Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Where is clarity?

Oct 30, 2009 8:36 PM

I've used Photoshop for many years, but for several years now I've been using Photoshop only as a backend to Lightroom, mostly to use plugins, actually...  I recently got CS4 and am trying to learn about the new features.  Even CS2 had shadow/highlight, I've found vibrance.  But where is clarity?  I've done a search and apparently it can be found only in Camera RAW?  Can it really not be done in Photoshop?  In particular I wanted to apply negative clarity to see how it would look an image I'm working on.  Normally I would just wait until I go back to Lightroom to fine tune a picture, but that's really not the best way to work, I don't think.  In this case the picture will probably never be in Lightroom, certainly not at this moment.

Judy

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 30, 2009 8:45 PM   in reply to Casamagnolia-wSzxs8

Clarity is similar to the Contrast slider in Shadow/Highlight.

Are you saying you've replaced LR with CS4?  Otherwise, why not apply negative clarity to the image before exporting to Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2009 9:01 PM   in reply to Casamagnolia-wSzxs8

Casamagnolia wrote:

But where is clarity?  I've done a search and apparently it can be found only in Camera RAW?  Can it really not be done in Photoshop?

Nope...Clarity is a Camera Raw (and Lightroom) only function. as a result negative clarity can only be done in Camera Raw...as you've found out. Of course Camera Raw can work on JPEGs and flattened TIFF files...try that.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2009 11:49 PM   in reply to Casamagnolia-wSzxs8

you can use Unsharp Mask to simulate Clarity in Photoshop, just set a high radius and low amount values

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2009 8:31 AM   in reply to Casamagnolia-wSzxs8
    It looks like to get into Camera Raw with a jpg or tif I'd have to go through Bridge.

You can open a jpeg or tiff in Photoshop-hosted camera raw (without going through Bridge) - In Photoshop:  File > Open As.  Select Camera Raw in the Open As box at the bottom.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2009 9:15 AM   in reply to Casamagnolia-wSzxs8

I've told you already, Clarity in Photoshop is achieved using Unsharp Mask with a high Radius and low Amount settings

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2009 9:19 AM   in reply to Zeno Bokor

He wants negative clarity, Zeno, which the unsharp mask routine won't do.

When I find myself in a pickle needing to go back to RAW, I dupe the file, delete the layers and run it in RAW. Export it back to PS and open the unflattened layers and move them over, being sure they are in the same stacking as before.

Yeah, messy, otoh, you now have two files side by side to evaluate the results.

Of course, save it as a tiff.

Message was edited by: Hudechrome

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2009 9:24 AM   in reply to Hudechrome-sd9sPI

well then, duplicate layer, add Filter->Other->High Pass with a high Radius, Image->Adjustments->Invert and then set the blend mode of that layer to either Soft Light or Overlay

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2009 11:09 AM   in reply to Zeno Bokor

Show off!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2009 12:17 PM   in reply to Hudechrome-sd9sPI

you mean "blind man", don't you? i read the first post twice and somehow managed to ignore the "negative" part both times

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2009 12:26 PM   in reply to Zeno Bokor

Easily done, and at my age, almost guaranteed!

Ok, Blind Man it is. No bluffing now!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2009 5:08 PM   in reply to Casamagnolia-wSzxs8

Where is Clarity?

She left me for another photographer.

Definity negative in my estimation!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2009 12:29 AM   in reply to Casamagnolia-wSzxs8

Using High Pass you can get it both ways. You get positive Clarity with a normal High Pass layer and negative Clarity if you invert that layer. It's not as convenient as doing it in Camera Raw but it can be done.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2011 1:12 PM   in reply to Casamagnolia-wSzxs8

I'm trying to figure out where my clarity tool is in cs3 on mac. I've supposedly downloaded the update of at least 4.4.1 as I understand that ACR 4.0 did not have the clarity tool. What do I do after this download though? It is still nowhere to be found??

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2011 6:29 AM   in reply to Hudechrome-sd9sPI

Resurrecting an old thread here.

Hudechrome-sd9sPI, you said:

When I find myself in a pickle needing to go back to RAW, I dupe the file, delete the layers and run it in RAW. Export it back to PS and open the unflattened layers and move them over, being sure they are in the same stacking as before.

I'm too new to PS to really understand what you're saying here. Do you do File | Save As | RAW to get the file back into RAW format? I haven't been able to duplicate the process. I too want to be able to apply negative clarity-type adjustment after the fact, and since none of the solutions I've seen offered anywhere (where there wa a solution offered) don't seem to work for me (perhaps due to my lack of experience, therefore lack of understanding). Additional "Clarification" (sorry, the pun couldn't be helped) would be appreciated.

LDMartin1959

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2011 6:55 AM   in reply to LDMartin1959

Yeah, it is old!

Suppose you are working a file exported from RAW, and, after getting to a particular point, it becomes obvious that the RAW version could use revision, but you do not want to lose the layers. The way I do that is to make a copy of the current file with all the layers unflattened, then select the original and simply exit without saving. Now go back to RAW, make the changes, reopen that in PS and drag the layers from the layered version to the newly changed RAW.

BTW, you might also want both versions of the RAW file available as well. So before proceeding with the readjustment of the RAW file, duplicate that in ACR.

Basically, I do it this way to avoid too much clutter in PS. The RAW in ACR is always available as is, no matter what you did to the file in PS.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,496 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Nov 8, 2011 11:00 AM   in reply to Hudechrome

Actually, I think it's now possible to just open two copies of a raw file without going through a lot of gymnastics.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Nov 8, 2011 11:01 AM   in reply to Hudechrome

There is a script that allows to send à layer to camera raw : http://russellbrown.com/scripts.html

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2011 11:41 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Certainly.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2011 11:55 AM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

Yikes! Tiffs with layers=humongous files.

But I agree, it's a nice idea.

The part about setting the ppi to 240 is too strict. What I would want to do is match the PS file and ACR file the same. I run at 360 so now I reset everything to 240? His explanation should be: Set ACR and PS so that the ppi of the PS file and the ACR file are the same

Agreed? Or am I missing something? 240 ppi is a magic number?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2011 1:38 PM   in reply to Casamagnolia-wSzxs8

Hi.

It looks like to get into Camera Raw with a jpg or tif I'd have to go through Bridge. 

In your File Handling Preferences, File Compatibility,  you could tic "Prefer Adobe Camera Raw for JPG Files". At least JPGs would open directly in ACR. I got nothin for TIFFs or layers.

FWIW.

Peace,

Lee

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,496 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Nov 8, 2011 2:59 PM   in reply to arc fixer

Even if you don't have the settings per Lee's recommendation above, for the occasional open of JPEG or TIFF through Camera Raw, choose File - Open As, choose Camera Raw format, then select the JPEG or TIFF file you want to open, and voila!  It opens through Camera Raw.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points