Skip navigation
Ausdigital
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Pro CS 4 Video Preview

Oct 30, 2009 5:45 PM

I have upgraded after much deliberation from Premiere Pro CS2 to the new Premiere Pro CS4 and have a major issue.  Hope someone in the usergroup can assist with this.

I am running an AMD Athlon 2.8 with 2ghz RAM, terrabyte drive (IDE), 256 MG AGP Nvideo GeForce graphics card.

The issue is that when I capture a video project and want to edit it there is nothing in the preview window selected.  I can drag the footage to the timeline and again, in the second window there is nothing when playing back.  However, when I stop playback and click in the preview window the last frame is displayed.

I can play again, audio works fine, but no video playback is rendered in the window.

I never had any issues with CS2 working in this manner.  The above issue also occurs when a (working) CS2 project is opened in CS4 (after converting).  I have also read other forums about the 12bit 32 kHz and 16bit 48 kHz properties of Avi files but have tried different settings from my Sony camera without any change in results.

Many thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 30, 2009 8:45 PM   in reply to Ausdigital

Two thoughts come to mind.

Did you wait until Premiere had a chance to conform the clip before trying to play it? If not either try it in a new project or delete it from the project, rename it and import it again this time waiting for the conforming to be finished.

The second thing, and the more likely judging from your problem, is a video card driver issue. Go to the NVidia Web site and make sure you are using the current drivers, which might be more up to date than those from Windows Update. Then poke around in the driver utilities settings and make sure Open GL is enabled.

Martyn

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2009 9:18 PM   in reply to Ausdigital

Look here, follow the included links and specifically answer all 16 questions at the end of the Wiki article, if you did not resolve your issue:

Some suggestions

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2009 11:15 PM   in reply to Ausdigital

I believe CS4 requires OpenGL 2.0 or higher.  My guess is your card is just too old to run CS4, and that a newer one would resolve this issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2009 11:30 PM   in reply to Ausdigital

What version of Premiere are you running?

I just put Windows 7 on a spare partition here and installed PP 4.0. Things worked fine but when I applied the 4.1 update I started having the same problems as you in the video windows.

I had the same problems when I first installed Premiere on XP but an update to the video drivers solved the issue. My card, the Intel Mobile GM965 isn't a recommended one so I'm probably running Premiere out-of-spec and lucky to get anything. However, 4.1 worked find on XP but on Windows 7 (and maybe Vista) changed something that meant my set up was no longer good enough.

If you are running 4.1 and don't need the new features you might try uninstalling and then reinstalling 4.0 to see if that works before going for new hardware or a new PC.

Of course, a new PC would probably be best if money is not an object.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2009 5:06 AM   in reply to Ausdigital

When I set the audio to come thru my monitor speakers it works fine....If I switch it back to desktop audio the video freezes on playback to an external device...So try and switch the audio to external and see what happens....it works for me...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2009 7:40 AM   in reply to tucker07205

If I switch it back to desktop audio the video freezes on playback to an external device.

That is a known bug.  The only current solution seems to be disconnecting the external device, or sending audio through it as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2010 9:31 AM   in reply to Ausdigital

Did you ever get this solved?

I have the same problem. I use a dual monitor setup and have a Radeon X1650 card.

thanks

jason

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points