Skip navigation
stevefoobar2
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Audition has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Oct 10, 2009 4:39 PM

I have been using Audition 2.0 on this computer for quite some time and suddenly now when I open it, I get the cryptic error dialogue:

"Adobe Audition has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.  If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost.  For more information about this error, click here."

When I click for more information, it's something useless like:

AppName: audition.exe    AppVer: 2.0.5306.2    ModName: unknown

ModVer: 0.0.0.0   Offset: 65726168

Nothing on my computer has changed.  There are no viruses.  I have not added any new audio plug-ins.  I am completely up to date with all critical Windows XP SP3 updates and none have been downloaded and installed recently anyway.

I searched the knowledgebase and found a document that suggesting many things to try.  I tried them all, including running the Windows hard disk "check disk" tool with options to fix file system errors and recover bad sectors. I also defragmented the hard drive.  Lastly, I completely uninstalled Audition, then  manually deleted any remaining files, including registry entries as suggested in another knowledgebase article.

I then re-installed Audition 2.0 and it did exactly the same thing!  This it maddening.  Now it gets even more interesting.  I discovered that if I start up the

Adobe ExtendScript Toolkit that Adobe Audition installed also, then try to launch Audition from the toolkit, IT STARTS CORRECTLY!  I can then close the toolkit and use it like normal.  Weird work-around.

What the heck could possibly be going on?  Anyone have any ideas?  I've attached the error log file that is generated by the error but I doubt it will be of much help.

Thanks!

Steve in Chicago

Attachments:

Replies
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Oct 10, 2009 5:32 PM   in reply to stevefoobar2

stevefoobar2 wrote:

What the heck could possibly be going on?  Anyone have any ideas?  I've attached the error log file that is generated by the error but I doubt it will be of much help.

Actually, there might be a clue there - the logfile is listing everything it does in terms of scanning plugins during startup - and there are an awful lot of those. If one that Audition deems necessary to operate fails (even though you don't want to use it) then the startup will fail.

What we don't get a clue about is why it will start from the extended toolkit - unless this is correctly opening whatever it is before Audition trys to.

But what that means is that it probably isn't Audition itself that's failed - it's something to do with the install state of something it accesses during startup.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 21, 2010 5:41 PM   in reply to stevefoobar2

stevefoobar2: I may have found a solution for you.

I had the same thing happen to me today. I was using Audition 2 this morning without any problems. But this afternoon, it started giving me the exact same error with no apparent reason. Nothing on my system had changed.

So I uninstalled it and installed Audition 3 in its place. Audition 3 continued to have the same problem that Audition 2 had, so we can assume that this is not something that was changed between versions.

But my attention was brought to the fact that you and I are both running Windows XP SP3 fully up-to-date. So I thought I'd try seeing it from the angle of a problem with Windows instead of Audition, and see if I didn't get a better result -

First, I logged on to Windows as Administrator. This may or may not be required, but you'll probably want to do it just in case (you'll see what I mean later). At this point, Audition still crashed the same way when I opened it, so I moved on to my next troubleshooting strategy -

Instead of opening Audition directly, I right-clicked the Audition icon and selected "Run as..." This may seem odd since I was already logged in as Administrator, but it proved to be the solution in my case.

In the "Run As" diolog, there are two main options: run as current user, or run as another user.

Since I was already logged in as Administrator, I could safely select the first option (run as current user). But here's the catch: selecting the first option allowed me to UNcheck the box underneath that says "Protect my computer and data from unauthorized program activity" (see the attached picture)

Audition opened without any problems when I did this.

This makes me think that one of the Windows security features suddenly decided to block something that Audition was trying to do, crashing the program in the process. By turning off this security feature, the problem was solved. And I only had to do it once. Every time afterwards, Audition has opened without any problems when I simply open it from my desktop. Perhaps Windows now remembers not to block Audition in the future.

However, I have not restarted my computer yet, or logged off as Administrator. You may need to tweak this solution if you plan to do either of these things. You may end up having to "Run as" Audition every time you restart your computer or log off. You may even need to select the SECOND option, and run the program as Administrator with the appropriate password.

Anyway, this was the only post I could find on Adobe.com concerning this problem, so I thought I'd post my solution in case it helped someone else.

Attachments:

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jan 22, 2010 1:06 AM   in reply to Giffyguy

I have to say that anybody using Audition 2 is strongly advised to upgrade to 3.0.1 - it's a whole lot more stable, and with additional useful features. And Audition always runs most sensibly when you are logged on with Administrator privileges.

Also, it's been noted in several places that Windows updates have done a lot of weird things lately to all sorts of software that used to run fine, and suddenly doesn't. Generally though, when M$ screw something up, they end up fixing it pretty quickly, because they get a lot of complaints. So it's now unfortunately the case that you have to run Windows Update (and we found that one of the more important things to do was to make sure that the .NET framework was up to date) quite frequently if you run it at all. The only alternative is to get a stable system, use it as such and don't run any updates on it ever. The best solution with a dedicated DAW is in fact the latter, and simply don't ever connect it to the internet. But it's not an ideal solution, because of things like online software authentication. FWIW, I think that most people in this situation only connect when they absolutely have to, and always behind a good firewall. Whatever you do, don't use the machine for internet browsing, though!

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 14, 2010 7:42 AM   in reply to stevefoobar2

I am having the same issue, except I am using Audition 3.

The error msg reads:

AppName: audition.exe    AppVer: 2.0.5306.2    ModName: unknown

ModVer: 0.0.0.0   Offset: 6c694620

I tried the Run As solution that was posted here, but no joy. In fact, I can't even uninstall and

reinstall Audition because the process halts with a message that the

components.msi in the Windows folder is missing or bad.

I'm running this on a Sony Viao VGC-RC219G with Windows XP SP3.

Any help?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points