Skip navigation
JJRauck
Currently Being Moderated

Fatal Error Using Adobe Photo Downloader

Oct 9, 2009 10:24 PM

I'm trying to get photos from my iPhone into the PSE Organizer.  I select FILE-->GET PHOTOS AND VIDEOS-->FROM CAMERA OR CARD READER...  I then select my iPhone as the device to get photos from.

The downloader begins searching for media and finding files, but just as it starts to display thumbnails it stops and brings up a Fatal Error window that says the following:

Adobe Photo Downloader has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Error code: c0000005

Address: 7c910a19

This occured on Photoshop Elements 7 and is continuing to occur on the PSE8 version I just installed.

Windows XP

iPhone 3Gs

Any idea what the problem might be?  I've searched forums and the internet extensively, to no avail.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 18, 2009 6:50 AM   in reply to JJRauck

EXACT same thing happening to me.  Windows XP. iphone 3GS.  Did you figure it out?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2009 8:58 PM   in reply to JJRauck

Hi JJRauck,

This crash comes under a specific workflow. If your iPhone contains an image that is saved from an email attachment, this crash comes. i.e If you have mail setup on your iPhone and you save the image from one of the mail atachments and then try to download your photos via APD.

Please try to delete the saved images from the email attachments from your iPhone and try to download again.

Please let me know, if this solves your problem.

Thanks/Tarun

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2009 9:49 AM   in reply to TarunAggarwal.

My vote is that this workaround needs a permanent fix.  Hoping it's an issue being addressed by the PE development team.

Thanks!

:-) Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2009 5:00 PM   in reply to _Bill V_

I don't think they are working on it.  I am in the middle of a tech support ticket about it.  Their first response appeared to be machine generated and was so far off the mark I wonder how they can call it support.  I think we are caught in the middle of a dispute between the two companies over Flash on the iPhone.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2009 7:07 PM   in reply to Kris Ludington

Hi there,

I have observed this crash in one more scenario if the photo is edited from the phone itself. Please let me know, if you have edited any of the photos from the iPhone and then observing the crash?

Thanks,

Tarun

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2009 4:42 AM   in reply to TarunAggarwal.

Hello.

On my phone, I have edited pictures using the iPhone Photoshop app, sent pictures to flickr with various apps and email pictures via gmail.  As a test: I moved all my pictures to my laptop, disconnected my iPhone from my laptop, took a picture, reconnected the phone to the laptop and automated photo downloader still failed.

Bummer.

The photo downloader tool works great when I connect my flash card to my laptop via my USP reader.

Bill.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2009 6:09 AM   in reply to TarunAggarwal.

Tarun,

Yes.  I have edited photos on the phone (Photogene).  But as pointed out by _Bill_V_, that's not the problem.  It's a plain old bug.  Adobe just needs to fix it.  Maybe they could ask the Google guys how they did it.  Picasa 3 sucks all the photos right out of my iPhone, edited or not, with no problem (and it's free), so I solved the problem by switching to Picasa. 

Kris

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2009 12:11 AM   in reply to Kris Ludington

Hi,

Earlier, this crash was observed under a specific workflow. If the iPhone contains an image that is saved from an email attachment, this crash comes. i.e. if we have mail setup on the iPhone and we save the image from one of the mail attachments and then try to download the photos via APD. This was happening because of mismatch in thumbnail size and actual thumbnail data of the image provided by the device.

Recently, I tried a workflow in which I edited the photo from iPhone itself and I reproduced this crash. On deleting the edited photos, APD would work just fine. This crash is also due to the same above mentioned reason.

Adobe is investigating both the crasher workflows.

Thanks/Tarun

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2009 11:55 AM   in reply to JJRauck

Hello

I have exactly the same problem as well with WIndows XP and iPhones 3G and 3GS.  Under PSE 6, there was an easy method under preferences to turn off the APD.

This seems to have disappeared in PSE 7.

Does anybody know a way to turn off the APD so it does not appear at all?

Every time my wife or I plug our iphones in to charge / sync them, we get the fatal error and it's very annoying!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2009 2:59 PM   in reply to benalawrence

On PSE 7 and 8, the downloader appears as one of the options in the Windows Autoplay window when you plug in the camera or card. So you need to configure Windows Autoplay to no longer launch the downloader automatically. To do that on Vista or Windows 7, go to Start > Control Panel > Autoplay.  (I forget where that is on XP.)

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2009 5:31 AM   in reply to John R. Ellis

Thanks!  Will try this

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers