Skip navigation
markmagennis
Currently Being Moderated

Can't create PDF from Word file

Dec 1, 2009 2:46 PM

I may be missing some functionality or that functionality may not exist.

I'm running Acrobat Pro 9.2 and MS Word 2004 (11.5) on OSX Leopard 10.5.8. I want to create a PDF from a Word file but NOT using the Print dialog. I want to either create it in Acrobat using File > Create PDF > From File or create it from within Word using the Acrobat menu/toolbar. This is so that it will end up as a tagged PDF.

However, I don't have an Acrobat menu or toolbar in Word. I thought Acrobat was supposed to have installed these into MS Office when I installed Acrobat. And when within Acrobat if I select File > Create PDF > From File and choose a Word file, I get a message "Acrobat could not open 'filename.doc' because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged". This happens for all Word files.

Looking in Acrobat > About Adobe Plug-Ins... under Convert2AdobePDF it says 'Loaded: no'.

Are these two methods of converting Word files to PDFs something that can only be done in the Windows version of Acrobat? Or is there a plug-in or update I can download to install this missing functionality?

Thanks for your help,
Mark

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 1, 2009 2:56 PM   in reply to markmagennis

Windows only, sorry.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2009 3:50 PM   in reply to markmagennis

Nope, Word for Mac doesn't have the hooks in the code to do this sort of document creation. You will need to use the Adobe Printer or you could flow the Word document into an InDesign project and export the tagged PDF from there.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2009 6:39 PM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

Keep your Office2004. But Office 2008 does have a way to create PDF's from within  the word and excel Programs.

It works better than through the AdobePDF Printer, or through the Apple Print menus save as PDF. (Unless you have X.6.x Snow leopard)

One thing it gets around is a long standing Problem Acrobat has had with word and excel since Word 6.0.1.a/Excel 5.0.1a. Acrobat doesn't know how to interpert Word Page section Breaks. Chopping up a word/excel document in to multiple PDFs that have to be merged back together. MS came up with their own PDF Converter that gets around that problem.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points