Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

spellcheck not working

Nov 10, 2009 6:36 AM

Hi all. I'm under the gun to change 150+ documents, all created in InDesign, from a Canadian-language spelling to US. I have tested one document and found that the US language dictionary (US, US legal tried) is finding some grammar errors (so it is doing something correctly) but is not catching any spelling errors (e.g. "humour" in Canada versus "humor" in the US). I have tried it on small passages of text, stories, document, every possibility I can think of. I am using updated version CS4 6.0.4. I am urgently needing to know what is going wrong and how I might get this to work, any suggestions please?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 10, 2009 6:53 AM   in reply to docstw

Have you assigned US English to the text?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2009 7:38 AM   in reply to docstw

The bad news is that humour is a valid spelling for "vitreous humour" and similar terms even in US English, so you may need to do some find/change operations. I wouldn't rely on Spell Check to catch everything.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2009 8:08 AM   in reply to docstw

Where did you change the language? The language in your prefs has no effect. You have to change in the character panel or the paragraph styles.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2009 8:17 AM   in reply to docstw

In order to select the dictionary you must actually select the text and assign the new dictionary from the language drop down. For a longer document you could use a GREP find change query to change the language. Just search for .+ and set the find formatting to English:Canadian under advanced character formatting and set the change formatting to whatever you want to use. Leave the change to field blank.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2009 8:31 AM   in reply to docstw

How many words (and what are they) seem to be a problem?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2009 8:38 AM   in reply to docstw

I tried a few of the words you listed above. Armour is flagged, but counsellor and centre seem to be accepted alternate spellings in the US dictionary. I think you're going to need to d a find/change by list operation (which requires a script, and I don't write them).

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2009 8:43 AM   in reply to docstw

Hmm.

My copy if CS4 is flagging colour with the English: USA dictionary (and legal dictionary, too). If yours is not, might be worth trying a prefs replacement.

But the cript is going to be the long-term solution.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points