Hi all. I'm under the gun to change 150+ documents, all created in InDesign, from a Canadian-language spelling to US. I have tested one document and found that the US language dictionary (US, US legal tried) is finding some grammar errors (so it is doing something correctly) but is not catching any spelling errors (e.g. "humour" in Canada versus "humor" in the US). I have tried it on small passages of text, stories, document, every possibility I can think of. I am using updated version CS4 6.0.4. I am urgently needing to know what is going wrong and how I might get this to work, any suggestions please?
The bad news is that humour is a valid spelling for "vitreous humour" and similar terms even in US English, so you may need to do some find/change operations. I wouldn't rely on Spell Check to catch everything.
Thank you, yes I have. I've tried both English:USA and English: Canada to see if it made some kind of difference, checked my user dictionary (to ensure I had not added these words in the past) and still it does not work.
Thanks, I understand and agree. However, I've tried several test documents with words like "acknowledgment/acknowledgement, armor/armour, candor, center/centre, color/colour,counselor/counsellor and numerous other words that I know are spelled differently in Canadian/British than US and it has not caught a single one of them. They are not in my user dictionary, I have all options for checking selected (e.g. mispelling), and nothing is being caught. I might try reloading the dictionaries from the source disk.
The good news is that the spellcheck catches words that are clearly wrong ("asweinfwel" as an example). So it's doing something. I'll keep at it.
In order to select the dictionary you must actually select the text and assign the new dictionary from the language drop down. For a longer document you could use a GREP find change query to change the language. Just search for .+ and set the find formatting to English:Canadian under advanced character formatting and set the change formatting to whatever you want to use. Leave the change to field blank.
Tried that as well (not your latter suggestion, but the first to select the text). I know the text is selected, I've tried it that way also in story editor, multiple ways of experimenting with it actually, and nothing. However, in the following list of words I just tried, one was flagged as incorrect (in caps): acknowledgement/acknolwedgment, ARMOUR/armor, candour/candor, centre/center, colour/color, counsellor/counselor. I would have expected, at minimum, for "colour" and "counsellor" to be flagged as incorrect in the US language dictionary. It only stopped on 'armour" (recommending 'armor').
I will be sending a document to a local print shop I work with, who use the program, and ask them to try for me. If they encounter the same problem, it's not me. If they don't, I'm obviously doing something wrong. However, in years past (I upgraded a few months back) this was never an issue for me. I thought perhaps it was a CS4 bug. Maybe just my own personal CS4 bug .
Thx for the assistance.
I tried a few of the words you listed above. Armour is flagged, but counsellor and centre seem to be accepted alternate spellings in the US dictionary. I think you're going to need to d a find/change by list operation (which requires a script, and I don't write them).
I don't know which exact words might be in the documents, although I do know the documents are lengthy. I read through one document after a spellcheck turned up nothing and I, myself, identified two words needing to be changed. Regardless, my test words did not work either (except for the words 'armour' and letters "asdfsas" in the following list, which it identified as being mispelled.
The test words I tried were:
My copy if CS4 is flagging colour with the English: USA dictionary (and legal dictionary, too). If yours is not, might be worth trying a prefs replacement.
But the cript is going to be the long-term solution.
Yup, I think you're right. I've deleted my user dictionary (to be certain, but these words were not in it) and I've tried another word that is typically different in spelling ("behaviour" and "behavior") that it did catch. So it's working, just missing certain words that must be common to both language dictionaries (US and CAN English). I just happened to have picked a dozen words that were pretty much ignored by the spellcheck (not ignored, they were detected but deemed correct in both US and CAN).
As per your suggestion (not the script, I'm not that smart with this program) I'll flag certain key words and search/replace them.
Thx. I have much work to do. Bye.