Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

11.5.2.602 Group Policy Installation issues

Dec 2, 2009 1:57 AM

Consider the following scenario:

BigCorp wants to deploy a limited amount of software to their MS Windows desktop service, such that they can provide a rich browsing experience at login after a machine is joined to the domain.  To facilitate this, they deploy browser plug-ins such as Flash and Shockwave using group policy software installation (GPSI).

This is a sensible decision, as there are vendor provided MSIs available to use and it ensures that the software is easily managed (upgrades, removal etc)

When attempting to deploy Shockwave v11.5.2.602 an incorrect repair of the MSI is triggered on first use of the software for each user.

On a standalone, otherwise clean, Windows XP SP3 machine with IE7:

1. Install the software as a user with the correct rights (AdminUser), using the MSI direct from Adobe. 
2. Logout AdminUser and Login StandardUser
3. Visit http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/  - At this point the MSI runs a repair and logs the following to the application event log:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: MsiInstaller
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1004
Date:  02/12/2009
Time:  09:30:48
User:  IT-2220-VM4\Standard
Computer: IT-2220-VM4
Description:
Detection of product '{7D0F2155-D7D3-42CE-903F-684ADD77FF89}', feature 'Adobe_Shockwave_Player_', component '{E89F323D-7BDB-46E1-A0FD-6227821F94EA}' failed.  The resource 'C:\Documents and Settings\AdminUser\Application Data\Adobe\' does not exist.

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: MsiInstaller
Event ID: 1001
Time:  09:30:48
Description:
Detection of product '{7D0F2155-D7D3-42CE-903F-684ADD77FF89}', feature 'Adobe_Shockwave_Player_' failed during request for component '{3D3697FC-DB90-46D8-9ED4-5D54B4901F62}'

*** Please note the path in EventID 1004 above (C:\Documents and Settings\AdminUser\Application Data\Adobe\) has been generated whilst logged in as StandardUser NOT AdminUser. ***

This condition will always be true, since there is no read permission on another users profile for a standard user account.  Granting this right is not desirable in a roaming profile environment. This repair will be triggered for each and every user of the machine.

Though this repair appears to be non-destructive and doesn't appear to inhibit successful removal, it is undesirable behaviour.

Furthermore, and as other have mentioned, loading a shockwave item in a browser (IE7 in our case) also results in the following entry in the system event log:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: DCOM
Event ID: 10000
Time:  09:30:49
Description:
Unable to start a DCOM Server: {1F3CB77D-D339-49E0-B8E4-FECD6D6F8CB8}. The error:
"The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect. "
Happened while starting this command:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Adobe\SHOCKW~1\SWHELP~1.EXE" -Embedding

We are keen to move to the latest version of Shockwave, for the obvious reasons, but these issues are going to make it difficult to get through our change management processes; as the package doesn't meet the requirements we have laid out for our user experiences.

Can someone at Adobe comment on the reason for this undesirable behaviour and how it came about? Can we expect later versions of Shockwave to exhibit the same behaviour?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 17, 2010 6:57 AM   in reply to ord_2

I'm seeing exactly the same issue with 11.5.2.602/6. I'm still testing but it only seems to affect 'users' I've not seen the issue when logged on as an administrator 'yet'.

Come on Adobe at least keep half an eye on your forums.

I've opened a support request with Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2010 12:01 PM   in reply to ord_2

I'm observing exactly the same issue with the version 11.5.6.606. Although it triggers a quick repair for any single user who launches the application for the first time, it has been decided in our shop that we would deploy it at large regardless. It would be interesting anyway to have some feedbacks from cookie_monster2 following his conversation with Adobe.

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2010 12:24 AM   in reply to cx3151

Unfortunatly with mandatory profiles our users 1000+ get this every time.

I did raise a support request with Adobe through their online support, I received an automated response telling me someone would be in touch/look at the issue within 3 bussiness days. That was the 17th Feb and i've not heard yet. I did include this link in the support request so I can only assume someone will look at some point. Knowing Adobe they'll either ignore it or silently fix it and never post it back here, what a useful forum.

Mr Monster.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2010 8:55 AM   in reply to cookie_monster2

Hi,

I have posted an MST file which fixes this and other issues to the following thread here:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2697135#2697135

Please post any feedback to that thread!

Kind regards,

Chris Hill

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points