Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Illustrator CS4 Crash on Startup

Dec 1, 2009 4:21 AM

Hello

I am Very Very Very tired to Adobe Products... I am very tired...

My iiiustrator worked Good... But one mornnig it have problem... (Crash on Startup) and very fastly Exiting from program !!!

i Reinstalled 6 Time But ..........................this work is ineffective !

I need help ....thanks to everybody

My Email : mohsen.moradnezhadi@gmail.com

thanks thanks thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 1, 2009 7:56 AM   in reply to Mohsenw700

Mohsen,

It may be worth trying to Move the folder with Illy closed to reset the preferences. That is not (always) done even when reinstalling.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2009 9:55 AM   in reply to Mohsenw700

Mohsen,

When it is not something in the Adobe Illustrator CS4 Settings folder, it may be (with tests): 

1. Corrupt font(s): you may move all fonts out of the Windows fonts folder (and move them back in); 

2. Firewall interference (especially if more than one is running (XP SP2 adds one if activated)): you may turn them off (and on again);

3. Some versions of Acrobat generate many temp files. Too many (64K) causes the problem: you may search and destroy Temp files; 

4. Some other inconsistency caused by Adobe Acrobat/Reader: you may try uninstalling and reinstalling (a newer version).

5. Incompatible/old printer definition file for the default printer: you may upgrade the driver, change the default, or set the PostScript driver/PDF to default;

6. Using a US/English version of Illustrator with Windows set to a different language: you may enter Control Panel>Regional and Language Setteings and change to English (and change back).

7. Quicktime/iTunes: uninstall Quicktime and make sure the Quicktime folder is deleted in the Program Files folder; and/or uninstall iTunes.

If neither of these possible solutions work, have you made any (other) changes to the PC between succes and failure? New software loaded?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2009 6:14 AM   in reply to Mohsenw700

Mohsen,

I am still with XP; I hope it is the same in 7.

If you click Start, you should be able to click Control Panel. In there, there should be a globe icon with the name Regional & Language Settings; DoubleClicking that should bring you to the Regional Options which has a dropdown list where you can pick English; you can always pick to restore whatever you have now.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2009 10:39 AM   in reply to Mohsenw700

Well you said it worked good before.. if lang is the prob. then it shouldnt have worked at all... i am no expert.. i shall try to help on basis of my experience... i was once in the same situation but it was adobe reader instead... i had a hard time looking for the sulution but finally i am now running reader 8 (one version below). But a few things might help. Does it give any error like runtime error or something or it simply just 'goes off'? Did you updated your OS or antivirus recently maybe a new windows service pack or a new antivirus which would block the startup process... did you try to restore your windows to the time and settings when it worked correctly??

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2009 12:32 PM   in reply to Mohsenw700

Mohsen,

I doubt whether it is a language issue between GB and US English. I believe the only difference is in spelling.

Reinstalling Acrobat/Reader was suggestion 4) in post #3. Many strangenesses have been cured by it.

I have been working on the list for a long time; every now and again, a new suggestion is added.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2009 1:20 PM   in reply to Mohsenw700

I have a friend with the same problem, and the only solution to fixed was formatting the PC and reinstalling windows, its a hard solution but it works...warrantee

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2009 3:50 AM   in reply to Mohsenw700

Mohsen,

i try for all solution ..but so far problem not solve

This seems to be an extremely tough one.

The initial information, that the issue arose suddenly, at startup of the PC, seemed to indicate corruption of the preferences, which are saved during closedown of Illy, probably owing to a Windows error.

Hence the first suggestion to Move the folder

I wonder whether Windows 7 has the same issue as has Vista, namely that you sometimes have to restart the PC after moving the folder to get it to work.

In connexion with a recent change of anti virus protection, I was advised to run CCleaner inbetween.

Maybe it is worth trying CCleaner after moving the folder and restarting the PC, before restarting Illy.

Or, if it comes to that, between uninstallation and reinstallation of Illy, still after restarting the PC.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2009 3:50 AM   in reply to Mohsenw700

Mohsen,

you can write for me very simply ...i am a pro user...

When it comes to changing things in Windows, I am not. The overly detailed account in post #6 was merely a reflexion of my own uncertainty concerning Windows, and other MS applications, apart from Worst which is just that.

Two weeks ago I needed to change the extension of files from JSX to JS to get the JET scripts to work, http://forums.adobe.com/message/2415618#2415618. It took me quite a while to get the extensions displayed so they could be renamed, in XP. And now I cannot even remember how I did it.

I believe the strangenesses of different applications may appear more or less strange, depending on how they fit your own.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2009 4:17 AM   in reply to Mohsenw700

Mohsen,

In some cases, the crash happens during a certain initiation state, and the window showing it may give a clue. When it happens at once, it is something more fundamental.

Have you tried creating a new user and tried to start Illy from that?

It might also be a disturbance from an anti virus application, not just from a firewall (Norton seems to be especially troublesome), so maybe a a disconnexion from the internet followed by a closedown of any security software might be worth trying.

Still pondering.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2009 6:05 AM   in reply to Mohsenw700

Mohsen,

I certainly hope you will not end up with #11. I had some hopes for #13 and #16.

Still pondering.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2009 6:16 AM   in reply to Mohsenw700

TRUST ME!, THIS IS THE ONLY ONE SOLUTION

I have a friend with the same problem, and the only solution to fixed was formatting the PC and reinstalling windows, its a hard solution but it works...warrantee

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2009 5:10 AM   in reply to Mohsenw700

Mohsen,

Obviously, there must be a certain error or corruption causing the issue, but I still have no new suggestions.

If your (main) harddisk is from Seagate and/or Maxtor, you may use Maxtor Maxblast 5 to create a full image of it and save on another disk (harddisk or DVD, if the latter is sufficient). This may apply to before and after, if you have to restore the PC completely. In any case, it may be your friend, to use when thing are right, before they go wrong.

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=MaxBlast_5&vgn extoid=7add8b9c4a8ff010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

But before such a disastrous option, it may be worth trying out all the suggestions again: sometimes a seemingly insignificant difference in how things are done may be decisive.

Meanwhile, I am still pondering.

And hoping that someone has the solution.

Someone?

It may also be something outside Illy. In the days of the fair forums, I would have asked Len to look into this, but he has left the building. However, Mylenium has arrived with a vast knowledge, too.

Mylenium?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2009 6:54 AM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Jacob Bugge wrote:

In the days of the fair forums, I would have asked Len to look into this, but he has left the building.

Surely he, not to mention all the others, must be hanging around some other building... ???? Any idea which or where?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2009 7:07 AM   in reply to shunithD

Shunith,

Surely he, not to mention all the others, must be hanging around some other building... ???? Any idea which or where?

Len stopped as a host about two years ago, I think; he needed to do more about his business. He has only posted a few times since then, in the first months. Sadly, many friends from the days of the fair forums show up rarely or not at all.

But as I said, we have Mylenium.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2009 7:28 AM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

You're right Jacob... and it's not just this forum. All have been hit hard...

More than anything else, i think it was the removal of the NNTP...

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2009 1:11 AM   in reply to Mohsenw700

Mohsen,

I am still no wiser than I was in post #22.

Are you?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2009 2:02 AM   in reply to Mohsenw700

Mohsen,

The solution here may be worth trying: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/536077?tstart=0

I will add it to the list in any case.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2009 4:05 AM   in reply to Mohsenw700

Can't say much about the topic at hand since I'm not on W7, but empty screens = overlay drawing issues. That's true for any OS. In turn that would lead to the conclusion, that you need to fix your graphics card river more than anything else. That's probably what happened, anyway - some Windows Update replaced a DirectX DLL or installed a new graphics driver without asking. I suggest you do the following:

• boot Windows in safe mode (hold F8 during startup, then choose safe mode)
    • while in safe mode, right-click on the desktop and choose Configure
    • choose the Display task
    • go to the Advanced Settings tab
    • go to the Driver sub-tab
    • choose Uninstall
    • restart the system
    • boot again into safe mode

Windows should now come up with a message about newly found hardware and set the default graphics driver. This will either be the generic WXGA driver or an older version of a branded driver from intel, NVidia or ATI. in any case, it might fix things. Then restart and boot into Windows normally. from there, check your graphics settings. Install a proper new driver only if you really need it.

Moving the prefs folder has already been advised, but there is no shame in trying again. Move/ delete C:\Users\Mohsen\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CS4 Settings\en_US and see if it helps in any way. What is particulalrly suspicious is the document templates not showing up in the welcome dialog, so you may also have a permission problem somewhere, but that's hard to tell from your limited info...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2009 7:53 AM   in reply to Mohsenw700

Mohsen,

Does it mean that if you move that font out (of the Fonts folder), the issue goes away?

If so, it means that your assumption in post #4 was right (that it was issue 1. in post #3), and you have your solution: it also means that you will have to do without that font or find a viable replacement.

Illy is more particular than most other applications when it comes to the quality of fonts.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2009 12:58 PM   in reply to Mohsenw700

Now that was a happy ending, Mohsen. Congratulations.

You must have a lot to catch up, after 25 days.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2013 7:49 AM   in reply to Mohsenw700

What was the problem?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers