you find this name, select the line. A description of what the service does will appear on the left hand side. If the service is disabled, right click and open properties.
    7. In the properties box, under the General Tab, in the start up type select either Automatic or manual. (Usually automatic will be the best choice.)
    8. Now that the service is enabled, click on start in the left hand side. Once this has processed, you should be able to run Bridge without the blue screen.

I hope this might help you.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2009 5:01 AM   in reply to franontheedge

Hi!

I hope you've managed to solve the problem. But just in case i'll tell you that i had the same headache and i've solved (or worked around it) by enabling the Software rendering under the Bridge Advanced Preferences Tab.

The thing is that Bridge will work fine until you want to use the magnifying glass on the preview tab (it will ralentize a bit)... But, you can still make your thumbnails on the content tab bigger so you don't have to zoom in all the time except you need to view some tiny details on the file you are looking for.

That worked for me... and i didn't even tried any of the other solutions shown here... i'll hope that in time the nVidia drivers get updated soon and this problem will disappear. Unfortunately, to try and see if it is fixed you'll have to turn off Bridge's software rendering after updating the driver and then take the risk of another sudden reboot.

Cheers!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2009 3:54 AM   in reply to franontheedge

It will be interesting to see if the remedies and troubleshhoting you will do fix things.

Also PaintShopPro does not save an inferior version of the image when saving as BMP, which I've noticed does now happen with Photoshop CS4.

Sure you aren't mixing up BMP and Photosop Bitmap? (Different animals.)

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2009 2:46 PM   in reply to franontheedge

Sorry, I can't offer much help with this issue but I happen to have this problem as well. It seems to have started when I upgraded to a Nvidia GeForce 280 card. I can only trigger the Blue Screen when Bridge CS4 is open. I've had nearly all the other CS4 applications open simultaneously for several days with no problems. It seems to only happen on the Nvidia machine.

I'm gonna try the above mentioned fixes and see what happens. I'll let you know if I figure out how to fix this.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2009 12:20 PM   in reply to franontheedge

Is anybody using Windows XP 64 bit. I'm having a very similar problem - CS4 and NVIDIA graphics card - and our IT guys want to upgrade me from 32 bit to 64.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2009 4:08 PM   in reply to beedan

Try rolling back the NVidia driver to an older version.   I had the exact symptoms above (WinXP 32, SP3) and Bridge kept crashing or reporting a corrupt cache.   Also, tended to BSOD when closing after creating a new cache.

Zero help from Adobe support on this - two queries still unanswered after many days.

Saw a comment about the new NVidia drivers causing grief - tried the roll-back.   Problem gone!    Halle-freaking-lujah!!

Good luck!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2009 5:44 AM   in reply to Zanuck

I had same problem and did a restore from the previous week.  For some reason I had to reinstall CS4.  When reinstalling the installer falis at the end.  CS4 works fine except when I click on help I get "error initializing help".  Not a big deal as it is just a link to web help. Butit is annoying.  ANy ideas how to fix?

thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2009 6:21 AM   in reply to TandemBob

Problem solved.  There were two folders in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Help\en_US

there was an 11.0 and an 11.0(2) folder.  The 11.0 was empty.  Deleted it and renamed the 11.0(2) to 11.0

works now

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2009 11:44 AM   in reply to TandemBob

awdaesrgha e wrote:

Problem solved.  There were two folders in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Help\en_US

there was an 11.0 and an 11.0(2) folder.  The 11.0 was empty.  Deleted it and renamed the 11.0(2) to 11.0

works now

Check to make sure you are using CS4 v 11.0.1.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2009 11:54 AM   in reply to Curt Y

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2009 1:48 PM   in reply to TandemBob

Looks like a blank check. 

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2009 2:57 AM   in reply to Curt Y

Oh wonderful - Bridge has started playing up for me now after many months of using it successfully. If I double-click on the Desktop icon Bridge opens and remains stable for a few minutes just so long as I don't click on anything else. As soon as I do click on something I get the BSOD and the system crashes. I have tried holding down Ctrl when starting Bridge and checking all the boxes but this hasn't made any difference at all. All drivers are up to date, there is no AV or anything else running in the background and CS4 is also not open.

Anyone got any suggestions as to why this should now be happening when nothing at all has changed on my system since the time that Bridge was running problem free?

Windows XP3, CS4 11.01

Edit: Don't know if this provides any more useful info, but when the system restarts the desktop icons for CS4 and Bridge return to where they were situated upon initial install and not to the positions that I had placed them on the desktop.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2009 5:23 AM   in reply to ElliR

You haven't got Bridge set to load on startup have you?

Before you start Bridge look in Task Manager > Processes to see if it's running there and kill it.

Then start from the icon and change ther preference.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2009 6:14 AM   in reply to John Joslin

Hi John - no Bridge isn't running in the Task Manager and checking in Preferences, 'start Bridge at login' is also unchecked. Whatever the problem, it seems to have gone away ........for now.  Whilst Bridge would open ok, so long as I didn't do anything it wouldn't crash. However, as soon as I clicked on a thumbnail (any thumbnail - any folder) the Metadata for that image would appear in the right hand panel followed by maybe 5 seconds later, the BSOD.

A few moments ago I opened Bridge, and this time only Bridge crashed, not the entire PC. I've subsequently opened Bridge a further 3-4 times and it now appears to be behaving itself. Strange - because as I've already said, nothing has changed in my system for the past few months, all drivers are up to date (including graphics) and I've got 4GB of RAM so why this has suddenly started happening is anyones guess.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2009 5:22 AM   in reply to ElliR

ElliR wrote:

Strange - because as I've already said, nothing has changed in my system for the past few months, all drivers are up to date (including graphics) and I've got 4GB of RAM so why this has suddenly started happening is anyones guess.

There was a bunch of Windows updates last week on "Patch Tuesday".

Normally I never notice any changes, but this time there were a few odd effects.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2009 1:16 PM   in reply to John Joslin
    function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

John Joslin wrote:

ElliR wrote:

Strange - because as I've already said, nothing has changed in my system for the past few months, all drivers are up to date (including graphics) and I've got 4GB of RAM so why this has suddenly started happening is anyones guess.

There was a bunch of Windows updates last week on "Patch Tuesday".

Normally I never notice any changes, but this time there were a few odd effects.

Oh I didn't know that John.   What odd effects are you referring to - Photoshop/Bridge related?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2009 1:34 AM   in reply to ElliR

Nothing Adobe related for me – it was things like desk-top icons and sounds.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2009 6:20 AM   in reply to John Joslin

Oh alright then John - thanks. Two days later and things still seem to be running normally - fingers crossed they continue to do so. I'll take this opportunity if I may to wish you and yours a Merry Christmas and the best of British for 2010. Thanks for all your good work these last 12 months.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2009 10:46 AM   in reply to ElliR

ElliR wrote:

Oh alright then John - thanks. Two days later and things still seem to be running normally - fingers crossed they continue to do so. I'll take this opportunity if I may to wish you and yours a Merry Christmas and the best of British for 2010. Thanks for all your good work these last 12 months.

Merry Christmas to you too Elli! 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2011 10:18 AM   in reply to franontheedge

Sorry to bother you guys, but since I upgraded my CS4 Web Premium to CS5,  I now have so many problems trying to get Bridge CS5 to function

it now doesnt:-

1) recognise my Canon EOS 55OD camera

2) Open any existing photos

I keep getting the blue screen of death, with the following stop error

(first there is a line of OXOOOO's and OXC's etc but then on the next line is the following):-

nv4_d1sp.dll - address BDOBC359 base at BDO12000. Datestanp 4a891c

Does anyone know what this means or why this happens? I had no problems with any of the programs in CS4 and even now Dreamweaver CS5 and Photoshop CS5 are opening and running fine. This will only happen as soon as I hit BR in PS.

oh yeah, I guess you also need some details about my PC hardware.

Intel Processor 3.2ghz - 2GB RAM

500GB SATA hard drive ( 64GB free space remaining ).

Windows XP (with Service Pack 3) (all Windows updates up to date and Adobe upates same)

Hope this is enough info

Any help would be most appreciated so I can get my new photos off my camera into Bridge CS5,

many thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2011 12:57 PM   in reply to zukisox

I've had that one before. It's a video driver problem with Bridge. It's trying to do something the video software isn't happy with.

Check your video driver is up to date on the nVidia website. It may be worth doing a clean driver install too (remove old driver - sweep for leftovers - install latest driver).

If you're on the latest driver, maybe try a reinstall anyway.

When it happened to me, I actually ended up going back a few versions - i.e. the latest version was causing the BSOD.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points