Skip navigation
longstorey
Currently Being Moderated

Pixelated blurred video in PREmElem8

Oct 31, 2009 8:11 AM

I am new to preelm8 but have used videstudio9 for some time

I bring into a new PRE project a video clip from a canon legria fs21 (24 bits 720x576 16:9 25Frames/sec mpeg-2 video upper field first, file fomat PAL DVD), i set the project preset to Hard disk flash memory camcorder, widescreen 48kHz, widescreen PAL video (16:9 interlaced), DVD PAL, 25fps, 720hx576v UFF etc. This should be the correct preset for the files from the FS21, am I correct ?.

I then drop the video clip onto the timeline and play it in the monitor panel, it is blurred and pixelated and you can see this especially on the edges of anything that is moving, really quite poor. Interestingly if I play exactly the same clip from the ORGANIZE by just double clicking on it the video quality is very good why is there a difference?

Back in the EDITER i right click the monitor panel and change magnification to 100% it is terrible so i just put it back to FIT, saw some comments about his on the forum. I hit return to render it, this makes no difference (in fact it doesn't render, no red bar going to a greeen bar) and surely it shouldn't, if my project settings exactly match the clip then there is no need to render if I have done nothing except drop the raw clip onto the timeline am I correct in this assumption ? this is true in videstudio9 for these mpeg clips, even when you burn to DVD it only renders menus, if the clips are unaltered from their raw state on the time line they don't need to be rendered

If i follow the same process in videostudio 9 and play the clip in the editor the quality is fine !, Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong

Interestingly if I go to share and export the timeline with the PAL DVD widescreen preset but with field order altered to UFF (default is LFF and exporting with it set to this gives terrible quality predictably I guess) then the quality of the file when burn't to a DVD is the same as the same file burn't to a dvd using videstudio 9 when viewed on the TV, so the problem just seems to be a playback issue when in the editor as far as I can see

by compariosn if i import an HD file (robotica_720.wmv from ms web site), choose the correct project preset, dump it onto the time line and play it it is really good quality

the computer is toshiba sat pro intel core 2 duo, 2.2Ghz, 2Gb ram176Gb free disk space win xp pro sp3

any help would be much appreciated otherwise i guess it;s going to irritate me so much that it's $140 down the drain and back to VS9 which would be a pity as I like some other things in PRE    

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 31, 2009 8:42 AM   in reply to longstorey

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2009 8:43 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2009 3:33 AM   in reply to longstorey

Two things

Is the clip playing well outside of the Premiere Elements application?

What happens if you do not change the file extension from .mod to .mpg and import mod files directly? (I am not aware about sdcopy.exe, hope it does no other silent transcoding)

The problem does not seem to the project settings or frame ordering. If it were, the results would've been different (Red bar, continuously corrupt playback etc)

You could hold on to that copy of Premiere Elements because I am sure you are going to love it very soon like many others..

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points