Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Will AA 1.5 run on 32bit W7?

Nov 2, 2009 7:53 PM

As I have the opportunity to get the new OS at a very attractive price, it's under consideration. AA 1.5 runs well on XPsp3; does anyone know yet if it will run on W7? While W7 has a virtualization mode to emulate XP, further research shows my mobo setup may not support this feature. I'm still trying to learn the true compatibilities of that feature in W7....

TIA

Replies
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 3, 2009 3:23 AM   in reply to Rivergoat

Rivergoat wrote:

As I have the opportunity to get the new OS at a very attractive price, it's under consideration. AA 1.5 runs well on XPsp3; does anyone know yet if it will run on W7? While W7 has a virtualization mode to emulate XP, further research shows my mobo setup may not support this feature. I'm still trying to learn the true compatibilities of that feature in W7....

let me say at first that I don't know the answer - but what I was told about the XP compatibility mode is that it wasn't so much machine dependent but rather more so on the version of W7 you get. Or as it says on one site:

".... the XP Mode feature will only be available to those with the Professional, Ultimate or Enterprise versions of Windows 7."

But if that's true, then there's every indication that it damn well should work, isn't there? Mind you, I don't know if the foregoing is actually true - perhaps somebody could tell both of us?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 3, 2009 8:17 AM   in reply to Rivergoat

I have Audition 1.5 set up on Windows 7-64 bit and it seems to be running fine. I also have Audition 3.0 set up on my Windows 7-32 bit and that's also working fine.

I haven't tried it but it's my guess is that AA 1.5 should work well on Windows 7-32 bit.

I'd say go for it as Windows 7 is a very nice program, and if you can get a deal on it, go for it.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2009 8:24 PM   in reply to Rivergoat

I was about to ask the same question so I hope you are right, I have recently purchased a laptop which qualifies for a US$19.99 upgrade to Windows 7. I can if neccesary continue to run it on my XP based PC but the new laptop has much better resources and I would prefer to use it so I will be keeping my fingers crossed.

I note that a link tinyurl.com/no4xb7 takes you to the upgrade advisor which for some reason doesn't appear to be working for me.

Alan NZ

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2010 12:30 PM   in reply to Rivergoat

I just installed 32-bit Windows 7 Home Premium this week, upgrading from WinXP, and Adobe Audition 1.5 runs fine in 32-bit Windows 7.  I had to make one adjustment in Adobe's settings at Options>Device Properties in order for AA 1.5 to record properly through the soundcard.

These settings can be soundcard dependent, so if you are having an issue, the settings that work for me may not work for your gear.  I use an M-Audio Deltaphile 2496 soundcard, and it does have a Win7 driver available now.  Of course you want your soundcard installed and running with a driver in Win 7 before installing Audition.  After installing Audition, it played back opened files correctly but would not record new files. (Well, it would record them, but they would be silent.) I had to go to Options>Device Properties and set the Wave In tab to Line 1/2 M-Audio etc. Audition set it to Monitor M-Audio etc., which is the correct AA setting for this soundcard in WinXP, but it doesn't work with my card in Win7.  The Wave Out tab is also set to Line 1/2...  If you change a setting at Options>Device Properties, be sure the choice you want is listed as "1st" in the Order box, and be sure to check Use this device in Edit view, before clicking OK to close the box. Neither of those changes take effect unless you are careful to make them and then close and then reopen Audition.  Also look carefully there and understand that the Wave Out tab is different than the Wave In tab, and some soundcards probably do need different settings at each tab.  After doing this, recording through the soundcard worked for me.

A couple of other minor glitches.  Like others here, I have an upgrade edition of AA 1.5 that's a legacy of Adobe's acquisition of Syntrillium, and so I must install Cool Edit 2000, Adobe Audition 1.0 upgrade, and then Adobe Audition 1.5 upgrade, entering different registration keys for each one, to get up and running in 1.5.  I was a little nervous about whether Win7 would balk at installing such old software.  Ironically, the oldest program, Cool Edit 2000, installs without a hitch.  Windows 7 did object when I went to install both the Audition upgrades, popping a window which said that installation was being blocked because Audition uses a form of Windows Media something-or-other which is incompatible with Windows 7.  But when I closed that window, installation proceeded for both AA 1.0 and AA 1.5 and it all turned out fine.

The only other issue I've seen is that when I fire up Audition, Windows 7 says it has to drop back to Windows Classic; Aero is incompatible.  But the program works without resorting to XP Emulation mode found in Win 7 Pro.

Other threads here that I searched indicate that some people have had more issues trying to use AA 1.5 in 64-bit Win7.  That may require XP Emulation mode and a Professional or higher edition of Win7, and who knows how well emulation works anyway. I've seen other complaints with other software that it's draggy.

Also note from other threads that even what is at this posting the latest edition, Adobe Audition 3.0.1, is not certified for use with Win7, though user feedback is positive.  If you're determined to use Audition in 64-bit Win7 without trying XP Emulation mode (and therefore possibly needing a more expensive version of Win7, as emulation mode is not found in Win7 Home Premium), you will need to upgrade to AA 3.0+.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2011 12:49 PM   in reply to Mel Davis.

I'm running Audition in Win 7 64-bit with relatively no problem.

Installed soundcard with updated drivers first then Audition.

I cannot find the Upgrade to Audition 1.0

Does anybody know where I can get that? (1.1, 1.5)

thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2011 3:37 PM   in reply to dumdumalouwishes

I believe you're asking for an AA 1.5 update patch to run with AA 1.0 already installed, but as I recall, AA 1.5 was full version only and would not run with the AA 1.0 key; it needed a 1.5 key to run. If I'm correct about that, it wouldn't do you any good to get the AA 1.5 install file without a 1.5 key. It's not even legal for people who have bought and use upgrade editions to AA 3.0 to sell their AA 1.5 let alone share it.

There's a full AA 1.5 on eBay with key right now. It's always risky to buy software on eBay, however, so take care.

I moved on to upgrade to AA 3.0 over a year ago.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2011 10:19 PM   in reply to Mel Davis.

Well worth the upgrade price?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2011 9:26 AM   in reply to therealdobro

Yeah, I like AA 3.0 and feel the upgrade was worthwhile. At the same time I installed 3.0, I also redid my Windows 7 installation to go to 64-bit, not for AA but really for Photoshop CS5 which I was also adding at the time. But AA 3.0 has been great for me in 64-bit Win7. I haven't had any problems at all.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2011 9:35 AM   in reply to Mel Davis.

Neither have I - Win7 64-bit on a new machine likes Audition 3 in my case.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points