Skip navigation
ScottRwn
Currently Being Moderated

CS4 Mac > Reconnect Footage > locks up?

Oct 31, 2009 5:14 PM

Greetings!

I rencently wiped my hard drive for a fresh install of my new CS4 Production Premium. The location of my media now sets in a different location. No problem! The media is still on my Mac.

When I load my old CS3 projects, it tells me X number of files are offline. No problem! I highlight my video clips > reconnect footage and it re-links all clips. No Problem! I highlight my other files (and I've done this in every possible order, psd, eps, ai, jpeg) and I do a search for the individual clip thats offline, and as I click OK it says XY number of files were found ... pinwheel. After Effects locks up! ??  I've even left the project clips offline, and Saved As CS4. Pinwheel if I reconnect footage.

I've tried this on ALL of my old CS3 projects! I've reversed the order in which offline clips I select first. Pinwheel.

What's going on??? Why won't After Effects reconnect my footage without locking up? I'm up-to-date 9.0.2.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 1, 2009 1:35 AM   in reply to ScottRwn

Please be more specific. You didn't tell us anything about your actual drive layout and where those files are stored, what operating system etc.. This could be anything from permission issues to some cached files still lingering to Spotlight doing something weird or Quicktime having a hold over certain file type associations. Your mention of Reconnect also confused the hell out of me, as that would refer to Premiere, not AE, so please try to use the correct AE technobabble next time.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2009 10:52 PM   in reply to ScottRwn

Ah, I see. Yes, of course. It should not lock up, though. Perhaps it was just taking forever to index a few hundred thousand files or so, starting in the wrong place based on the info stored in the project. If manually pointing AE to a folder fixes it, then that probably is good enough a solution for the time being. Let us know when anything else is up.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2009 11:27 AM   in reply to ScottRwn

Yes, if I manually loacate the file, then it WON'T lock up. If I perform a search for that file (in the After Effects Replace Footage window), it DOES. Strange.

In Apple's Final Cut Pro, the Search function for reconnecting media works quite well so I'm certain this is not a MacOS files system issue.

I've had this same thing happen to me in AE. I just figured it was a minor bug, something ugly between the MacOS Spotlight and Adobe? They're not getting along with each other. I gave up trying to figure it out and simply use your same workaround.

bogiesan

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points