• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I maintain image resolution after resizing the image?

Nov 13, 2009 Nov 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have FrameMaker 9 and have updated it with 9.0.1, 9.0.2 and the 9.0.3 patch.

I can take screenshots at 300 dpi and yet when I import by reference into my Frame doc, the images come in very small. So I have to resize them. But then theay don't maintain the resolution. I have used jpg and pngs.

I have gone into Photoshop and made sure the images the correct size and resolution, but they import into Frame really small.

It seems to me that this didn't happen in prior FrameMaker iterations. Am I doing something wrong?

Secondly, if I am "single sourcing" don't I want to use the high resolution images in Frame files even if I'm going to convert with RoboHelp later?

Thank you!!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you perhaps mixing device units between your screen captures and print? Typically, a Windows screen resolution is only 96ppi (pixels per inch, not dpi = dots per inch). In most screen capture applications, the resulting image file will typically have each pixel of the screen mapped to a storage element in the file. When FM reads the image file, it maps the storage elements to dpi, dots per inch. So your screen capture at 300dpi in FM shrinks by roughly a factor of three in dimension when laid out on the page.

Try using the 96 dpi setting in FM for you screenshots. Also, never use jpg format anything other than photographic images. It throws away data and gives you artifacts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my humble opinion, I think Arnis is drawing a too fine line between pixels per inch and dots per inch. I believe the distinction is relevant only  in the print world where dots per inch refers to the resolution of the halftone screen.

For the purposes of FrameMaker and Photoshop, pixels per inch and dots per inch are the same.

When you import a bitmapped image, say a jpeg, into FrameMaker, FrameMaker should pop up a dialog box asking you to set the dpi. If the dpi of the image is 300 dpi, which you set in Photoshop, then you should select 300, or enter it, in the dialog box. FrameMaker should then size the image the same as in Photoshop.

I DO agree with Arnis that you should save screen shots as GIF or TIFF, not JPEG. With GIF, you can usually index the color and get a smaller file size. On the other hand, I have noticed that Photoshop's maximum quality setting for jpeg is sometimes OK for screen shots; look at areas of solid color around text for halos. If the halos exist, use gif instead of jpeg.

Van

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 16, 2009 Nov 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the dpi of the image is 300 dpi, which you set in Photoshop, then you should select 300, or enter it, in the dialog box. FrameMaker should then size the image the same as in Photoshop.

This is the problem. It does NOT come in the same size. I'm not sure what to do about that.

Also, what about the single sourcing question. Do I have to have high res screenshots AND 96 dpi screenshots? (This may be a question for the TCS forum.)

THANKS!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 16, 2009 Nov 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the size that you set the screenshot to in Photoshop (both pixel count and physical)?

What is the size when imported into FM?

Note: FM only looks at the pixel counts wheh importing the graphics and then applies the user specified import scaling (dpi) to make the pixels fit the page layout. FM ignores any dpi (but does present this is the default option) or physical size settings in image files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 17, 2009 Nov 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Arnis Gubins wrote:

Note: FM only looks at the pixel counts wheh importing the graphics and then applies the user specified import scaling (dpi) to make the pixels fit the page layout. FM ignores any dpi (but does present this is the default option) or physical size settings in image files.

One option not yet mentioned: Although it's quite unusual, you could save your screenshots with a 300ppi setting as EPS. In this case FM completely ignores any pixel settings, but places the graphic at the specified size. I do this with CMYK graphics, which didn't work as TIFF in earlier FM versions.

OTOH, the dpi/ppi settings in the FM import dialog should work, anyway...

Bernd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 17, 2009 Nov 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

(In this post I use dpi and ppi interchangeably.)

Ignore resolution for now. Think of it this way: regardless of the actual resolution on your monitor or the resolution your Operating System randomly assigns, you actually capture pixels and color. That's it.

So, imagine you have 100 pixel by 100 pixel square.

Make that square 1 pixel per inch. Now you have a 100x100 inch image.

Make that square 96 pixels per inch. Now you have a square that's just about 1x1 inches.

Make that square 300 pixels per inch. Now you have a square that's about 0.33 inch by 0.33 inch.

This is what you are seeing in FrameMaker. Import an image and set it to 96 ppi, then you'll get physical dimensions roughly equal to those you see in Windows.

Import that same image in FrameMaker  and set it to 300 pixels per inch and the image will be roughly 1/3  the size as it was on screen.

In Photoshop, while changing resolution, play around with View > Actual pixels and View > Print Size. Turn on and off Resample Image.

About resolutions you need, that really depends on your output.However, 96 ppi screen captures will look fine onscreen and should look fine from a digital or offset press. But, before you commit to printing 10,000 copies of the document, have a test copy run "from the output device" (not some low-res test printer).

Oh, and avoid JPEGs for screen captures.

Cheers,

Sean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines