Skip navigation
newtoedit
Currently Being Moderated

Rotate Video in Premiere Elements 8

Nov 16, 2009 6:23 PM

Rotate Video in Premiere Elements 8

Hello there, I’m new to this so bare with me.
I took video with my Canon Powershot SD550. The video is shot in NTSC 640 x 480. I want to rotate the video 90 degrees.

So I go into Premiere Elements, add the video and select rotate 90degs under motion. The video rotates as expected. The issue is the video is now taller in the vertical respect then the black window (I don’t know what this is called) behind the video and when I export the video it is essentially cropped on the top and bottom.

So I tried to scale the rotated video down to fit the black window, export it, but the quality of the video is now shot.

Is there anyway to rotate the video and keep the quality without it being cropped?
If you need more info please let me know.

Thank You.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 16, 2009 7:53 PM   in reply to newtoedit

Unfortunately, you have done what needs to be done, and once you Scale the footage, effectively Cropping part of it, but filling the frame. As you note, the quality does suffer. As Video is horizontal, the lesson is to always shoot with the still camera in the horizontal position.

It is far easier to Rotate 180 degrees, than it is to Rotate 90 degrees, because of the Aspect Ratio issue.

Sorry to bear the bad news.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2009 8:25 PM   in reply to newtoedit
    you cannot set a custom frame size for video?  You more or less have to make the video fit the frame, which is defined when setting up the project?

Basically, that is correct. In PrPro, one can set up a Desktop Project/Sequence, and choose pretty much whatever one wants. One could set up a 480 x 620 Project/Sequence. However, think about the display devices. They are all horizontal: TV's, movie theaters, computer monitors, iPods, etc.. They are all horizontal, so with a vertical Project, you get black bars on the sides.

It's pretty much the same, if one wishes to add a vertical slide to a Video Project. They can Crop to fill the Frame, they can not Crop and leave the black bars or they can create a background for the full Frame Size, and place the vertical image into that. It is all about the math of Aspect Ratios.

Is there anyway to change the frame size once the project has been started?

In PrE, no. In PrPro CS4.x, you can create a new Sequence (think of these like mini-Projects inside of a master Project), and Import the odd footage into it. Still, the above discussion on Aspect Ratio will apply.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2009 8:56 PM   in reply to newtoedit

newtoedit

I take it you did not read my responses to these same questions that you posed at another forum.

If nothing else, I took the time to do the gspot check for your video that might have assisted you even if the other suggestions did not serve your purposes.

Be that as it may, I am glad that you have your issue resolved and continued success.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2009 7:16 AM   in reply to newtoedit

Thank you for taking the time to research your situation and for reporting on your workflow.

It seems that PrE 8 has an MJPEG CODEC, while PrPro does not - yet. Because of the alignment of Adobe and MainConcept, I would expect to see this added soon - CS5?

Appreciated,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points