Skip navigation
trianita
Currently Being Moderated

Preserve image dimensions

Nov 17, 2009 11:51 AM

Hi I am about to do my ACE exam for ID

So i have been studying away - and am not happy with the 'preseve image dimension' option

Here is a practice question from the adobe site (with supplied answer)

4.1 Given a scenario, determine the best settings for choosing and placing an image

You want to replace an image from a selected frame. The new image is larger than the original
image. You want the new image to be imported at the same scaling percentage as the original.
What should you do?

A. hold down Shift as you click the Relink button in the Links panel
B. hold down Option/Alt as you click the Update button in the Links panel
C. before replacing the image, deselect Preserve Image Dimensions When Relinking in the
File Handling pane of the Preferences dialog box
D. before replacing the image, select Preserve Image Dimensions When Relinking in the File
Handling pane of the Preferences dialog box

Correct answer: C

BUT it says this in the help file

Choose how relinked graphics are scaled

When you relink to replace one graphic with a different source file, you can keep the image dimensions of the file that’s being replaced, or you can display the incoming file in its actual dimensions.

1. Choose Edit > Preferences > File Handling (Windows) or InDesign > Preferences > File Handling (Mac OS).

2. Choose Preserve Image Dimensions When Relinking if you want images to appear at the same size as the images they’re replacing. Deselect this option to have relinked images appear at their actual size

Is this a contradiction or am i being thick

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 17, 2009 11:59 AM   in reply to trianita

I'd say the help file is correct, and the person who typed up the practice question got it backwards. Can hardly blame them. Image dimensions and scaling percentage are two different things, but I believe the help excerpt accurately portrays the behavior.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2009 12:24 PM   in reply to trianita

I would agree that the correct answer is C, and further, I'd say the help file is incorrect (and probably should be reported to Bob Bringhurst). The behaviors you should see are either maintaining the image dimensions (NOT scaling percentage) or maintaining the scaling percentage that has been applied in the frame. If you try it you'll see that's how it actually works.

The only time an image would be placed at 100% during a re-link is if the one it is repalcing is also at 100%.

Peter

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2009 1:30 PM   in reply to trianita

80 and 80.4 are pretty close. I wonder if the difference might be due to a resolution issue that requires an adjustment to get a full pixel, though .4 mm is pretty big in that respect. Are you patched to 6.0.4?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2009 3:53 PM   in reply to trianita

You marked my response as correct. Does that mean you updated to 6.0.4 and things are working as they should?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2009 6:33 AM   in reply to trianita

Did you scale the first image in your second experiment? The new one should come in at the same SCALE, so if you scaled the original to 50% the repalcement should also be at 50% of its actual size.

I've just done this test again for the second time to reconfirm that this is the way it works. You might want to try it for yourself. Place an image at 100% for reference, then make two copies, one at an enlarged scale and one at a reduced scale. Relink all three to the same new image and check the scaling percentages. They should be the same as the original images when "Preserve Image Dimensions When Relinking" is not selected.

You should see the same behavior if you select the frame and choose Place instead of relinking.

Peter

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2009 10:33 AM   in reply to trianita

trianita wrote:

When I replace the three images with the same file, they all stay exactly as they were regardless of whether preserve image dimensions is on or off

I don't understand what you mean...

What I have noticed is that if I replace one image with another

with preserve dimensions on the new image has the same width as the the replaced one

with it off the new image comes in with he same scaling as the replaced one had

Right, that's what's supposed to happen, and it NOT what the help says.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2009 5:21 PM   in reply to trianita

My eps image was at 100%. I had the Preserve Image Dimensions checked on. I was given a new eps with a minor change. I assumed the relinking would also be at 100%. But in came in at 105%. If the Preserve Image is on then whether I put my original at 95% or 100% that is what my relinked image should also come in at. But it did not. Does any one know what is going on. I have had this happen a few other times since I have been using InDesign CS4.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2009 5:36 PM   in reply to katlynnd

Preserve Dimensions does exactly that. The new image wil be as close as possible in size on the page as the old one was. This is not the same as preserving the scale. if you replace a 2" wid image with one that is only 1" wide, it will be scaled 200% to 2"

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2012 2:25 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

I do not know why this has appeared in my history file nothing to do with me

-Dan Dare

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2012 2:42 PM   in reply to Dan Dare

Appeared in your history how? this is a really old thread that hasn't been active, so it's probably a glitch inthe forum software and nothing we'll be able to fix easily. Is it causing you some sort of problem?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2013 1:42 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

No problem at all, just thought it might be the start of one.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points