Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Straighten ONE side of smooth curve on closed path

Oct 22, 2009 11:06 AM

I'm sure this is posted somewhere, or in Help... darned if I can find it.  Using InDesign CS3 (5.0.4) on a Mac.

Click and drag 3 times to create an open U-shape with three smooth points, then click on the starting point to close the path.  What you now have is a kind of a U-shape with all curved path segments and smooth points (except the very first point; it has only 1 handle).

Then a bit later I realize I want the final (top) segment of the U to be perfectly straight. So I need to get rid of the LEADING direction handle on the third point, WITHOUT DISTURBING AT ALL THE CURVE LEADING UP TO THAT POINT. (Because that curve is already very carefully aligned with something else and I SO don't want to have to realign it.)

I can do this easily in Illustrator by clicking with the convert tool on the HANDLE ITSELF--the handle I want to delete.  In InDesign, clicking with the convert tool (whether I access it directly or via a keyboard shortcut) on a handle does nothing. I've tried variations on tools/keyboard shortcuts but can't seem to come up with a solution.  

Am I really stuck with using the convert tool to drag the leading handle back to the point, then going REAL close, and closer yet, to try and drag it completely back to the point?  There has to be a better way...  Thanks for listening.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 22, 2009 11:14 AM   in reply to quoz

For an existing path, hold Option/Alt as you adjust the control handle. For a new path, drag out the curve on the third point normally, then press Option/Alt without releasing the mouse button and drag back down to the anchor point.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2009 11:37 AM   in reply to quoz

Alternatively, you could draw a rectangle, position it over that side, then use the Pathfinder to subtract the rectangle area from your original shape.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2009 11:47 AM   in reply to quoz

I used the Direct Select tool (white arrow) to drag the control handle of the third point down while holding Option. Since I was moving it straight down, I could have just used Shift instead.

Screen shot 2009-10-22 at 11.47.01 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2009 1:02 PM   in reply to quoz

The same shortcuts (nearly) for the pen tool work in in both Illy and ID. Select the pen tool then hold Cmd (ctrl) and you'll get the direct select tool, hold Opt (alt) and you'll get the convert tool.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2009 8:54 PM   in reply to quoz

here's the solution; i'm using cs3.

1. use the direct selection tool (shortcut 'a') and click on a point to show its handles.

2. make sure 'view > snap to point' is checked (shortcut cmd + option + 'l'), without this you will get the behavior described whereby a handle just gets really close to its anchor.

3. now click on the handle you want to get rid of, and if you don't want to disturb the position of the other handle on the anchor, hold down option, but this is not strictly necessary.

4. drag the handle towards the anchor. when you get close enough the cursor will change, i use precise cursors which means it changes to a vertical and horizontal crosshairs with a tiny carat in the lower right corner. if you release while the cursor is in that state, the handle will no longer exist as it is 'absorbed' into the anchor.

so what people said earlier was correct, but you have to make sure that 'snap to point' is on. does that work for you?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2009 10:14 AM   in reply to quoz

i didn't notice this was an indesign question, the solution i provided was for illustrator. indeed, the behavior in indesign is different; for example, using the direct selection tool with option held down doesn't isolate that handle unless it has been 'broken' from the opposite side with the convert anchor tool, etc.

it seems that there is no 'snap to point,' and that the closest thing, 'smart guides' with 'snap to guides' turned on, only comes in cs4, so i can't check to see if that does what you're looking for. but i would say that if you're making complex paths, do it in illustrator, then just paste to indesign when you work on layout and scaling.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points