Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to align to a key object?

Oct 5, 2009 5:08 PM

I want to align 100 to the lowest tick in my figure. I know I should be able to click on the tick again then illustrator should recoganize it as a key object but there's no change when I did so. If I chose "align to key object", it always takes "100" as the key object insead of the tick. Anybody can tell me what I did wrong or where I was missing? Thanks.

alignment.JPG

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 6, 2009 12:19 AM   in reply to Bluesky6686

Just checking...

Select both the tick and the 100. Click on the tick. Click Vertical Align Bottom in the Align Panel. That doesn't work?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2009 5:30 AM   in reply to Bluesky6686

Bluesky,

Wht release to separate layers, instead of just release?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2009 8:55 AM   in reply to Bluesky6686

The technique I usually use is to manually place the top and bottom values where I want them, Shift -select all the values and use the Distribute Align buttons in the Options area of the Align panel.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2009 9:08 AM   in reply to Bluesky6686

I have t tell you sometimes the simplest most intuitive way is best and there is nothing wrong with eyeballing things sometimes.

So for crying out loud select the numbers all of them use the up arrow keys till the 100 looks centered.

Now you're done with it.

Nothing wrong with using your visual judgment, although it has become a sin in these times.

that's what i would do, when I was younger I use to put together hundreds of annual reports with thousands of charts and it was all done by hand

and no one ever complained that the numbers did not align properly. they sometimes complained about and they could be very picky.

I know but how do you align it in Illustrator. LOL!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2009 9:46 AM   in reply to Bluesky6686

Or, presuming the numbers have the right vertical mutual distribution, using the Centre Reference Point in the Transform palette,

0) (Direct)Select the lowest tick and read the Y value unless you know it already; you may also move the whole diagram so the start ticks have nice values unless placed that way from the start which is always a good thing so you can verify what you are doing;

1) (Direct)Select the 100 and read the Y value;

2) Select the numbers and Object>Transform>Move them vertically as much as the difference between the Y values in 1) and 2); you can still see the latest Y value in the Transform palette so you only have to remember/write down one value; it is especially easy if the 1) value is nice.

Correspondingly for the horizontal part.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2009 9:48 AM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Your using the direct selection tool, use the solid black one instead (i never remember the name)

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2009 9:48 AM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Your using the direct selection tool, use the solid black one instead (i never remember the name)

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2009 11:06 AM   in reply to Bluesky6686

Use the Object>Compound Path>Release to remove the designation or use Cut/Paste in Front to remove it from the compound path.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2009 11:12 AM   in reply to Bluesky6686

What Larry said.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 7, 2009 1:05 AM   in reply to Bluesky6686

For my part you are welcome, Bluesky.

|
    Mark as: