Skip navigation
Benjroux
Currently Being Moderated

Rh 8: HHC file in HTML or XML?

Nov 26, 2009 3:19 AM

Hello,

Is there a way of getting the HHC file in HTML rather that in XML? I was using Rh X5 before and the creation of the HHC file was done in HTML but with version 8 it seems I can only have it in XML.

Anyone?

Thanks in advance

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 26, 2009 5:08 AM   in reply to Benjroux

RH8 is designed to work with XML files for things like this so that's the way it is. Why is it an issue as it is not a file you touch directly?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Follow me @petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2009 11:09 AM   in reply to Benjroux

Well for sure the HHC is XML and cannot be HTML.

I guess you have looked at importing the DOCs into FM and that doesn't work for some reason. (I'm not a FM user)

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Follow me @petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2009 12:08 PM   in reply to Benjroux

After you convert the project, compile it into HTML Help and use HTML Help Workshop to open the resulting .chm file and extract the .hhc file from it. Although ARH8 stores the .hhc file as XML, HTML Help needs the original HTML-ish format of the .hhc file, and this is naturally what gets compiled into it.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2011 1:15 PM   in reply to Benjroux

I am resurrecting this old thread.

I am wondering if anyone was able to get an HTML version of the Rh8 HHC file?

I'm new to Rh, and in a similar situation to the original poster.  The software I document as coded it's own help system, that only pulls in the .hhc, .htm, and .gif files from the HTML help. The help hasn't been generated in 4 years (! That's why they hired me!). Now I'm discovering that the software is looking for HTML version of the toc.hhc, and the help system doesn't work with the newer XML version of toc.hhc.

I am creating HTML help output, but not using the compiled .chm, only some of the files that get generated.

Thank you!

Julie

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2011 8:31 PM   in reply to help4_MDs

You can first generate HTML Help output(.CHM file). Then decompile the CHM file to get the HHC file in old HTML format.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points