Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Importing MTS Files in Premiere Pro CS4

Oct 19, 2009 5:41 PM

Greetings

I have a new Panasonic HD video camera. Video files are stored on HDD and SD in AVCHD format. They have file extension MTS.

When I trry to import these, Premiere is telling me this is an unsupported format but the documentation says that it IS supported.

What gives?

Thank you in advance!

Mark Roberts,

Toronto, Canada

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 19, 2009 6:06 PM   in reply to MCRoberts

Are you using the trial version?  AVCHD and anything else with MPEG in the name is not supported in the trial.

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2009 8:17 PM   in reply to MCRoberts

Did you copy the complete folder structure to your hard drive from the flash media or HDD?  Have you tried importing/previewing the clip(s) from the Media Browser?

FWIW, I have successfully imported Panasonic HMC150 clips into Pr on several occasions.

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2009 1:09 AM   in reply to MCRoberts

I use MTS files from the STREAM directory of my Canon HF11 camcorder everyday with no real problems.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2009 5:52 AM   in reply to MCRoberts

Couldn't hurt! 

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2009 9:57 AM   in reply to MCRoberts

Hi - I am able to import MTS files produced by my Panasonic SD200 AVCHD camcorder in to Premiere Pro CS4 with no problem.  I strongly advise you to copy the entire SD card contents on to your SD card though.  If you have the SD card directory structure and supporting files present then Premiere is able to work with the MTS files in the media browser and recognises them to be AVCHD. 

To answer your original question though - I am able to import MTS files from panasonic in to Premiere Pro CS4.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2009 10:18 AM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Greetings, I have just downloaded the trial version of Adobe premiere pro CS 4... I have CS 4  web  premium and should have probably purchased the master collection.  I also just recently purchased a canon of the vixia HF S10  high definition video camera.  In your list of compatibility its states that MTS file format is recognized by this program .  I also confirmed that with your sales of staff .  I was reading your information that you were giving to other people using the program my concern is if I spend all this money on this program which, I might add, seems to be very complete and something that I could see myself using quite often.  My problem is how do I know if it will work with the format of my very expensive camera.  How do I know your program will do what I need it to do before I make a commitment and purchased a very expensive program .    I know it will work with my canon XL2s because those formats work in many other programs.  What guarantee do I have that it will work ?

Thank you

Michael Spinner

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2009 11:23 AM   in reply to Mikeover

Buy it, try it and if not satisfied return within 30 days.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2009 11:25 AM   in reply to Mikeover

the vixia HF S10...my very expensive camera.

Thanks.  I needed a chuckle. 

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2012 4:44 AM   in reply to MCRoberts

Hey everyone,

I've been having a similar problem - since today, my premiere pro cs4 can't handle .mts files anymore... I've been working with the same camera and system for 2 years now, and when I opened the project (one I've been working on just yesterday) today, it says that .mts is not a supported file format. The files themselves seem to be ok, vlcplayer plays them without issues, and they are located on a local drive. I haven't done anything different, no windows updates, nothing. what the hell could be wrong?

It's premiere pro cs4 full version on a vista system.

-Jutta

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2012 8:57 AM   in reply to kleinesgruenes

Jutta,

Have you seen this FAQ Entry? http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1050730?tstart=0

Especially with CS4, it might be helpful.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2013 11:58 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Thanks for the support - although it didn't help me.

I eventually solved the problem by crossgrading to CS6 on a mac.

-Jutta

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2013 3:53 PM   in reply to riyan6

[Moved to CS4 and Earlier.]

Conversion isn't always a good idea.  In fact, it's more often a bad idea, as it usually involves a generation loss and introduces artifacts and degradation.

Ideally, you want to edit the native material whenever possible.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points