Skip navigation
Sunday Morn
Currently Being Moderated

How to get Indesign to print 4-page signatures?

Nov 8, 2009 6:50 AM

I'm using the PrintBooklet feature of Indesign.

I'm using "2-up perfect bound".

All I want to do is: print "even pages only, reverse", then flip the paper, feed it back into the printer, and print "odd pages only, reverse"on the other side.  (In both cases, I will check ALL pages, as I want the program to go thru the whole book in doing that.) 

Problem:  I can't get the section in Print Settings to "un-grey" that "Even pages only, Odd pages only" stuff.

In other words, I have a small test booklet consisting (as one looks at the screen)  of 8 pages, page           1 (by itself on the screen)

...................pages 2 and 3 (facing each other on the screen)

...................pages 4 and 5 (facing each other on the screen)

...................pages 6 and 7 (facing each other on the screen)

..........and page 8 (by itself on the screen)

(Those are the logical page numbers - the physical page numbers, being 1,2,3, and 4 -  2 logical pages facing each other, but not as they face each other on the screen - instead, as I want them to print facing each other.)

So what I want to happen, is:

have the printer print ONLY logical pages 8 and 5 (on one piece of paper),

then logical pages 1 and 4 (on another  piece of paper)

(those were the "even pages only", in reverse order)

I'd take those physical pieces of paper, flip them over, put them back in the                                                                                                             printer, and have the printer print logical pages 6 and 7 on the back of 8 and 5,

then logical pages 2 and 3 (on the back of 1 and 4)

(those were the "odd pages only", in reverse order)

This makes what I call TWO 4-page (page referring in this case to logical page) signatures.  They can be folded and then what the reader will read is (beginning from the title page, which is logical page 1): 1, turn the page, 2 and 3, turn the page to see the back of the first 4-page signature (4), look over to the first page of the second 4-page signature and read 5, turn the page, read 6 and 7, then turn to the last page which is 8.

I could do this in Pagemaker 6.5, using the BuildBook feature.     

Thanx!

Sunday Morn

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 8, 2009 7:03 AM   in reply to Sunday Morn

Print Booklet won't do this directly. If you have a full version of Acrobat installed you can print to the Adobe PDF virtual printer, then do the manual duplexing printing from Acrobat.

If you don't have a full version of Acrobat, you can use a script to impose the file, then export to PDF and print from Reader.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2009 11:46 AM   in reply to Sunday Morn

Version isn't important as long as it's a full Acrobat, not just reader.

$88 would be a bargain, even for an upgrade. Be sure the product is legitimate and not an education version (unless you qualify for education licensing).

As I mentioned before you can use a script to impose, then EXPORT spreads, and print from reader.

http://pdsassoc.com/downloads/Buildbooklet.zip

http://products.carlsenenterprises.com/

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2009 12:26 PM   in reply to Sunday Morn

No skill is required to run a script that someone else has written. Just put it in the scripts folder and run it.

I've been using the first one for years, and I don't write scripts myself.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2009 4:48 AM   in reply to Sunday Morn

The sript works with ordinary facing pages documents set up in consecutive order, so if you have 8 pages, you need an 8-page doc set up as facing pages. Page 1 will appear by itself, 2-7 will be on 3 2-page spreads, and page 8 will be alone. You musthave a multiple of 4 pages.

When it is run, the script will make a new file with a copy of your pages. These pages will be shuffled into 2-page spreads in proper order for printing on your duplex printer or non-duplex printer if you flip the sheets manually. You can eihter print direct from ID or export the imposed doc to PDF, but in either case you must select the "spreads" option checkbox to get both halves of each spread to stay together.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2009 5:30 PM   in reply to Sunday Morn

How is this document set up? Page size and orientation, number of pages in each spread?

It sounds like you haven't got things set up correctly. Running the script should yield an eight-page file with four two-page spreads.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2009 5:38 PM   in reply to Sunday Morn

Sorry, I wasn't reading carefully enough. The script is working correctly. Pages 1 and 8 must be together for saddle stitching. You need to insert one signature insde the other and stitch with this script. The order you are proposing would be appropriate for perfect binding, which is a different scenario.

I don't know why the Carlsen linkk is not going to the right place, but it isn't. However, the script appears to be available here: http://www.brothersoft.com/booklet-ce-211859.html

I haven't used it, but it does support perfect binding, I believe.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2009 6:43 AM   in reply to Sunday Morn

That's a javascript, which is completely cross-platform. I don't know why it says Windows. True, the download file is in zip format, but it will unzip on Mac, too, and all the Mac resource fork components are there.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2009 7:21 PM   in reply to Sunday Morn

I've never tried the Carlsen script, so I only know what the author has said it will do. Not much help, I'm afraid. Can I ask though, why you would want to perfect bind two sheets?

And yes, the reason I steered you away from Print Booklet is that it doesn't handle ranges terribly well. I think you might be able to do it, though, now that I'm wracking my memory, by specifying 2-up consecutive and entering your ranges (whcih would be a real nightmare with a longer doc). Normally I tell people to use Print Booklet and specify Adobe PDF as the printer, then print from Acrobat one side at a time (or odds and evens), but you didn't have Arobat before, so you didn't have the PDF printer available. If you decide to keep Acrobat (you said you ordered it?), then that will probably be the easiest way to continue.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2009 6:59 AM   in reply to Sunday Morn

Mixed or not, the explanation is clear and makes sense. You perfect bind regardless of the number of pages. That's your workflow. Simple.

Did using Print Booklet and Acrobat solve the problem?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2009 6:48 AM   in reply to Sunday Morn

I'm glad you're making progress. Why do you need to re-open the Pagemaker file?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2009 3:59 AM   in reply to Sunday Morn

Perhaps I misunderstood. I thought you'd already opened the PM file in ID once, and wondered why you would need to do that again.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2009 9:35 AM   in reply to Sunday Morn

Was the pagemaker doc already imposed into printers spreads? How about page numbering -- ID would start on a left page it the first page number is even.

I'm going to have to go back to re-read the whole thread to see what you are trying to do, but you want to start out with the ID doc in consecutive (readers spread) order.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2009 9:40 AM   in reply to Sunday Morn

I've sent you a Private Message with instruction for how to send the file to me, if you want to do that, and I'll take a look at it and see if it makes more sense.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2009 4:46 AM   in reply to Sunday Morn

When you log onto the web page you should see a button in the bar next to your name called "your stuff" and it should be orange because you have a message from me already. Click it and go to Private Messages. I've sent you an email address in plain language. If you can't figure out how to translate the punctuation, post back here.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2009 11:07 AM   in reply to Sunday Morn

I've been looking at your files and I'm 99% convinced that the problems stem mostly from the fact that you are opening the imposed version. WHY ID is rearrangeing the first 4 linked frames I don't know, but I chalk it up to Conversion can be anything from near perfect to awful. If that's the only place where order is out of synch (I didn't read the whole book to check the later sections, but spot checking appeared to be OK), you could just drag the frames onto the correct pages.

I think that in the long run you should consider doing it right, though, which means rebuilding the file as letter-half facing pages in readers spreads. You can do this by putting your cursor anywhere in the story and choosing File > Export... and export as tagged text. As long as you haven't made an actual selection, you will get the entire story, which can then be Placed into a new facing pages document.

This will allow you to clean it up (and frankly, the typesetting needs A LOT of cleanup -- empty paragraphs used for spacing, leading spaces instead of paragraph indents, multiple spaces after punctuation, etc. A lot of that can be cleaned up using the find/change by list script and editing styles. Adding a few styles to push some headings into the next frame would be a good idea too) and keep your sanity while you edit, and then you can make your imposed file.

I'd break it apart into sections, too, at logical breaks, rather than having one continuous threaded story. That will involve some cutting and pasting, and fancy footwork (not really hard) that is described among other places at this link: http://www.listsearch.com/InDesign/Thread/index.lasso?16825#131054. I went looking for a script that does this, but didn't find one, so if any onf you lurkers have one, please fell free to post it.

Peter

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2009 12:09 PM   in reply to Sunday Morn

So it sounds like all is well, now.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status