Skip navigation
bickus2
Currently Being Moderated

PDF files are unreadable

Nov 30, 2009 8:55 PM

I am currently using Adobe Reader 9.2 on a windows xp system.  For many years I had no trouble with Adobe Reader.

Currently many pdf files are completely unreadable, with some headers appearing normally, but most sections filled with garbage - random appearing ASCII characters.  You can see this in the attached jpg file.

Oddly enough, if I copy part of the garbage text from Adobe Reader and paste it onto a text reader like Notepad, the text comes out perfectly readable.  Also, pdf documents that are produced in a more photographic (non character) form are perfectly readable.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled adobe Reader twice with no change in program behavior.  I assume that I have a mysterious font conflict, but I can't figure it out.

What is going on?

Attachments:

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 1, 2009 2:00 PM   in reply to bickus2

Open the pdf file in a text editor, report what is says. Perhaps the files are getting corrupt before they get to you.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 15, 2009 9:57 AM   in reply to bickus2

May I ask what "pdf document" lead you to the fonts to install?  I am facing a similar issue with "Times-Bold" font missing so AR 9.2 won't read it, but I can open up in Paint Shop Pro and it reads it fine, or I can copy and paste into Word or email and it is fine.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points