Skip navigation
Farzad!
Currently Being Moderated

Typewriter tool Acrobat 9

Oct 20, 2009 11:47 AM

UPDATE 2:

Please see attached simpl scanned file.

When I first open it Typewriter tool works just fine.

If I extract a page from it, not deleting the page, then the typewriter tool only allows typing text and not modifying anything like spacing, etc.

----------------------------------------------------------

Update:

Just ran a test:

1) I extracted the entire document to help enable the typewriter tool editi features. Tested the extracted file and everything works as expected.

2) I extracted one page out of this new document. The problem re-appeared.

So what it means is that when I extract a page the typewriter tool gets set to disable editing features.

Strange?

=================

Hello.

My office just upgraded us to Acrobat Pro 9.1.3 on our XP- Pro.

The Typewrighter tool works unpredictably. In some cases you can type text in but you are not allowed to change its size, spacing and so on. The features are dimmed out. I am working on a file with multiple sheets which are originally scanned into pdf. What I found out is when the problem comes up, if I extract all the sheets into another file the problem goes away and then comes back up after a while, requiring me to re-extract the entrie document.

I have checked file settings and the security setting is always set to none.

Some of the things I am doing to these files (engineering drawings) is I am cropping a portion of the drawing and then extracting that page, saving it into its own unique file. Then I am undoing the cropping and moving on to other things. In some cases I am placing annotations on the files. I don't beieve any of these activities should be causing unpredictable performance of the Typewriter tool.

I have searched KB and all over the internet and have not seen any doscussions on this.

I would appreciate any insight that anyone can bring to us.

Farzad

Attachments:

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 20, 2009 12:33 PM   in reply to Farzad!

I could not re-create the issue when testing your file with Adobe Acrobat Professional 9.2.

I extracted the page with the typwriter text and could edit and change the properties (using the Typewriter toolbar) of the typewriter text in the new document. The Typewriter Toolbar elements like font, color, size, *will* be grey until double-clicking in the existing typewriter text, then they should be available.

It would be worth updating to version 9.2 regardless of issues, but maybe the problem you are having is related to double-clicking.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2009 12:56 PM   in reply to Farzad!

Hopefully the update will help solve the problem!

For an example, attached is the page I extracted from your file. In this new file, the typewriter text font, size, and color was changed after extraction.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2009 8:13 PM   in reply to Farzad!

I did test again and could not recreate the issue both on my work and home computers.

I could edit the typewriter text in both the extracted page file and the original after the page was extracted, both before and after saving.

Thinking about the difference in our experiences with the same file, it seems like your file is being flattened somehow. Do you have any settings that flatten the document on save?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2009 5:24 AM   in reply to Farzad!

Well I tried checking this outl for you but could do all necessart actons!. Probably you need a hardware guy to look into this and advise you.Secondly reset the typewriter and the setting for printing PDF Docs (if your typewriter has any issues it would show up in message alarms !

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points