• EspaƱol
      • FranƧais
      • PortuguĆŖs
  • ę—„ęœ¬čŖžć‚³ćƒŸćƒ„ćƒ‹ćƒ†ć‚£
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CF Clustering Techniques success/failure?

Nov 10, 2009 Nov 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My group is currently looking into restructuring our current CF Archetichture to utilize the clustering technique which is documented here...

http://www.adobe.com/products/jrun/whitepapers/pdf/jr4_clustering_wp.pdf

We are basically trying to find out if anyone has ever  employed such an approach (or something similar) and if so was it indeed successful?

Any suggestions,comments or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I have attached a diagram which should give you a quick idea of exactly what we are looking to implement.

Thanks

Mike

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Nov 18, 2009 Nov 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tried it - yes,

successful - yes,

similar approach -yes

make sure u address every error/warning issue in the logs before going live.

make sure u know ur stick sessions and what u want to do

make sure ur apps know about cluster environments (esp re above point)

make sure u can identify which node ran the piece of code (even on production).

seeing as how it is jrun, don't use the jmc to do anything (very buggy) - similarly cf8/9 cfadmin thingo does it a bit weird, best to do it by hand; at least u then know where everything is.

also, determine if u want ur clusters to share/ not share any objects on a particular server (ie are they completely independent or what)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2009 Nov 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ditto to all of the above.

We've been running CF on JRun since 2003 in distributed mode with IIS/NLB, and clustered

for CF failover.  Works great.  Over 70 instances of CF with 60 of those clustered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 23, 2009 Nov 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both for the reply. I just want to clarify...

You have both successfully isolated the webservers from appservers  on there own dedicated machines?

Im thinking I may have been a little vauge and just want to be sure im on the same page as you two.

Thanks Again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 25, 2009 Nov 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, I've done both.

Cheap tactical solution for 1 server + few instances of CF running.

Also scalable solution for 2 webservers + 4 (or 8 can't remember) cf servers

forgot to add also, if u use cfforms, i'd recommend doing an alias thru cfadmin and web server to a "copy /paste" of the cfide/administration/scripts directory as it can get messy now with the ajax stuff which tends to have bugs/ updates more frequently, then u will know where that code base is (ie making sure u just have one code base for you applications) - otherwise u'll end up with difficulty diagnosing issues.

also, seriously recommend only running schedules from 1 instance unless you have a nice db managing with schedule x is running or not, else u'll end up have 1 schedule running several times over.

need i say that cfide should not be accessible thru the web server?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2009 Dec 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bah1234ir , which version of CF were you abled to create an environment where CF was sitting on its own servers, separated from IIS?

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 03, 2009 Dec 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please help clear somethig up for me.

1. Where did you install the JRun Web Connector ( On the Webserver or the Appserver)

2. If it was installed on the webserver, how did you install just the connector without installing JRUN 4 on the webserver.

Is there an install specifically for the connector component? It seems redundant to be required to install JRun on both the Webserver and the Appserver.

3. How did you get the webconfig tool to recognize the remote webserver?

When I run the Web Server Comnfig tool on the WebServer I cannot get it to recognize my application server.

If you were to just one of the qurestions above i would be satisfied.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 06, 2009 Dec 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mikeg518
2 options:
1) you have a webserver with no coldfusion, then reverse proxy your requests to another cf server

2) extract the wsconfig files onto the front facing iis webserver (this is ur question 1) and create connectors to the secondary coldfusion servers by adding a handler the the web server for .cfm etc handled by *.dll for iis or the .so one for apache (answers question 2) and bind using the .store and .ini file extracted out of the wsconfig (answers question 3).

seffy, this can be done in 6,7,8,9

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 08, 2009 Dec 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very good info your providing, its much appreciated.

Please tell me where you are extracting the front facing wsconfig files to on the remote instance of IIS.

Im not understanding where i should be placing the files being that there is no existing JRUN folder structure ob the webserver.

In the meantime, I did attempt to map the CF specific ISAPI extentions to the remote cf server by referencing their location using a mapped drive.(see attachment)

It does not like this, do you know of a workaround????

Thanks Again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 10, 2009 Dec 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

extract wsconfig local to remote iis installation drive

can't tell why it didn't like it; the picture doesn't give any log, is iis installed on b:? is this the remote iis server?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 19, 2010 Jan 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far I have successfully made the connection between my IIS webserver and the Remote JRun Cluster.

I've created and deployed an ear file of my test application to the following directory....

{jrun.rootdir}/servers/{serverName}/SERVER-INF/Cluster

From what I've read so far, by deploying the ear file to just one of the servers in the cluster JRun is smart enough to pick up on that and handle the deployment to the other server(s) within the cluster.

Unfortunately im getting the following error when trying to pull up my test application ...

JRUN Servelet error: 500 :There is no web application configured to service your request.

Im pretty confident that the web server is distributing the requests between the two clustered servrs evenly
being that i see this error popping up in the logs of each server.

Any idea as to what may be going on with my ear file/deployment?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always do a manual deploy of the EAR to the {jrun.rootdir}/servers// folder of each instance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

After having no luck I pretty much deleted everything and have started over

Iā€™m trying to deploy a simple application across my cluster but Iā€™m unsure exactly how this should be done.

I have a simple web application that queries a database and returns a resulting recordset.

I have created a WAR file for my application and placed it within {JRun-root}\servers\{serverName}.

It looks like thisā€¦

JRun4/servers/Mars/RedBk-war/

After rebooting the server I can see through the JMC that the war file was deployed to the Buddy server in the corresponding location.

Iā€™m curious ā€¦.What us the correct way to reference the application within the remote IIS instance?

Currently I have it pointing to the application war directory of one of the CF instances where I figured JRun would be smart enough to pick up on the distribution of requests between the two servers in my cluster.

From what I gather all requests are going straight to the instance that I specified within IIS.

Is this not the corret location to be parking the WAR?  Does it need to be included within an EAR for it to work properly?

Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation