Skip navigation
Nimos1001
Currently Being Moderated

JSP and dreamweaver

Nov 3, 2009 3:15 AM

Hi was wondering if anyone can help me.

Have a website where each html file is constructed based on several different JSP files. Im not respondsable for the actual code, so not able to change it my self. My problem is that i would like to get the whole website into dreamweaver so i can manage it from there. However i dont really have that much experience with JSP files. And how to set them up correctly or whether dreamweaver is capable of compiling these it self or it needs to be done, through some other compiler.

Im probably what you would refer to as a design user in Dreamweaver, i know some programmering etc, but im interested in the visual part of the website, and just want to be able to work on it inside dreamweaver rather than eclipse.

The website is located on our own server, and have tried to download the folder where the website is, but for some reason it doesnt make use of the JSP files, unless im in live view.

So im not even sure if its possible, but if anyone have any information of how such site can be integerated into dreamweaver. Or if its even possible that would be a huge help.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 3, 2009 4:03 AM   in reply to Nimos1001

Just so you'll know, DW doesn't support JSP.  This means that it won't recognize your JSP code, and you will not be able to use DW to edit an JSP Server Behaviors.  So, unless you are an experienced JSP coder and can do this by hand, I think you are out of luck.  Even if DW supported JSP, though, trying to take on a JSP with limited knowledge of HTML and CSS (I'm interpreting your 'design user of Dreamweaver' to mean this), much less understanding of server scripting in general and JSP, I think is a completely dangerous proposition.

Sorry to have such bad news but I see a catastrophe looming if you continue with this project.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2009 4:50 AM   in reply to Nimos1001

Which version of DW are you using?

Maybe I should have said that DW's support for JSP is minimal and Adobe has announced that CS5 will no longer support JSP or ASP.Net.

That said, you can certainly open a JSP page, and edit the HTML parts with DW.  But I'm not sure whether DW will recognize any JSP-based file operations like include files....

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2009 5:13 AM   in reply to Nimos1001

To make "light" changes to the website.

You should be OK editing the HTML parts of JSP files.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2009 7:08 AM   in reply to Nimos1001

Hi

You can enable jsp support in CS4 by installing the extension - http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?event=extensionDetail& extid=1731022.

PZ

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points