Skip navigation
bevbruce
Currently Being Moderated

CS4 Upgrade and Previous Versions of Photoshop

Nov 6, 2009 9:07 AM

As a long-time Photoshop user, I have upgraded my versions of Photoshop over the years and currently have the CS4 Photoshop Upgrade loaded on my computer.  I have an older computer with limited hard drive space and am running out of room.  Is it necessary to keep all the previous versions of Photoshop on my computer's hard drive in order for the already-loaded on my computer CS4 Photoshop Upgrade to run?  In other words, can I remove the earlier versions (like Photoshop 4, Photoshop 6 Upgrade, Photoshop 7 Upgrade, and CS2 Photoshop Upgrade) and still have CS4 Photoshop Upgrade run ok?  I'm trying to clean up hard drive space and would like to make space by deleting the previous versions, but I don't want to mess up my CS4 Photoshop Upgrade if that program somehow ties into components from the previous upgrades.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 6, 2009 9:17 AM   in reply to bevbruce

You certainly don't need them. If the previous eligible version is left that's enough. And even that can be removed because the upgrade installer will ask you to temporoarily insert the eligible version  disk.

But I'd wait till CS4's safely installed to be safe.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2009 11:39 AM   in reply to bevbruce

Aha, now I see what you mean!

Each upgrade is actually a full version of PS, sitting in its own folder structure and not interdependent on previous versions.

So you can delete them all except CS4 if you wish.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2009 11:43 AM   in reply to John Joslin

Many people keep the previous version in case there is a feature they use that has been removed (like ImageReady went from CS2 and some plug-ins and scripts are no longer in CS4.)

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2009 6:37 AM   in reply to bevbruce

Be SURE to test any third party plug-ins and actions in CS-4 before getting rid of the version that does run them. Some don't work with 4.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points