Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

can not get photoshop to start, sratch file not found

Oct 5, 2009 3:58 PM

I've just installed photoshop CS4 onto my laptop and when I try to run the program, it'll go through the process of loading. But at the last step a pop up comes up and says "could not open a scratch file because the file could not be found." After clicking ok, another box pops up and says "could not intialize photoshop because the file could not be found." Can anyone tell me how to resolve this problem?

Oh, I'm running on Windows Vista Home 32-bit, and I have 2GB RAM.

Thanks,

Marc

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 5, 2009 4:46 PM   in reply to spammyy

Are you running the .exe file as administrator?

CS4 is installed on C drive correct?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2009 8:07 PM   in reply to spammyy

I have not seen this issue before and even tried google.

Unless you did not have enough drive space on your hard drive for a scratch disk I can't think of a reason why CS4 cannot find the file.

Maybe someone else seen it before and will chime in.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2009 10:14 PM   in reply to spammyy

What drive is the scratch file set to in Photoshop preferences?

Make sure it is set to an internal drive, preferably not the system drive if you have more than one hard drive.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2009 4:16 AM   in reply to spammyy

I think you need to reset your preferences as described in the FAQ.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/375776?tstart=0

You either have to physically delete (or rename) the preference files or, if using the Alt, Ctrl, and Shift method, be sure that you get a confirmation dialog.

This resets all settings in Photoshop to factory defaults.

A complete uninstall/re-install will not affect the preferences and a corrupt file there may be causing the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2009 4:19 AM   in reply to John Joslin

... or the OP could be using Home Basic.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2009 5:07 AM   in reply to spammyy

spammyy wrote:

I've just tried to delete the preferences, but the same message is still popping up.

How did you "try"?  Did you get a confirmation dialog?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2009 5:18 AM   in reply to spammyy

That's strange. What is your system drive label? C?

Tell us:

Operating System/version
    Photoshop version number
    Amount of RAM installed
    Hard drive capacity

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2009 5:39 AM   in reply to spammyy

That should be OK (although you really need to free up some space on that drive).

Have you ever had an external drive connected in the past?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2009 5:41 AM   in reply to spammyy

When you get this error message, before you close it, is there a file called Photoshop TempNNNNNNNNNN on C:\ or D:\ or E:\ or whatever internal drives you have?  And once you close Photoshop does this file still exist?  On my Win7 system the Photoshop Temp file is created on the root of my E: drive when I start up Photoshop and disappears when I exit.  If this file lingers after Photoshop has ended then there could be a permissions problem or corruption problem on that drive.

You might want to run chkdsk c: and chkdsk d: (whatever your internal drive letters are) from a command-prompt to see if there are any errors on any of them, and if so, then fix them with chkdsk x: /f or run a scandisk with the fix-filesystem-errors option enabled.

I suppose it's possible your drive letters have changed and the drive you used to have the Photoshop scratch file on is now a CD drive and cannot be opened by Photoshop, anymore.  If you've added a CD drive or another internal drive then you may want to switch around drive letters temporarily until the ones Photoshop used to write to are writable, again, and if Photoshop opens successfully, set the scratch file to C:\ and then change the drives back to how you want them, then set the Photoshop's scratch to the drive you want after the drive letters are what you want.

Another thought:  Long ago there used to be a limit to how many files were allowed in a root directory.  I don't know if this limit still exists with more modern OSes, but if you have a lot of files in a root directory then get rid of a few and see if things start to work.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2009 5:49 AM   in reply to spammyy

Did you purchase CS4 from the adobe web page as a download or as a DVD? The download may be corrupt.

Did you install CS4 as Admin?

Does the DVD have any scratches on it?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2009 5:23 AM   in reply to spammyy

I had this problem when I removed a hard drive from my computer.

Tried resetting preferences to no avail.

In the end I had to add another drive with the same drive letter as the old one to get photoshop and light room to start. Then you can go and change the settings so they don't rely on it being there.

Perhaps it is a removable media of some kind or an external hard disk that was connected when you did the install?

Pretty dodgy behavior for modern software if you ask me. Had me tearing my hair out for a bit.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2011 8:01 AM   in reply to spammyy

Hi, i was having exactly the same problem after i reformatted my laptop. Did anyone found out what's the root cause and the solution of it? I know it is quite a rare problem cause I hardly can search the post that post exactly the same issue as mine other than this post. I really hope someone can help me on this, cause I depend a lot on PS, without it my laptop will be literally "handicapped".

Regards,

QiuJay.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,459 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jan 5, 2011 10:06 AM   in reply to qiujay

When you're starting Photoshop, IMMEDIATELY after clicking on the menu item or icon, hold down the Ctrl and Alt keys.  You will be prompted to change the scratch disk assignments, and I'm betting that will lead you to being able to start Photoshop.

Also, make sure your TEMP and TMP environment variables are pointing at an actual folder that you can access in a read/write manner.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2011 5:40 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Thanks Noel. I've tried method that but when I changed it to another location, then another problems pop up: immediately PS gets crashed and the fault module is "msvcr90.dl". Once I thought that it's my hard disk causing the problem but when I reformatted my laptop using another HDD & try install the PS again... same thing happened.

"Also, make sure your TEMP and TMP environment variables are pointing at an actual folder that you can access in a read/write manner."

- How do I know that it is pointing at the folder that I can access in a read/write manner?

Again, thanks for your time.

Regards,

QiuJay.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,459 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jan 5, 2011 8:02 PM   in reply to qiujay

Open a CMD window, and type the command SET T followed by Enter.  This will show you what the values of your TEMP and TMP environment variables are - specifically what folder(s) they point to (it may also show other variables that start with T, and you can ignore them).

Now try to save a file in the folder(s) identified.  If you are successful, you have write access to your temporary areas.

For what it's worth, I always reconfigure my TEMP and TMP variables on all my Windows systems to point to a directory I've specifically created for the purpose:  C:\TEMP

In other words:

TEMP=C:\TEMP
    TMP=C:\TEMP

These variables can be set through advanced System settings.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2011 3:18 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

OK. So the TEMP and TMP environment variables on my laptop are pointing at an actual folder that I can access in a read/write manner, but I still couldn't get PS works. Any other possible solution? It would be good if Adobe can list out all the possible problems & solutions when something happen without having me to guess around what's the root cause there.

Regards,

QiuJay.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,459 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jan 6, 2011 4:17 AM   in reply to qiujay

At this point I'm guessing too.  Someone else will have to come up with more ideas.  Note that this is a user-user forum, and I'm just another user like you.

What you're faced with, lacking a specific targeted solution, is a reinstall.  Do you have the original media from Adobe?

Keep in mind most people do not see this error.  I have never seen it.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2011 9:15 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Finally, I got the PS to work. The root cause is the hard disk. The reason why I still couldn't run PS last time even though I reformatted my laptop for a lot of times is because my hard disk was sort of having some errors. It might be a minor one but PS just won't run. So this time I reformatted my hard disk to be only in 1 partition (means only C drive cause last time I have 2 partitions) and it works perfectly. So the problem here is with my HDD & I need to wholly reformat it before I give partitions into it, so that my PS will work. Phew~ It got me 6 days to realize this simple cause of everything. Anyway Noel, appreciate your time again for this. It's a rare one, but I'm sure this info will be useful someday somewhere. =)

Regards,

QiuJay.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,459 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jan 6, 2011 9:48 AM   in reply to qiujay

If you're having hard drive errors, reformatting isn't a solution.  The hardware is failing!

A reformat may identify bad blocks and keep the file system from using them, but the disk is probably on its way out.  Do backups and get another one before you lose everything.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points